Latest about COVID-19 and W&M's Path Forward.

Info for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

2015-16 Housing Contract & Guide

Residence Life | Housing Contract Terms and Conditions | Policies | Special Housing Options | Other Information

Download the Housing Contract (pdf)

The College reserves the right to make reasonable modifications to this contract to insure safety or protection of property, provided reasonable advance notice is given.

Residence Life has overall responsibility for the management of the university’s student residences. 

Residence Life Mission

Residence Life at the College of William & Mary seeks to provide a safe and secure living community that complements the mission of the College and contributes to individual development.

Return to Top

Residence Life Staff

The Associate Vice President for Student Affairs/Director of Residence Life oversees all functions of the Residence Life and First Year Experience offices.  The Associate VP is responsible for the direction, coordination and management of all aspects of these programs, including long-term facilities and financial planning.

The Director for Housing Operations has primary responsibility for all matters concerning the physical environment of the residence halls including maintaining an inventory of all furnishings and equipment, residence hall safety and security, key control and serves as liaison to Facilities Management, the laundry contractor and Auxiliary Services.

The Associate Director for Administration has responsibility for the room assignment and room change processes, directs the summer housing program, updates housing publications and serves as a liaison to Information Technology and the St. Andrews Joint Degree Programme.

The Associate Director for Community Development provides leadership to the department’s philosophy of self-governance known as Self-Determination along with community development, leadership, student learning, student staffing, and programmatic functions.

The Assistant Director for Community Development coordinates the staff and functions of the Programming Resource Center and works with the Associate Director for Community Development to provide leadership to the department’s philosophy of self-governance known as Self-Determination along with community development, leadership, student learning, student staffing, and programmatic functions

The Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing is a live-in staff member who is responsible for the day to day management and administration of the Fraternity Houses and Sorority Court.  The responsibilities of Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing include counseling, crisis intervention, referrals, programming, community development and adjudication of student conduct cases.  The Assistant Director also selects, trains, supervises and evaluates the student staff assigned to the residential area, and coordinates maintenance and custodial issues for the buildings.

The six Area Directors (ADs) are live-in staff members who are responsible for the day to day management and administration of a specific group of buildings, considered their area.  The responsibilities of Area Directors include counseling, crisis intervention, referrals, programming, community development and adjudication of student conduct cases.  They also select, train, supervise and evaluate the student staff assigned to their residential area, as well as coordinate maintenance and custodial issues for their buildings.

The Administrative Support Staff oversees financial recordkeeping, damage billing, data records, personnel, payroll issues and other central office functions.

Two Recycling Workers collect recyclables from selected lounges and kitchens in the residence halls as well as service the smaller exterior collection points across the campus in general.

One Building Support Worker executes minor maintenance in support of Facilities Management personnel in the fraternities and sororities.

Graduate and undergraduate student staff members: 

The Graduate Complex Director (CD) supervises the Graduate Resident Assistants (GRAs) in the Graduate Complex.  The Complex Director works with the Apartments Council, coordinates the duty office, and oversees other administrative tasks for the complex.

The Graduate Resident Assistants (GRAs) coordinate programming and administrative tasks for the Graduate Complex buildings to which they are assigned.

The graduate Hall Directors (HDs) supervise and evaluate the Resident Assistants in the buildings to which they are assigned.  They advise Hall Council, oversee administrative tasks, coordinate the duty office, and assist the Area Director with administrative and programming support.

The Head Residents (HRs) advise Hall Councils and coordinate duty office procedures and duty responsibilities for the Resident Assistants in their area.  In addition, they assist the Area Director with administrative and programming support.

The Resident Assistants (RAs) are assigned a hall, wing, section of a building, or a cluster of apartments.  They live with the residents and work to develop community within the unit.  They are responsible for programming and assist the Area Director with administrative tasks as assigned.

The Program Advocates (PAs) are a team of five students who staff the Programming Resource Center.  They provide expertise, ideas and materials to support the programming efforts of RAs and other Residence Life Staff, as well as Hall Council members, Residence Hall Association (RHA), National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) and those students seeking support for campus programming initiatives.

The Housing Assistants (HAs) are a team of eight students who assist with safety and security inspections in the fraternity and sorority houses.  They assist the Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing with administrative tasks in the houses and communicate with the residents.

Residence Hall Areas

The residence halls are divided into seven residential areas.
Richmond Road Area

  • Bryan Complex (Bryan, Camm, Dawson, Madison, and Stith)
  • DuPont
  • Monroe
  • Old Dominion

Jamestown/Botetourt Area

  • Jamestown North and South
  • Botetourt Complex (Dinwiddie, Fauquier, Gooch, Nicholson and Spotswood

Fraternity and Sorority Area

  • Fraternity houses
  • Sorority Court

Randolph/Green & Gold Village Area

  • Randolph Complex (Cabell, Giles, Harrison, Page, Pleasants, Preston, Nicholas, and Tazewell)
  • Green & Gold Village (Griffin, Lion, and Eagle)
  • Colonial Williamsburg House

James Rowe Area

  • Barrett
  • Chandler
  • Jefferson
  • Landrum
  • Lodges

Outer Limits Area

  • Brown
  • Graduate Apartments
  • Hunt
  • Ludwell Apartments
  • Reves
  • Taliaferro

OTY Area

  • One Tribe Place
  • Tribe Square
  • Yates

Duty Offices
Residence Life operates fourteen Duty Offices in six residential areas. A staff member is on duty each night while school is in session from 6 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Duty office hours are 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday – Thursday and 6 p.m. to 11.30 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights in undergraduate housing and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Graduate Complex.  These staff members are available to answer questions, check out area equipment and do periodic rounds of the residence area. Duty Offices have spare keys, extra toilet paper and helpful information.  In addition, some Hall Councils have purchased TVs, vacuum cleaners, DVD players and games that residents can check out from the Duty Office using their IDs.

During the summer session, a staff member is on duty every night from 6 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and available in the duty office from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Opportunities for Events and Activities
Residence hall staff members plan activities and events in the halls throughout the year to foster social and academic development.  These activities are supplemented by the events and activities planned by individual Hall Councils and the Residence Hall Association (RHA).

Residence Hall Councils
Residence Hall Councils are student-run governing bodies elected in each of the residence halls/areas.  Hall/Apartment Councils help plan educational and social activities, recommend hall improvements, advise on policy issues, administer Self-Determination and oversee Community Agreements.  Hall Councils are a great way for students to meet each other and develop leadership skills. (See Self-Determination under the Policy section.)

Hall Council Dues  Hall Councils request dues from each resident at check-in.  These dues are not mandatory but are used to fund activities, study breaks, and the purchase of equipment (kitchen, recreation, etc.).

National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
NRHH is the recognition branch of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls (NACURH).  Chapter membership is restricted to the top 1% of residence hall leaders.

Residence Hall Association (RHA)
RHA is the representative governing body for all William & Mary residence Hall Councils.  This group offers opportunities for leadership across the state, region and nation. (757) 221-1950.

Room Selection Process
While freshmen are required to live on campus, housing beyond the freshman year is neither required nor guaranteed.  Each spring, returning students who plan to live on campus must pay a $200 non-refundable deposit to be eligible to participate in the annual Room Selection Process.  Details regarding this process are available from any Residence Life staff member and are accessible on the Residence Life web site.

Back to Top



 The student’s signature or electronic acceptance of the Residence Life Housing Contract indicates that the student agrees to and accepts the following terms and conditions.

Once a space in housing is accepted (individually or as part of a roommate group) this contract becomes a binding contract for a space in campus housing for a full academic year or 11½ months for Tribe Square. Prior to occupancy, this Contract must be signed and dated or electronically accepted as evidence of acceptance of the terms, conditions and regulations stated in this Contract.  At the time of occupancy, if the student is not 18 years old, a parent or legal guardian of the student will be required to cosign the Contract.  When a student properly changes rooms, this contract is transferred to the new space.  Failure to pick up a key does not release the student from this Contract.

University Regulations
The resident will abide by the regulations of the university set forth in the current edition of the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy, the regulations set forth in the Housing Contract and Resource Guide and by the regulations established by the Residence Hall Council of the building in which he/she resides. This includes provisions outlined in the Community Agreements established by each living unit.  The provisions of this Housing Contract may only be waived or modified in writing by the Associate Vice President/Director of Residence Life.

The Vice President for Student Affairs, Dean of Students,  Associate Vice President/Director of Residence Life, Director of Housing Operations, Associate Directors of Residence Life, Assistant Directors of Residence Life, Area Directors and the staff of residences (Complex Director, Head Residents, Hall Directors, Resident Assistants, Graduate Resident Assistants, Housing Assistants and Program Advocates) are responsible for enforcing regulations as outlined in the current edition of the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy.

It is expressly understood that violation of policies in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy, Residence Life Resource Guide or of the terms of this Housing Contract by the resident may result in penalties ranging from a warning to the resident being discharged from the university's residence halls to permanent dismissal from the university. The university is under no obligation to house a resident whose Contract has been previously terminated due to a failure to abide by the conditions of this Contract.

Where appropriate for the personal safety of the resident(s) and by adherence to the university conduct process, the university reserves the right to remove a student from his/her residence hall. Students removed from the residence halls for violations of the Contract will still be held to the financial obligations for the Contract period (fall and spring).  In addition, the university may exclude a student from the residences to protect the public health or the health of the student under the policy and procedure outlined in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy.

This Contract sets forth the terms and conditions under which William & Mary will grant the Student the ability to occupy a space in student housing incidental to the university’s provision of academic services to the Student. It is not a lease. Therefore, in accordance with Virginia Landlord & Tenant laws, this Contract is entered into by the university and the Student in full acknowledgement that public and private higher education institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia (such as William &Mary) with residential on-campus student housing assignments are not bound by the Virginia Landlord and Tenant Laws. Among other things, the university is not obligated to follow civil court proceedings related to removal of the Student and the Student’s property from the on-campus student housing assignment, but may automatically remove the Student and the Student’s property from on-campus housing if the university determines that this Contract has been violated or the Student otherwise does not qualify for student housing.

Back to top

Checking into a Room
Room Key
Each resident will receive a room key and, where applicable, a front door key. ID card readers are available on most residence halls.  Residents sign a check-in key envelope indicating that they have obtained their key(s) or combination. Residents may not change or add locks (including chain locks, deadbolts, etc.).  Duplication of room keys is prohibited.
Room Condition Residence Life staff members conduct pre-occupancy readiness inspections of all resident rooms prior to check-in.  In addition, residents will get an opportunity to submit information about the condition of their room via an on-line form. This form must be completed within two weeks of check-in.   After two weeks the resident may be held financially responsible for damages or loss to the assigned space.
Early Check-In Residents must abide by the appointed schedule for arrival.  Early arrivals will be limited to those student leaders and groups designated essential to university activities in advance of the official opening. Individual residents who are approved by Residence Life to arrive early will be assessed an additional charge that will be charged to their student account.  All early arrivals must abide by all university rules, regulations and policies. Early arrival approvals apply only to the individual being approved by Residence Life and does not extend to friends, roommates or apartment-mates and includes not storing belongings for another student.

Checking out of a Room
Residents who change rooms, withdraw or otherwise leave university housing must return their keys to a Residence Life staff member or the Residence Life Office within 48 hours. If a key is lost or not returned by the stated deadline, a $40 charge per key will be assessed.  Unauthorized copies of keys will not be accepted.  At final check‑out, keys must be received by the Area Director/Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing by noon on the day following Commencement.
Late Check-Out Non-graduating residents who are approved by Residence Life to remain beyond the stated deadline will be billed an additional charge.
Withdrawals/Room changes during the semester  When a resident changes rooms, withdraws or is separated from the university or its residences for any reason, the resident will remove all personal belongings from the university premises, vacate the residence and return key(s) within 48 hours. All residents are provided an opportunity to meet with a Residence Life staff member once they have moved all of their belongings from their room.  The staff member may collect the room key(s) and evaluate the condition of the room, noting any damages, missing items or cleaning concerns.  Residents who fail to check out with a Residence Life staff member are subject to charges for any or all damages/loss or cleaning of the room. Exceptions to the 48-hour provision may be authorized for good cause by Residence Life.
Withdrawals at the end of the Fall semester   Students who will not continue to live in the same room during the spring semester are required to remove all their belongings from their room at the end of the fall semester.  The resident will be provided with an opportunity to meet with a Residence Life staff member who will collect the room key(s) and evaluate the condition of the room and note any damages, missing items or cleaning concerns.

Abandoned Property The university will not be responsible for damage or loss of any personal property not removed within 48 hours after a student withdraws, separates from the university, or after the residence halls close in the spring. A room-cleaning charge will be assessed against any student who fails to remove his/her items or personal property within 48 hours of withdrawal or separation.  Personal property left in hallways, stairwells, lounges and other common areas will be considered abandoned property and will be discarded.

Back to top

Contract Period
The term of this Contract is for both fall 2015 and spring 2016 semesters until 48 hours after completion of a  resident's last regularly scheduled exam for non-graduating students and noon on the day following Commencement in May for graduating students.  The Housing Contract for residents of Tribe Square covers 11½ months, consisting of summer 2015, fall 2015 and spring 2016 and ends at noon on the day following Commencement in May for students who have not contracted to live in Tribe Square for the next academic year.

Cancellation Policy   Students who select housing through a manual or on-line process, or are part of a roommate group during an on-line process, have 24-hours from the time of the selection or acceptance of housing to cancel their housing assignment without additional penalty but do forfeit the $200 deposit.   Cancelling a housing selection during any part of the Room Selection Process removes the student from the Room Selection Process for that year.  Members of a fraternity or sorority who have committed to their chapter houses are only eligible to cancel with written approval from the chapter president.  The cancellation policy does not apply to freshman housing assignments. 

After the 24-hour cancellation period and prior to August 1 the following cancellation schedule and fees apply:

  1. Prior to April 30: If a request for cancellation is received on or before this date the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and a $100 cancellation fee will be billed to the student account.
  2. May 1 to May 31: If a request for cancellation is received between these dates the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and a $250 cancellation fee will be billed to the student account.
  3. June 1 to June 30: If a request for cancellation is received between these dates the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and a $400 cancellation fee will be billed to the student account.
  4. July 1 to July 31: If a request for cancellation is received between these dates the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and a $500 cancellation fee will be billed to the student account.

Cancellation requests should be emailed from the student’s William & Mary email account to and include student name, student ID number, space selected and a statement requesting cancellation. 

Beginning August 1 students seeking to be released from their on-campus housing contract must petition the Contract Release Committee.  A release may be granted only to students who can demonstrate through the written petition and supporting documentation that their situation is extraordinary and cannot be resolved in campus housing.   Petitions are considered on a case by case basis and release is not guaranteed. 

Summer Cancellation Policy   The following cancelation policy applies to students assigned to academic year housing outside the room selection process timeline or during the summer months prior to August 1.   Once a housing offer for the academic year is accepted students have 24-hours from the time of acceptance of housing to cancel their housing assignment without penalty.  After the 24-hour cancellation period and prior to August 1 the following cancellation schedule and fees apply:

  1. Two weeks from the date of acceptance students may cancel housing with a $100 cancellation fee.
  2. After two weeks and prior to August 1 students may cancel housing with a $250 cancellation fee.
  3. Beginning August 1 students seeking to be released from their on-campus housing contract must petition the Contract Release Committee.  A release may be granted only to students who can demonstrate through the written petition and supporting documentation that their situation is extraordinary and cannot be resolved in campus housing.   Petitions are considered on a case-by-case basis and release is not guaranteed.) 

Release from Housing Contract   The Housing Contract covers an entire academic year (fall and spring semesters) and cannot be broken midyear.  The Housing Contract for residents of Tribe Square covers 11½ months, consisting of summer, fall and spring.  If a student enrolls at the university but does not occupy the assigned room, he/she must still pay for the room for the entire academic year.  Failure to pick up a room key(s) does not release a currently enrolled student from this contract. A student will only be released from his/her Housing Contract for the following reasons: If he/she:  (1) gets married (a copy of the current marriage certificate is required for verification); (2) is accepted in a William and Mary approved Domestic or Study Abroad program; (3) is academically dismissed; (4) is required to withdraw due to medical reasons; (5) transfers to another institution (copy of acceptance letter to the institution required for verification); (6) completes and pays the cancellation fee as noted above; or (7) is released by the Contract Release Committee.  Refunds will follow the policies set forth in the Undergraduate Program Catalog and may include forfeiture of the Room Reservation Deposit.
Contract Release Committee   Upper-level and graduate students with extraordinary circumstances may seek to be released from their Housing Contract by submitting a written petition to the Contract Release Committee.   The following reasons do not constitute extraordinary circumstances:  delay in receiving housing due to wait list status, failure to read and understand that the housing contract is binding, displeasure with housing or roommate assignment, signing a lease or purchasing a home off campus.  Students are strongly encouraged to gain contract release approval prior to making any commitments off campus housing.  Petitions must be submitted to Residence Life in care of the Contract Release Committee.  This Committee will review the written documentation and the student will be notified by e-mail of the Committee=s decision.  The Committee will review petitions during the first and third weeks of each month and the decision of the Committee is final. Freshmen seeking a change to their on-campus housing requirement must contact the Associate Vice President/Director of Residence Life.
Temporary Housing   The university reserves the right to assign incoming freshmen to temporary accommodations in the event that regular room assignments are not available.  Freshmen assigned to temporary assignments will be required to relocate to a permanent space as rooms become available.

Special Interest House Allocation   In the event a group loses its Special Interest House allocation, Residence Life reserves the right to reassign individuals to alternative spaces.  If loss of Special Interest Housing for the succeeding year occurs after individual Housing Contracts are signed but prior to the annual room selection process, the individual Housing Contract will be canceled and those students will have the option of selecting rooms in the room selection process.

Back to top

Damage/Loss Charges
Room Damage/Loss
  The resident (and roommate(s) where assigned) is responsible for damages to his/her room, as well as damage and/or loss to the furnishings and fixtures the university has provided. The resident agrees to pay for the restoration of the property to its condition at the time of occupancy or for repairs or replacement (except normal wear and tear), unless the identity of others responsible for the damage or loss is established and proven by the resident(s). Resident(s) are responsible for any damage or loss to the premises caused by their guests. This responsibility extends until the resident is officially checked out of the assigned space by a Residence Life staff member. Charges for damages, cleaning, replacement of furniture, etc. shall be divided by the number of students assigned to the room. If one or more roommates assume responsibility for damages, cleaning, replacement of furniture, etc., a written statement signed by the responsible party must be noted on the Closing Agreement, which must be signed by all of the room's residents and submitted to the Area Director or Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing indicating who specifically should be charged.  Charges will not be assessed to one roommate based solely on another roommate’s claim.  Students should ensure all windows and doors to the room are locked and secured before their final departure at check-out.

Common Area Damage/Loss   It is understood that the residents are responsible for any damage or loss caused or non-routine cleaning or trash removal required to the common areas of the residence halls and their furnishings, including vending machines and other equipment placed in the residence halls as a convenience to the residents. Common areas include hallways, stairwells, recreation rooms, kitchens, study rooms, living rooms, laundry rooms, common bathrooms, and lounges. When damage occurs, the student(s) will be billed directly for the repairs. Individual Hall Councils have the authority (along with Residence Life staff) to assess and assign charges for these damages.  Common Area Charges that are assigned by the Hall/Apartments Councils will be collected directly by Hall/Apartments Council representatives prior to the end of the semester.  Residents are expected to provide payment to the Hall/Apartments Council representative.  If at the end of the year charges assigned by the Hall/Apartments Council have not been paid, Residence Life will bill the student directly with the addition of a $15 administrative charge.  Damages may also result in action through the Code of Conduct. Those students who are responsible for vandalism or theft may be removed from and/or denied future housing in university residence halls.

Procedures for appealing damage charges   In the event the resident wishes to contest charges for damages or loss, the following procedure is prescribed:
(1)  Contact in writing the Area Director or Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing for the building in which the alleged damage occurred.  For Hall/Apartments Council levied damage billing, appeals may be heard by the Hall/Apartment Council or the Hall/Apartments Council’s designates prior to the last day of classes in the spring semester.  After the last day of classes in the spring semester the Area Director or Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing will hear all appeals.
(2) Residents may appeal the decision of the Area Director or Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing by contacting the Director of Housing Operations in writing or through email.  The decision of the Director of Housing Operations is final. Appeals of Hall Council levied damages will be forwarded automatically to the Appeals Board.
(3) Appeals will be heard by the Appeals Board consisting of three representatives from the Residence Hall Association (RHA).  The decision of the Appeals Board is final.
(4) Charges must be appealed in writing within 30 days of the date of the bill. Bills received during the summer must be appealed in writing before the end of the first full week of classes in the fall semester.

Only registered and currently enrolled degree seeking William & Mary students, including research graduates, are eligible to reside in university housing.

All freshman students are required to live in university housing.  Freshman student status, as defined by this policy is first-time, full-time college or university student status for two semesters (i.e., no full-time college or university experience after high school).

Exceptions to the freshman residency requirement may be appealed to the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs/Director of Residence Life for these reasons:
(1) freshmen who commute daily within a 30-mile radius from the homes of their parents or legal guardians;
(2) freshmen who are 21 years of age or older; or
(3) married freshmen.

Freshmen who transfer to William and Mary before completing two full-time semesters at another college or university will be eligible to reside in campus housing provided they have been admitted and a housing application is received in Residence Life by the first week in May for the fall semester and the first week in December for the spring semester.

The movement of a first year student assigned to a first year student residence to an upper-level residence or off‑campus is not permitted. The same policy applies to upper-class students requesting a move to first year student buildings.

Part-time and unclassified students may apply for housing but will only be offered a space after all full-time degree seeking students have been accommodated.  Students currently residing in campus housing who are approved to drop to part-time status will not be required to leave campus housing.

Students currently residing in campus housing who complete their undergraduate degree in December and are admitted and immediately enroll in an official W&M graduate program are permitted to remain in their current housing assignment for the remained of the academic year.

Back to top

Emergency Readiness
Emergency Evacuation Plans
All students in campus housing are required to have an emergency evacuation plan on file with the university prior to the first day of undergraduate classes.  Failure to submit a plan is a violation of the Code of Conduct and will result in a referral to Student Conduct.
In the event the university determines evacuation of the residence halls is necessary all students in housing will be required to vacate their rooms and will not be allowed to return until the university officially reopens.  This includes residents of CW House, Tribe Square, and the Graduate Complex.

Shelter-In-Place Policy  
When emergency conditions do not warrant or allow time to evacuate campus, students may be asked to take shelter inside their residence hall.  A shelter-in-place alert will be given by William & Mary’s Emergency Management Team (EMT) to limit student and employee exposure to apparent life-threatening, hostile or hazardous situations.  To be prepared for an emergency, residents are encouraged to keep a supply of required medications along with snacks and bottled water in their rooms.

If a shelter-in-place alert is communicated:

  • Follow the instructions provided by the EMT to either remain where you are or to go immediately to your residence hall.
  • Stay where you are until an ‘all clear’ notice is given.  Do not go outside for any reason.
  • Close and lock all windows and close your window blinds/shades.
  • If instructed, turn off all air conditioners, heaters, and fans.  Close all vents.
  • Stay inside.  If instructed, stay out of lounges and hallways as much as possible.
  • Gather essential supplies like your mobile phone, ID, medications, bottled water, and snacks.
  • Wait for further instructions

Facilities Management
The follow services are provided by Facilities Management and can be accessed by calling 757-221-2270 or through the on-line service request system.  Students who need assistance to submit online service requests should contact a member of the Residence Life staff.

Building Services/Trash Removal   Building Services staff is responsible for routine cleaning of common areas, such as hallways, stairwells, common area bathrooms and lounges.  Hallways and stairwells must be kept free of personal belongings that could impede the ability of Building Services staff to maintain these areas.  No cleaning services are provided for apartments, Lodges, or suite/private bathrooms.  Students are expected to maintain their rooms in an orderly and sanitary condition. This includes removal of personal trash (ex: trash bags, pizza boxes, etc.) to a university dumpster and recycling to university approved recycling areas.  Residents may be charged a fee for the removal of personal trash from common areas.

Extermination Residents must take care in keeping their rooms and common areas clean to prevent insect infestation.  The university is under contract with an extermination service to respond to specific insect and pest problems.  This service must be requested through the Facilities Management service request system by the resident(s).

Maintenance   While the university is responsible for the routine maintenance, the resident is responsible for reporting maintenance concerns in their assigned spaces (room, apartment, suite/private bathroom, etc.). The university will provide electrical power, heat and water and maintain these utilities under controllable conditions.  As a condition of this Contract the university shall not be responsible or liable for any damage or loss to personal property caused by the cessation or failure of such utilities, no matter the reason.  Moreover, the university will not be in breach of this Contract if such utility service is suspended for any reason.  If the premises are rendered unsafe or unfit for occupancy the university will offer alternate campus housing if it is available or provide a prorated refund of the unused portion of the rent according to the schedule printed in the most recent edition of the William & Mary Catalog.
Repairs Requests for repairs should be filed by the resident on the Facilities Management web site (  If the repair is not made within a reasonable amount of time the resident should contact Facilities Management to determine the status of the service request using the service request number provided. If the repair is still not made, the Area Director or Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing should be notified of the situation and given the opportunity to resolve the problem.

Emergency Repairs   The Emergency Call Center (757-221-2270) operates Monday through Friday, 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays.  Routine facilities issues should be reported through the on-line service request form

Rent Rebates    If after a reasonable amount of time repairs are not made or sufficient reason for the delay provided, the resident may appeal to the Director of Housing Operations for a rent rebate or other solution.  Rebates are granted only in cases where the university has remained unresponsive and the condition of the premises is such that reasonable occupancy and use thereof is precluded.  The decision of the Director of Housing Operations concerning whether a  rebate is granted may be appealed  to the Residence Hall Association (RHA) Appeals Board.  Once a rebate has been granted, the amount of the rebate may not be appealed.  Rebate requests must be made prior to June 30 of the current contract year.

Back to top
The following is provided in each room: one bed, mattress (typically 36"x 80"), chest of drawers, closet/wardrobe, desk, and desk chair per student and one recycling container per room.  Other furnishings will vary according to the individual residence hall.  

  • Furniture provided by the university may not be removed from a resident’s room or apartment and should not be switched between rooms or with lounge furniture Residents may request removal of desk carrels and desk chairs.
  • University provided furniture from student rooms and common areas may not be taken outside. 
  • Furniture in One Tribe Place may not be removed from the room because of the unique set up of the spaces; residents may request additional furniture such as desks, wardrobes and dressers.
  • Window screens shall not be removed unless approved by Residence Life.  Students approved by the Student Health Center for a personal window air conditioner will automatically have their screen removed and stored by Facilities Management.
  • To maintain positive air pressure in the buildings, the windows in One Tribe Place are inoperable.  

Guests on the Hall
  Guests are expected to abide by all rules and regulations of William & Mary, Residence Life, and individual building Community Agreements. The resident is responsible for the behavior of his/her guests, including restitution for damage to university facilities.

Guests in the Room - In order to have a guest(s), residents must have the consent of the roommate(s)/apartment mate(s) on each occasion.  Extended visits and cohabitation (residency with someone other than an officially assigned roommate) are not permitted.

Inspections/Room Entry/Searches
Authorized personnel may enter a student room:
(1)  For the purpose of assuring fire protection, life safety, sanitation or scheduled maintenance and use of the university’s furnishings, fixtures and facilities. Any such inspections or entry, except in the case of emergencies, shall be announced 48 hours in advance by the posting of a notice in the residence hall or via e-mail notification. The resident’s absence will not prevent the carrying out of such maintenance or safety inspections.
(2) When an occupant has requested repairs or extermination by completing an on-line service request form, authorized maintenance personnel may enter in the resident’s absence for the sole purpose of making the repairs or exterminating as requested.
(3) To ensure the buildings are secured Residence Life staff will enter and check all resident rooms during closing for the Thanksgiving and semester breaks.  Visible violations of university policy will result in a referral to Student Conduct.
(4) If a roommate moves out of a room, a member of the Residence Life staff may enter the room following the completion of the move to inspect for damages/loss and ensure space is available for a new occupant.
(5) To verify that all vacancies are prepared for new occupants for the spring semester. A referral to Student Conduct and/or cleaning charges may be imposed on a resident if his/her room is not ready for a new occupant.
(6)  If noise (unattended loud music, alarm clock, etc.) coming from a room where the occupants are not present is causing a disruption to the community.
(7)  To unlock a suite bathroom door if it is reasonable to assume that suitemates will be gone overnight and/or being locked out of the bathroom creates a major inconvenience or safety hazard to locked-out residents.

Residence Life policy prohibits staff members from unlocking room doors for anyone other than the assigned occupant(s) (except in those cases outlined in the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities found in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy).

It is understood and agreed that a resident’s room or possessions on campus will not be searched by university authorities for violation of university rules and regulations or applicable law unless there is reasonable administrative cause to believe that a resident is using his/her room for purposes in violation of university rules or regulations, or in violation of this Contract and unless a certificate authorizing the search has been issued and signed by the Vice President of Student Affairs. The certificate shall state the source of information, the violation, the location of the search, the materials to be seized or information sought and the name(s) of the person(s) authorized to conduct the search. The foregoing does not apply to searches conducted by local or William & Mary Police.  Such searches are governed by the Code of Virginia.

Back to top

The university is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage to property resulting from fire, theft, casualty or any cause, or for personal injury occurring within the leased premises, except as may be required by Virginia law. It is strongly recommended that personal property insurance be obtained by each student. 

Meal Plan Requirement
All undergraduate students residing in campus housing are required to purchase a meal plan.  Students should refer to Dining Services for meal plan eligibility based on their social class.

Prohibited Items in the Residence Halls
Listed below are examples of items not permitted in the residence halls.  This list is not all-inclusive.

  • hoverboards
  • animals (excluding fish and pre-approved assistance animals)
  • bread machines
  • candles
  • ceiling fans
  • chain locks
  • curtains that are not fire rated – all curtains must be fire retardant and must have the tag intact to confirm the fire rating or the curtains have been treated with a fire retardant spray.  It is the responsibility of the resident to keep documentation regarding either the curtains or the spray to present to the State Fire Marshal if requested.
  • dead-bolt locks
  • explosives
  • firearms
  • fireworks
  • gasoline and combustible liquids
  • incense
  • live-cut Christmas trees
  • non-fused extension cords and multi-plug adapters – all extension cords and multi-plug adapters must be surge protected with a resettable internal circuit breaker.  This includes plug-in air fresheners, desk lamps and bed risers that have built-in adapters.
  • oil lamps
  • outside antennas
  • open flames
  • space heaters
  • torcheire-style (pole) halogen lamps
  • waterbeds
  • weapons 
  • The following kitchen appliances are prohibited in student rooms, but may be used in residence hall kitchens: bread machines, crock pots, immersion coils, hotpots that are not thermostatically controlled, rice cookers, hot plates, toaster ovens, broilers, George Foreman Grills, electric skillets/woks and other portable electric cooking devices.

Prohibited Activity in Student Rooms
Residential facilities and student rooms/apartments may not be used to conduct a business.

Back to top

The resident agrees to pay the university in advance, on a semester basis (including the summer session for Tribe Square residents), the rent established for the room as assigned. The initial rate for the assigned space at which the resident is billed for the assigned space (except for clerical error) is guaranteed for the entire academic session unless: (1) the occupancy level of the room changes or (2) the resident changes to another room and the rate for the new room is different when a refund or additional payment may be required.  Room rates will be prorated on a daily basis for students acquiring campus housing more than two weeks after the first day of occupancy.  Room rates are not based on the presence of air-conditioning.

Refund/Forfeiture Policies
If the resident withdraws from the university during the course of the semester, refunds of the room rent will be prorated based on the date the resident officially checks out of the room with the required paperwork completed by a Residence Life staff member.  Residents who are required to withdraw by the university because of a failure to meet obligations under the Housing Contract or who for other reasons are removed from the residences, or who, while remaining enrolled at the university, move out of the residence halls are financially obligated for the remainder of the contract.

Room Changes
Residents may not move from one room to another without prior written approval from Residence Life. Violation of this requirement will result in a $25 charge (the resident will be required to move back into the original assignment) and is a violation of this Contract which may result in a referral to Student Conduct.  (See Discrimination Clause)
Room Change Dates  The room change process begins one week after the first day of classes in the fall and continues through the spring semester.  
General Room Changes   Students interested in changing rooms should go to Residence Life (212 Campus Center) once the room change period begins to complete the Room Change Request Form.  Changes are typically approved on a first come, first served basis, but may be made based on the individual circumstances involved.  Once a change has been granted students should complete their move within 48 hours.  Exceptions to the 48-hour provision may be authorized for good cause by the Associate Director for Administration.
Direct Room Switches  A direct switch is when two residents of the same residence hall area exchange room assignments.  Area Directors and the Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing may approve direct changes during the academic year.  Room changes into vacant spaces or into another residence hall area must follow the general room change guidelines. Direct room changes (person for person) over the summer will be honored during the month of June provided all students involved provide written or e-mail (from the student’s William & Mary account) agreement to Residence Life between June 1 and June 30 and there are no vacancies involved.  Direct room changes involving living learning communities will require approval from the academic department that administers the house.  Otherwise, requests for room changes will not be accepted until one week after the first day of classes at the beginning of the fall semester.
End of Fall Semester Room Changes   At the end of the fall semester, there are a substantial number of room changes.  Individuals who change rooms must officially vacate and check-out of their former assignment before the halls close for the semester break.  Residents will be provided with instructions at the time they sign the room change approval paperwork.

Back to top

Room Reservation Deposit
The $200 Room Reservation Deposit will be credited toward the fall room rent charge due the university.  Failure to pay the deposit by the stated deadline will make the student ineligible to participate in the official spring Room Selection Process.  Please note that payment of the deposit is the responsibility of the student.  Bills and reminders concerning the Room Reservation Deposit are not sent to parents/guardians.
Currently Enrolled Students  To request a room in a university residence for the following academic year, a currently enrolled student or a student readmitted by the Dean of Students before the deposit deadline must pay a $200 deposit by the advertised deadline date and must sign or electronically accept the Housing Contract with the university prior to selecting or being offered a space in housing.  This $200 Room Reservation Deposit serves as the student's indication that he/she wishes to reside in university housing. It is non-refundable except in the event the resident transfers (must submit copy to Residence Life of acceptance letter), gets married (a copy of the current marriage certificate is required for verification), is academically dropped, is selected to participate in an approved Semester Study Away program, is unable to enroll due to illness, or is temporarily wait-listed from the Room Selection Process.  A person who is wait-listed from the Room Selection Process can take one prospective roommate with him/her to move off campus as long as they request a refund together and apply by the stated deadline. 
Residence Life must be notified by July 1 (the date deposits are released to Student Accounts) that a resident has transferred, married or will be participating in an approved study away program.  This notification is necessary to cancel the Housing Contract and refund the $200 deposit.  If notification is not received by July 1 the $200 deposit shall be forfeited and other charges may apply.

Transfer/Returning/New Students  Prior to receiving an offer for campus housing students must electronically accept the Housing Contract indicating they have read and agree to the terms and conditions of housing. 

Room Responsibility
Residents are responsible for the security of their room/apartment/Lodge.  Residents are encouraged to keep their room doors locked when they are away from the room or sleeping and are discouraged from leaving guests unattended in their room/apartment/Lodge.  Residents will be presumed to be responsible for any violations that occur in their assigned residence space.

Back to top

Safety and Security
General Safety
(1) The university cannot guarantee the safety and security of the premises. Residents are responsible for their personal security and that of their belongings within university facilities.
(2) Because of the risk of injury and property damage, residents are prohibited from planning and/or participating in events and activities that involve the use of water and water devices within or adjacent to campus residences, i.e swimming pools, water balloons, water guns, or slip-n-slides.
(3) Computerized ID access or other security systems are provided in the residence halls for the protection of the residents. While the university is in session the exterior doors to the residence halls will be controlled to restrict access to residents and guests.  Access to residences by non-residents may be restricted to earlier hours, if the Residence Hall Council decides or if the university determines that this is necessary for safety and security reasons.
(4) Residents may not engage in any activity that creates a safety risk or that jeopardizes the security of the premises, including but not limited to, the propping of exterior doors and the removal of window screens.
(5) For safety reasons, the roofs, porches, window ledges, unfinished attics and mechanical equipment rooms of all residential facilities are restricted areas and may not be accessed.
(6) Individuals observed in the residential facilities who are not residents or guests should be reported immediately to a Residence Life staff member or William & Mary Police. 

Electrical and Fire Safety
(1) Permanent electrical circuits cannot be altered by occupants or anyone not authorized by the university.
(2)  Appliances and any other electrical equipment with damaged, worn, spliced, cracked, or frayed cords and plugs must be replaced and may not be used in the residence halls.
(3)  All lighting fixtures must use only light bulbs of type and wattage as recommended by the manufacturer.  Lamp shades must also meet manufacturer specifications for the specific fixture.
(4) Please refer to the list of prohibited items listed earlier in the contract.
(5) Grounded re-locatable power taps or surge protectors with a “reset” switch will be the only allowable receptacle extensions from wall outlets.  Each power tap must be plugged directly into a wall receptacle and they must not be plugged into one another.  Non-fused extension cords and flexible cords are prohibited in residence hall rooms.
(6) No power cord, of any type, shall be extended through walls, ceilings or floors, or under doors or floor coverings, nor shall any cord be subject to environmental damage or physical impact.
(7) Combustible items may not be stored within 24” of the ceiling (18” for buildings with sprinkler systems).

Fire Safety
(1)  Open flames (from any source) and burning materials of any kind are absolutely prohibited in the residence halls.
(2) The integrity of all ceilings, floors and walls must remain intact and not be disturbed.  Ceiling tiles are not to be removed, disturbed or broken, nor should items be stored above a drop ceiling.  Light fixtures must have a proper globe or deflector in place.  Any open bulb fixture is a fire hazard and should be reported.
(3)  Additional permanent wall coverings (e.g. paneling, wallpaper, etc.) may not be installed by occupants.
(4) According to Virginia State Fire Code, candles and incense are prohibited in residence halls, even if such items are unlit or being used for decorative purpose only.  Decorative candles that do not have a wick are permissible.
(5) According to Virginia State Fire Code, no more than 10% of a residence hall room=s wall surface area may be covered by potentially flammable objects.  This includes but is not limited to posters, framed pictures, photos, flags, tapestries or any other decorative objects that are mounted on the wall.  Residents in residence hall rooms that approach or surpass this 10% level may be required to remove items as necessary to comply with state fire safety requirements.   In addition, wall hangings cannot contact electrical outlets or come closer than 12 inches to the heating unit.  All ceiling decorations are prohibited.
(6) Window decorations other than university furnished shades, drapes or blinds may be used but must carry a recognized fire rating and be constructed of fire retardant material.
(7) Living areas must be kept uncluttered and access to the doors clear.  Hallways and stairways must remain clear and unobstructed.
(8) At no time may the maximum capacity restrictions of a room, apartment, or lodge be exceeded.  (See Capacity Numbers in the Policies section)
(9) Fireplaces: working fireplaces in the following locations may be used under conditions as noted: DuPont, Graduate Complex lounge, sorority houses (with the exception of the 2nd floor fireplace in Kappa Kappa Gamma-House 1), Lodges, Taliaferro and Tazewell.
     (a) Residents must be trained in proper fireplace safety procedures by a Campus Fire Safety Officer.  Once trained, residents may be issued fireplace equipment.
     (b) There should always be a fire extinguisher present in the vicinity when there is an attended fire in the fireplace.
     (c) The use of chemical fire starters is prohibited.   
     (d) Residents wishing to use a fire pit must obtain a “Burn Permit” from a Campus Fire Safety Officer prior to each activity using a fire pit.
(10) When cooking, residents must remain present at all times to monitor the cooking process and ensure that nothing is burning or that excessive smoke does not set off the fire alarm.

Back to top

Complying with the requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia and according to William & Mary's smoking policy, all residence halls, apartments, and houses are smoke-free.  Residents, guests and employees must refrain from smoking at any time they are physically present in the building, including private residence rooms and within a 25-foot radius surrounding all university owned and operated facilities. This includes the use of e-cigarettes.

Academic Year Storage   Residence Life will not store university furnishings outside the resident’s room. Personal belongings in stackable containers may be stored in approved storage areas of selected residences during the academic year at the sole risk of the owner/user.  Personal property left in hallways, stairwells and lounges will be considered abandoned property and will be discarded.  The university is not responsible for any damage, deterioration or loss and makes no representation, express or implied, as to the fitness of the premises. All personal belongings must be removed from these storage areas at the end of the regular academic school year.  It is agreed that personal belongings not removed from student rooms or storage areas may be discarded or auctioned by the university at the end of the regular academic year.

Summer Storage   Summer storage is very limited and restricted to the area designated by Residence Life.  All stored items must be in stackable containers labeled with name, residence hall address and date of pickup.  Refrigerators, bicycles and lofts may be stored but loft frames must be disassembled, securely bundled and labeled.  Personal property left in hallways, stairwells and lounges will be considered abandoned property and will be discarded.  Access to items stored over the summer may not be gained until the official opening of the residences in the fall semester.  No carpets, rugs, mattresses, sofas or chairs (or any other furniture items) may be stored. Absolutely no combustible, flammable or explosive items are permitted in storage areas.  The university will discard or auction items not removed from these areas by the publicized date in the fall semester and the owners may be charged for the removal of such items.

Students may not transfer this Contract or sublet the assigned room to another party.

Residence Life reserves the right to fill all vacancies. If a space becomes available in a room because a roommate has not been assigned or a roommate moves out, Residence Life reserves the right to fill the vacancy. If spaces are not needed after October 1 (fall) or March 1 (spring), the resident may request to continue to live in the room at an increased rate for the balance of the semester and be assured the university will not assign someone to that space.

A “double as single” rate shall be charged equal to the cost of the current rate plus the prorated amount of one‑half the cost of the remaining half of the room. 

Residents who engage in conduct designed or intended to dissuade or intimidate other students from moving into a room or who otherwise attempt to manipulate the housing assignment process may be subject to referral to Student Conduct.  This includes not responding to phone calls, e-mail or other attempts to make contact.

Vacation Periods
The residences, with the exception of Graduate Apartments and Tribe Square, are not open for occupancy during the Semester Break.  Students are encouraged to plan ahead and make alternate arrangements during the Semester Break.  Residence halls remain open during the Thanksgiving break and fall and spring breaks.

Additional Provisions
If the premises become uninhabitable because of fire, strike, earthquake, accident, flood, riot, emergency, act of God or any reason beyond the control of the university, William & Mary is no longer obligated to provide housing and the student will not be required to pay rent for the time remaining on this Contract.  Residence Life will attempt to identify and provide alternate housing for each student affected. A refund of the room rent will be made (according to the schedule printed in the current edition of the William & Mary Catalog) if the student chooses not to accept alternate housing offered by the university or if the university is unable to offer alternate housing.  If any of the conditions described above result in damage or loss to personal property, loss of other items of value, or if there is any other resulting expense, the university will not be responsible.

Nothing in this document proscribes or limits the authority and power of the Board of Visitors of William & Mary to establish policy, rules and regulations that shall be applicable upon their effective date and operate prospectively unless otherwise stated.

Further, the university reserves the right to make reasonable modifications to this Contract to ensure personal safety or protection of property, provided reasonable advance notice is given.

Back to Top



Air Conditioning
Room rates are not based on the presence of air-conditioning.  To help maintain low utility costs, all central air-conditioning in the residences will be turned off on or about October 15 of each year, The following guidelines will be used to determine the exact date of shut-down:  three consecutive days of daily temperatures no higher than 68 degrees and/or nighttime temperatures no higher than 50 degrees and a downward or stable trend forecast for seven days.  All central air conditioning will be turned off by November 1st regardless of weather.  Air conditioning will be turned on in the spring on or about April 15. The following guidelines will be used to determine the exact date of start-up:  three consecutive days of daily high temperatures higher than 70 degrees and/or nighttime temperatures no lower than 60 degrees.  All air conditioning will be turned on no later than April 20 regardless of weather. The following buildings have central air: Barrett, Bryan Complex (Bryan, Camm, Dawson, Madison, Stith), Chandler, DuPont, Graduate Complex, Jamestown North, Jamestown South, Jefferson, Lodges, Ludwell Apartments, Fraternity Houses, Old Dominion, One Tribe Place, Randolph Complex (Cabell, Giles, Harrison, Page, Pleasants, Preston, Nicholas, Tazewell), Reves, Tribe Square and Yates.  The Botetourt Complex (Spotswood, Fauquier, Nicholson, Gooch and Dinwiddie), Green & Gold Village (Griffin, Lion, and Eagle), and Taliaferro have air-conditioned lobbies on the first floor. The remaining residence halls are not centrally air-conditioned.

Window Air Conditioners
(1) Room air conditioners are not permitted unless a medical exemption is provided by the Student Health Center to Residence Life prior to installation.  Students should ask their physician to provide the Student Health Center with medical documentation of need for air conditioning, which must include the medications a student is currently taking.
(2) Students must provide their own air conditioning unit, which must either be installed or inspected by staff from Facilities Management.  Requests to schedule installation/removal of air conditioning units must be submitted in writing.
(3) Only one air conditioner is allowed per student room.  Room units must be wired for 110-120 volts and should not exceed 6,000 BTUs.
(4) Failure to remove unapproved units may result in a referral to Student Conduct.
(5) Air conditioners are not permitted in the first floor of student rooms in Sorority Houses due to the presence of security screens.
(6) Window size restrictions:  Approximate heights of windows in Botetourt Complex are 17 inches, Randolph Complex window height is 20 inches and Green & Gold Village windows are non-standard sizes (
(7) Window units are not permitted in One Tribe Place and Tribe Square.

Back to top

To preserve the health and safety of the residents, only fish in bowls or aquariums (no larger than 20 gallons) and service animals/pre-approved assistance animals are permissible in student rooms or student apartments.  In addition, since William & Mary presumes that non-human life has its own intrinsic value it calls on its students to refrain from activities that might prove needlessly harmful or wantonly cruel to animals.

The university’s residence halls are of varying design and construction type.  The university reserves the right to impose reasonable requirements with respect to the type and use of appliances, equipment and other items students bring into the residence halls.  Residents are strongly urged to use appliances that are Energy Star compliant.  (Refer to the Housing Contract Terms and Conditions: Prohibited Items for specific listing of items.) Refrigerators - Refrigerators no larger than 4.5 cubic feet and Energy Star rated are permitted in residence hall rooms.
Microwave Ovens - Microwave ovens (without convection oven options) are permitted in residence hall rooms.
Other Approved Appliances - Hot air popcorn poppers and thermostatically controlled (switches the power off if the appliance overheats) coffee makers are permitted.
Appliances in Apartments - Apartments are furnished with refrigerators and stove/oven units.  Apartment units with kitchens may be furnished with other kitchen appliances.

All students are required to register their bicycles with William & Mary Police.  Bicycle registration is free, takes only a few minutes, and can be done 24 hours a day at the William & Mary Police station. Bicycles must be parked in bicycle racks and should always be locked, even when left for a short period, to reduce the potential for theft.  Bicycles found locked to stairways, handicap ramps, in common areas or in violation of fire code are subject to being ticketed and immediately impounded at the owner’s expense.  Bicycles may not be kept in buildings when school is in session; however, students may store their bicycles in their residence hall rooms during breaks in the school year.

Capacity Numbers
Based on fire safety; maximum room, apartment, and Lodge capacities are as follows and should never be exceeded.
                Single rooms                           9
                Double rooms                         10
                Triple rooms                            11
                Quad rooms                            12
                Cabell apartments                    20
                Grad double apartments         15
                Grad triple apartments             20*
                Grad quad apartments             15
                Lodges                                     28
                Ludwell apartments                  20
                Nicholas apartments                30
                Tribe Square                            20
                * Grad triple apartments have a different capacity level due to apartment square footage.

Back to top

Decorations Policy
Residents are permitted to decorate rooms, hallways and common areas as long as they adhere to the following policies:
(1) Smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire alarms and light fixtures must remain uncovered.  Residents must not drape or attach decorations to these items.
(2) Decorations must not obstruct hallways, fire exits, exit signs and access to fire safety equipment.
(3) Free-standing or table top decorations are permitted.   When hanging items in common areas or on the exteriors of fraternity or sorority houses, the use of tape, tacks, nails or staples to attach decorations to walls, ceilings and doors (including room doors) is not permitted.  Decorations may be applied to bulletin boards as long as they comply with the other policies listed here.
(4) All light bulbs and light strings generate enough heat to ignite paper and cloth.  Residents must ensure that light bulbs and light strings do not come into contact with anything flammable.
(5) All lighting to decorate trees or rooms must be UL approved.  String lights or light ropes can be used to decorate student rooms.   Decorative lights must either be plugged directly into an outlet or into a surge protector.    Residents may run decorative light strings in series up to three strings per outlet.  The use of string lights in common areas is prohibited unless they are being used on a tree or they are battery powered. No crimping of cords may occur, so don’t run cords under doorways or windows.
(6) For everyone’s safety, lights must be turned off when the area is unattended.
(7) Use of live garland, greenery, wreaths, leaves, twigs, bamboo, branches, hay or sand as decoration is prohibited.  Floors must not be covered with any material other than carpet or rugs.
(8) Artificial trees may be used in residence hall rooms, lounges, lobbies or living room areas; however, live, cut trees are prohibited by state fire code.
(9) All decorations must be removed after the specific function or, in the case of holidays, prior to residence halls closing for semester break.  Decorations left during the semester break in common areas will be removed and discarded and the hall/group responsible for the decorations may be billed.

Discrimination Clause
Room, roommate, and room change assignments are made without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status and all other categories ensured by the Commonwealth and by federal law.

Bathroom Locks
– Based on Virginia Code 1008.1.9, Except as specifically permitted by this section egress doors shall be readily openable from the egress side without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.  Students are prohibited from installing any type of device to lock a bathroom door from the room.

Lockouts - Students locked out of their room should contact a Residence Life staff member for admittance to the room or follow other instructions as provided.  Students must provide proof of residency (student I.D. number).  Students will only be admitted to their assigned rooms.  If a student’s room or apartment key is temporarily misplaced, a 7-day loan key is available at the Duty Office.  Replacements for lost or temporarily misplaced keys may also be obtained from the Residence Life office during normal weekday working hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or by calling 757-221-5625 on weekends.

Core Changes - If the residents of the room are present during the core change, they may sign for their new key(s) from the locksmith.  If residents are not present, a note will be left by the locksmith indicating that the new keys will be available in Residence Life until 5 p.m. the day of the change or after 7 p.m. the day of the change in their area duty office.

Non-Emergency Core Changes – Loaned keys not returned to the duty office or Residence Life office by the end of the 7-day loan period will result in a non-emergency core change.  The student account of the resident who checked out the loaned key will be billed the $40 per core for the change.  Non-emergency core changes are done on Wednesdays except during finals.

Emergency Core Changes – An emergency core change may be requested at the Residence Life office or in their duty office by the student if their original key is lost or stolen and changing the lock cannot wait until the next scheduled core change day.  The student account of the student requesting the emergency core change may be billed the $40 per core for the change.  

Back to top

Residents may construct lofts in their rooms.  The following rules and regulations will be adhered to concerning construction, use and disassembly of lofts in residence halls:
1.  A loft is defined as a free standing platform intended to provide a sleeping surface only.  Large structures that cover more than two-thirds of the room or are intended to add a second level to a room are not allowed.   
2.  Before constructing a loft, a resident must read and sign a "Waiver of Liability" available in area Duty Offices.
3. While the loft is being constructed or dismantled, hallways, doors or window areas must not be blocked with lumber, furniture, fixtures, etc.  Doors and windows must never be obstructed.
4.  Construction Guidelines:
     (A) Lofts must be free-standing.  Bolts, nails, chains, etc. cannot be sunken, attached or adhered in any way to the walls, floors and/or ceilings to support the loft.
     (B) Desks, dressers, wardrobes, etc. must not be used to support the loft.
     (C) Lofts must not be larger than 90" x 48".  Lofts must also be constructed in such a way as to allow 36" clearance between the top of the mattress and an 8' or 9' ceiling.  In rooms with ceilings over 9', bunk beds or lofts may not exceed 7' in height.
     (D) In a room with more than one loft, no more than two lofts may be attached to each other to increase   structural integrity.  Lofts may NOT be attached for the purpose of adding a second room level.
     (E) Lofts must be located and constructed in such a way that they do not interfere with  access to windows, air conditioning, heating or plumbing units, smoke detectors or other  items requiring periodic  maintenance and do not interfere with or obstruct  egress from the room in case of  emergency.
     (F) Attached room fixtures (ceiling tiles, lights, electrical outlets or switches, air conditioning/heating covers, smoke detectors, shades, etc.) must not be removed or relocated as a result of loft construction, use or disassembly.
     (G) A ladder or slatted bed ends must be attached to the loft and should be used for mounting and dismounting the loft.
5.  Residents of the room assume responsibility for any damages resulting from any cutting, sawing, painting or staining done in the residence halls.
6.  University beds, mattresses, desks, dressers, chairs, wardrobes etc. must not be removed from the room.
7.   Lofts must be completely dismantled and removed from the room when the occupants vacate the room, either by changing rooms during the year or upon final check-out at the end of the fall or spring semester.  At that time, the room should conform to the original room condition with all furniture assembled as it was upon check-in. Failure to dismantle and remove all materials or re-assemble university furnishings will result in assessment of labor and replacement costs to residents of the room.
8.  In the case of a mid semester or midyear check-out or room change, lofts belonging to the departing resident of a room may be left standing only if the new occupant of the room agrees to accept the loft and provides the Area Director  or Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Housing with a signed "Waiver of Liability" form.
9. Lofts are subject to periodic inspection by the staff from Facilities Management for compliance with the aforementioned guidelines.  Residents whose lofts do not meet these guidelines will be required to modify or replace their loft.
10.  Rented and pre-assembled bed lofts must meet all requirements listed above.

Back to top

Painting Rooms
Student rooms are painted in an off-white color on a rotating schedule.  Students may not paint their rooms in any other color, or add murals or border designs to their room walls or ceilings.  Students who wish to touch up their walls may pick up the approved off-white, semi-gloss latex paint from Residence Life (212 Campus Center).  Brushes, rollers, drop cloths, etc. will be provided by the resident.

Quiet Hours
Under the policy of Self-Determination, quiet hours are determined by each community and approved by the Residence Hall Council.

Principles of Self-Determination
The university’s dedication to liberal education is reflected in its policy of residence life known as Self‑Determination.  Each residential area is viewed as a living‑learning center with the goal of enriching each resident’s educational experience.  Through Self‑Determination, the residents of each area, under the guidance of the Residence Life staff, develop guidelines and procedures of governance for living that allows for both individual freedom and the privacy and personal rights of community members.

Student Involvement in Self-Determination
Students in residence halls exercise the responsibility of self‑governance through the Apartment/Hall Councils.  The residents develop rules and guidelines through their community agreements which pertain to the maintenance of a clean and orderly environment in the residence hall, the maintenance of reasonable quiet, the regulation of conduct that infringes on the rights of other residents or which restricts the use of common areas, the assurance of a reasonable level of safety and security and the regulation of visitation of guests.

The policies and procedures adopted by the Apartment/Hall Councils shall be compatible with the university policy, public laws and the academic objectives of a residential and educational community.  The individual's right of privacy and freedom of personal choice and movement; and the educational goals of the university must always be ensured by the guidelines.

Resident's Rights and Responsibilities
(1) Each resident shall have freedom of movement in or out of his/her residence hall at all times.
(2) Each visitor to a residence hall must be a welcomed guest of a resident of that hall.
(3) Residents are responsible for the behavior of any guest(s) visiting.
(4) Residents must have the consent of the roommate(s)/apartment mates in order to have a guest(s).
(5) Each student has the right to counsel with a member of the Student Affairs staff concerning problems arising from Self‑Determination.  The staff of the Vice President for Student Affairs has the right to intervene to ensure that the rights of all students are respected.

a. Composition and Organization of Councils
After the first week of classes, but no later than the end of the third week of the academic session, each residence hall or complex shall elect an Apartment Hall Council that consists of at least one representative from each floor or section of the hall or complex.

The offices of the Apartment/Hall Council shall be determined by the council and the officers' duties designated by the same.  A combination of the following offices is suggested as a means of developing an effective Apartment/Hall Council:  President, or Chair; Vice President; Secretary; Events and Activities Chairperson; 2 representatives to campus wide RHA (Residence Hall Association) and Floor/Hall Representative.  The Head Resident, Hall Director or Complex Director for the residence shall serve as advisor to the Council. 

The constitution from the previous year will remain in effect until a new constitution is ratified.   After election of all members, each Apartment/Hall Council shall do the following:
(1) ratify old constitutions, rules and guidelines or develop a new constitution, rules or guidelines;
(2) determine how frequently meetings will be held;
(3) set meeting attendance policy;
(4) determine the specifications of how may members constitutes quorum;
(5) determine the voting percentage required to pass resolutions; and
(6) determine how to handle replacement of officers or representatives who resign.

Any member of the Apartment/Hall Council shall be subject to recall proceedings in accordance with the individual council constitution.

b. Community Development Function of the Council
The Residence Hall Council has the obligation and responsibility for organizing social and educational activities for the residence hall community according to the needs and interests of the residents.  The Council has the right to appoint the committees necessary to accomplish this function and has the right to establish dues, organize fund‑raising activities and receive contributions as a means of support for its events and activities.

c. Governance Function of the Council
(1)Exercising the principle of Self‑Determination, the Council has the responsibility to determine rules and guidelines governing common areas, both for residents and for outside groups to use residence hall space.  The Council also has the responsibility to outline clear consequences for failure to abide by established rules and regulations.  Until the elected Council is functioning at the beginning of the fall semester, rules and guidelines developed during the preceding academic year will be in effect.  Residence Life staff will be responsible for making these policies known.
     (a)No rule or guideline may be established which is inconsistent with or contrary to the rules, regulations and policies of the university. Rules may be established that are more stringent than the general provisions of the university.  In addition, the Council may permit the residents of a floor or section of a residence to elect hours of access, visitation or to establish other regulations more restrictive than those employed by the remainder of the residence hall.
     (b)All rules and guidelines established by the Council must be approved according to the provisions stated in the respective constitutions.
     (c)Any rule or guideline shall be subject to a referendum according to the provisions stated in the respective constitutions.
     (d)All rules and guidelines established by the Council will be reviewed by the Residence Life staff.  Copies of all rules and guidelines shall be posted in the residence hall and also be on file in Residence Life.
(2) Within the first week of the fall semester, the Resident Assistant/Graduate Resident Assistants shall assist each living area (floor, wing, house, etc.) within the residential community in the development of a Community Agreement outlining guidelines for community living and consequences for failure to follow established guidelines.  Community Agreements should cover topics such as quiet hours, visitation regulations, use of lounges, kitchen and hallway space, and mutual expectations of residents.  All residents of a floor/living unit area are expected to participate in the development of the Community Agreement and sign the completed agreement.  A copy of each Community Agreement shall be posted in the living area, and an electronic copy kept on file in Residence Life.
     (a)The Community Agreement may be amended at any time.  Any resident of a living area may call a meeting to discuss modification of the Community Agreement.
     (b)In the event that conditions outlined in Community Agreements within a residence appear to be in conflict, the Council shall serve as mediator.  Representatives of the areas in conflict shall bring their grievances to the Hall Council for resolution by the voting members of the Council.
     (c) In the event that a resident fails to follow established guidelines of an individual area Community Agreement, the Council has the authority to levy charges against the responsible party.
(3)The Council has the responsibility to investigate damages to common property, furniture and fixtures, to determine culpability, to assess charges to the responsible parties, and to collect from residents or designate Council funds for repair or replacement of damaged property.  The Council has the authority to levy charges against users of area property, equipment or furnishings and for damage to or misuse of same.

d. Recommendations for Physical Improvements
The Council has the responsibility to represent the residents of the area in matters which pertain to needed and desired physical improvements in the residence.  The Council may designate funds for the purchase and/or refurbishing of furniture, recreational equipment and other items based on residents' needs and interests.  The Council has the authority to establish policies regulating the use of such furniture and equipment.

Back to Top


Special Housing Options

Adaptive Housing
Students who have need for special accommodations related to gender identity or expression may apply to the Center for Student Diversity at (757)221-2300.

 Africana House
Africana House promotes awareness of Africa and provides an informal setting where students are introduced to African history, cultures, and current events.  For more information contact Professor Iyabo Osiapem at

Colonial Williamsburg House
The university and Colonial Williamsburg have collaborated to offer a housing option for two rising seniors in the Historic Area each year.  The house currently leased is called the William Randolph Lodging and is located at 406 E. Nicholson Street – just one block over from Duke of Gloucester Street.

EcoHouse provides students with a living learning community that focuses on environmental responsibility.  For more information contact Professor Randy Chambers at

Fraternity/Sorority Housing
The university offers housing to a number of fraternities and sororities.   For more information about fraternity and sorority housing, contact the Fraternity and Sorority Life staff in the Office of Student Leadership Development or .

Graduate Housing
The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Graduate Complex, conveniently located next to the Law School, features single occupancy housing in two, three and four bedroom apartments that are specifically designed and constructed for graduate students.  Each occupant of the apartment has his/her own bedroom and shares the common areas, which include a kitchen, living room and bathroom.

Language Houses
Language Houses provide opportunities for residents to speak foreign languages and to learn about other cultures.  The Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, Japanese, and Russian Houses each admit approximately 20 students.  Each House is staffed by a native-speaking Resident Tutor who functions as a resource for students to enhance both the proficiency in the host language, as well as their knowledge of culture.  For more information about applying to a Language House, contact the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at (757) 221-3634.

Medical/Special Needs
Individuals needing special housing accommodations due to a medical need should contact the Assistant Dean of Students & Director of Disability Services at (757) 221-2509. 

Monroe Scholars
Freshman students who have been selected as Monroe Scholars may elect to live in designated Monroe Scholar housing.

Mosaic House
Mosaic House provides students with a living center that encourages and supports serious dialogue about cultural and social difference.  For more information contact Tom Linneman at

Reves Hall
Reves Hall houses students based on their travel and interest in international studies.  For more information about applying to Reves Hall, contact the Reves Center for International Studies at (757) 221-3590.

Sharpe Community Partnership Program
The Sharpe Community Partnership Program is a freshman residential initiative that extends William & Mary=s long‑held tradition of public and community service. Nurturing both responsible citizenship and energetic involvement in the community is part of the university=s mission.  In the spirit of our mission and traditions, students who participate will live in the Sharpe program residence, enroll in program‑sponsored seminars, take part in public forums and work together on community projects B all as a way of encouraging freshmen to explore issues in our national life and become directly involved in these issues through public service. For more information about applying to the Sharpe Program, contact the Charles Center at (757) 221-2495.

Alcohol is not permitted in individual rooms in freshman residence halls unless one of the residents is at least 21 years of age and the alcohol belongs to that resident.  Further, alcohol is not permitted in the common areas of freshman residences nor may functions with alcohol be scheduled in freshman residence halls.  Additionally, the university offers a section on the first floor in Landrum Hall as a substance-free floor for upper-class students.

Residents who live on a substance-free hall, and their guests, agree to refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages at any time they are physically present on the floor, including in private residence rooms.  If a resident or his/her guest violates this provision, the resident will receive one written warning issued by the Area Director.  A second violation will result in the resident being reassigned to another space on campus as determined by Residence Life. Any such reassignment does not release the resident from the Housing Contract.

Back to top


Other Information

Since few of the residence hall rooms are carpeted, students may consider bringing a room size carpet from home.  Carpet remnants are also available at local stores.  Currently One Tribe Place and Graduate Complex bedrooms are the only locations with carpeting in student rooms.

Community Agreements
Under the guidelines of Self-Determination, residents of individual floors and buildings establish policies and enforcement procedures for the smooth operation of the residence halls. Some policies addressed include quiet hours, visitation, lounge and kitchen use.  The Agreements are established at the beginning of the year and remain as Aliving@ documents until the halls close.  (See Self-Determination Policy.)

ID Cards
ID cards are prepared for each entering student by Tribe Card Services (169 Campus Center, (757) 221-2105).  Student ID cards provide access to the residence halls equipped with ID card readers. Academic and administrative building access is maintained by Tribe Card Services.  In addition, the student ID card provides access to meals, vending machines, Swem Library, Campus Recreation Center, Student Health Center, and the W&M Express Account.  Lost or stolen IDs must be reported immediately to Tribe Card Services during normal business hours or to the William & Mary Police (757) 221-4596 after 5 p.m. or on the weekends.

Information Technology
-   Students living in William & Mary residence halls who wish to have landline phone service in their rooms will need to request the service, pay a small activation fee, and provide their own telephone.  All resident students will be able to make local calls from the landline phones available in the hallways or living rooms of on campus residences.
Cable TV - Cable television access is available in all university residence halls.
Internet Access - Each residence room has a high speed data network that allows students to access university resources, the library's on-line card catalog, e-mail, and the Internet.  Wireless connections are available in the residence halls.
Long Distance Authorization - Long distance calling is available through the use of an authorization code which may be obtained from the Information Technology Office (1-HELP). 
Voice Mail - A voice mailbox and instructions for use are provided by Information Technology to each resident who has requested phone service at the IT home page (

Most buildings are equipped with kitchens.  Residents are free to use the kitchen facilities but must clean up after themselves.  Specific policies regarding kitchen use/cleanliness can be addressed in Community Agreements.


Most of the residences are equipped with coin operated and/or WM Express Card access washers and dryers. The laundry facilities are under the auspices of Residence Life and are currently contracted to an outside vendor. Any problems with machine malfunction can be reported by phone (1-800-927-9274), e-mail or on the web The College is not liable for any damage or loss caused by the washers or dryers. Please note that we currently use high efficiency (HE) front loading washers in the residence halls. Manufacturer's guidelines recommend HE liquid detergent instead of powdered detergent. Detergent ‘cakes', 3-in-1 sheets, and non HE products should not be used in these machines.  Liquid HE pods/pacs can be used by placing them in the drum, not the soap drawer.  

Questions or information regarding meal plans should be directed to Dining Services at (757) 221-7856 or

Postal Service/Mail
All undergraduate residents are provided, at no extra charge, a mailbox (CSU) in the campus post office.  Postal Services has a Student Services window for delivery of USPS/FedEx/DHL/UPS and other express mail parcels to provide students with a contact point for any questions.  The window hours are 7:15 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.  Mail is deposited in student boxes Monday through Friday by 3:00 p.m.  Visit the Postal Services web page for more information.

Recycling receptacles are available in each residence hall room.  Residents are responsible for voluntarily removing their recyclable materials to one of the dumpsters labeled for recycling only.

The Williamsburg Area Transport (WAT) provides bus services for William & Mary and the surrounding area.  The campus bus system is designated the Green Line, with a bus dedicated to providing daily transportation throughout the campus for students, faculty and staff in a circuit loop every 30 minutes.   Riding any of the bus lines serviced by WAT is free of charge with your William & Mary ID.  For more information, contact Transportation Services at (757) 259-4093 or visit their web page.
(1)  Motorcycles and other motorized vehicles are not permitted in the residence halls.
(2)  Eligibility for parking decals is determined by Parking Services, visit their web site for more information.
(3)  Parking off campus is by City of Williamsburg permit only.
(4)  Medically necessary exceptions to the parking policy are handled by the Dean of Students (109 Campus Center, (757) 221-2510).
(5)  For more information concerning parking contact Parking Services at (757) 221-4764 or

Vending Machines
Vending machines are located in all residence hall areas. The vending machines will accept both coins and the W&M Express account (ID card).  For questions about refunds, contact Tribe Card Services at (757) 221-2105.

 Return to Top