Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Room Change Request

Welcome to the academic year room change process!

When two people begin to room together, they often need some time to adjust to their differing expectations about living together. Roommates are encouraged to complete a Shared Living Expectations worksheet and spend some time negotiating room expectations. If a resident determines that his/her living situation is not working, written consent from Residence Life must be granted prior to anyone moving.

Residents must complete a Room Change Request to be considered for any space. Requests will be considered as spaces become available and prioritized based on the date submitted, accommodation requirement, etc.

All requests received during end of spring semester and prior to August 15 that are not completed will have to be renewed by the student by August 23 if you would like to continue to pursue a room change.

Room changes are generally processed on a first come first serve basis and as space and availability allows.You will have 48 hours to accept a room change offer once an offer has been made. After 48 hours the offer will be voided

You will be able to request a room change at any point during the semester. 

Room Change Requests Actions Include:
  • Room Change: A room change request is for students wanting to move rooms and/or buildings. Students will receive only one room offer at a time based on space and availability. Be aware that some room changes may result in a prorated room rate adjustment.
  • Person for Person Switch: Person for Person room change request is for residents who are interested in trading spaces with another current resident. A Person for Person switch cannot involve a room with a vacancy. Be aware that some room changes may result in a prorated room rate adjustment.
  • Vacancy in a Room: If you have vacancy in your room and have identified a student to fill that space you can request them by creating a roommate group to request the new roommate. If you are filling a vacancy in a room you will request a room change.
Ready to submit a room change request?
Sign into the Housing Portal to submit your request.