First year freshman students enrolled full time are required to live in on-campus housing during their first two (2) years following their high school graduation. The program will explore additional academic, social, and cultural living and learning communities for students in the third and fourth semesters at W&M.
|High School Graduation Year||
Required to Live on Academic Years
2022-23 & 2023-24
|2023||2023-24 & 2024-25
|2024||2024-25 & 2025-26
2025-26 & 2026-27
2026-27 & 2027-28
Housing Agreement & Housing Assignment
- Failure to sign the contract will not release a student from this requirement and Residence Life will still provide a housing assignment. Our office will follow up with students who are required to live on campus to confirm completion of the housing contract.
- Unless a written notice of approval and/or contract release is issued from Residence Life, a student is expected to occupy the assigned room.
- A student is not considered exempt from the residency requirement if they do not complete a housing application and/or contract. Failure to take possession of the assigned space is not grounds for an exemption to the residency requirement and/or to have associated charges reversed.
When do Housing Contracts Go Live?
- January 30, 2023 – Returning Students Online Housing Contract for Fall 2023
- May 1, 2023 – New Students Online Housing Contract for Fall 2023
- November 1, 2023 - New and Returning Students online Housing Contracts for Spring 2024 only
Does the Two Year Live on Requirement Include Transfers?
No, transfer students are not included in this requirement.
Study Away Programs:
If you plan to study away fall of your sophomore year/3rd semester you will be required to live on campus spring semester of your sophomore year/4th semester. If you study away spring of your sophomore year/4th semester you will not be required to live on the fall of your junior year/5th semester.If you are participating in the Semester in Washington D.C. Program and live in the Washington Program Student Housing fall or spring of your sophomore year, this will count toward your two year live on requirement.
Can First or Second Year Students be Released from the Housing Requirement?
Generally, the answer is no. However, there are limited circumstances under which a first or second year student might request release from the housing requirement.
Reasons for contract release eligibility are limited to:
- Students who are married
- Students with dependent children who reside with them
- Students who receive a medical housing contract release through the W&M Student Accessibility Services office (SAS@wm.edu). This option is only considered if Residence Life is unable to provide housing that meets the approved accommodation.
- Students who reside full-time during the academic year at the primary residence
of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) within a 60 driving miles from the W&M Williamsburg campus
Contract Release Submission, Evaluation and Decision Process:
- Contract release requests must be submitted on the Contract Release page of the Housing Application.
- Any contract release request not completed within thirty (30) days of initiation will be discarded
- Contract release requests will be reviewed on the basis of current policies stipulated in the housing contract.
- Applicants will be notified of the decision in writing.
- Release request decisions are final. There is no appeal process.
- Residence Life generally will respond to initial requests within fifteen (15) business days.
- Contract Release requests will not be reviewed after add/drop, both fall and spring semesters.
Can Freshmen and Sophomores Have Cars on Campus?
- Freshmen and sophomores may only have cars on campus under special circumstances, requiring prior written approval from Parking Services.
Need to complete a housing contract and application? Head over to the Housing Portal