Welcome to Richmond Hall!
- Co-ed Housing
- Kitchen located in first floor lobby
- Laundry on first and second floor
- Two floors
- Full size beds
- Private bathrooms
- Wireless internet and cable
- Individual room controlled heating and air conditioning
- Located 902 Richmond Road
*Note - these floor plans are not drawn to scale. Floor plans are provided to demonstrate differences between room types. Individual rooms vary. All dimensions and square footage are approximate and should not be relied upon as representation, express or implied, of your actual assigned room.
FAQs about Richmond Hall
What types of rooms are available?
There are single rooms, double rooms and 1 triple. Room rates are based on the standard campus rate for single, double, and triple rooms. Room rendering below.
What is the distance from Richmond Hall to campus?
Richmond Hall is the closest hall to the School of Education. Richmond Hall is located .8 miles from Swem Library and .6 miles from the Dining Commons. In comparison, Ludwell Apartments are .6 miles to Swem and .8 miles to the Commons, Brown Hall is .8 miles to the Commons and .6 miles to Swem and Hunt Hall is .7 miles to Swem and .9 miles to the Commons.
Who can use the parking lot?
Juniors and seniors who reside in Richmond Hall will have the ability to purchase general residential parking decals from the university. According to Parking Services policies, sophomores will not be permitted to purchase parking decals. Those students with decals will have access to the controlled/fenced parking spaces using their university-issued ID card. Parking spaces along the front of the building outside the fenced area will have signage indicating parking by permit only and reserved for staff and service vehicles. All parking will be monitored by Parking Services and cars without the proper decal will be ticketed.
What changes were made to the facility?
- All electrical wiring has been replaced with a modern capacity and outlets commensurate with current code requirements.
- A new fire sprinkler system and alarm system.
- The roof has been replaced.
- Security fencing around the property was installed including gates for parking that can be opened only with a valid William & Mary ID.
- The parking lot is repaved and re-striped.
- In addition to the fencing, an ID reader has been installed at the front door to the main entrance building to secure the property.
- A laundry room will be added similar to the other laundry facilities across campus.
- Exterior lighting will be upgraded.
- The swimming pool has been removed.
- All wallpaper has been removed and the rooms are freshly painted.
- The main lounge on the first floor has been reconfigured for resident use to include kitchen facilities.
- New exterior stairwells and planters have been installed and the old awnings have been removed.
What furniture will be in the rooms? What kind of lighting will be in the rooms? Will the furniture be similar to furniture in the other residence halls on campus?
- All of the furniture in the rooms is brand new including a full size bed and mattress (53" x 80"), desk, desk chair, dresser, and wardrobe per resident.
- Mini-blinds installed.
- The carpeting will remain and will be professionally cleaned regularly.
- Lamps are provided. There is no overhead lighting in the rooms.
Will the rooms will have their own bathrooms?
Yes, every room has a private bathroom with a tub/shower, sink and toilet.
Is this property considered on-campus or off-campus? What about security of the property and rooms?
Richmond Hall is university housing but is not located on main campus; residents have full access to all campus safety resources.
Students will be issued a key for their room. W&M ID access systems are present on the main exterior door to the facility as well as to the gates to the parking lots at the front of the building. This will secure the entire facility and parking lot.
All residents have access to all campus safety resources including an on-site campus “Blue Light” kiosk, a designated William & Mary Police Community Resource Officer and designated patrols by WMPD. All students also have access to two campus safety apps and the Campus Escort Service.
An emergency "Blue Light" phone is being installed on the property with direct connection to the William & Mary Police Department. The William & Mary Communications Center is staffed 24/7, and will immediately know the location for the emergency when the phone is activated.
A comprehensive surveillance camera system is in place to assist with security around the exterior of Richmond Hall. This includes the open area in the front of the main entrance building, the secured pedestrian entry area, all parking lot locations, both vehicular gates, and common areas in the back of the property. The use of cameras in the area will be posted. This system will record all activity and will be used by William & Mary Police.
Will there be Residence Life staff?
The hall will be staffed with RAs who rotate duty just like other residence halls. The Duty Office is located near the front entrance.
Are the rooms air-conditioned?
Yes, each room has individual heating and cooling that is under control of the occupant. To maintain positive air pressure in the building, the windows in are inoperable. Window units will not be able to be installed.
What about Wi-Fi and cable?
Yes, Richmond Hall has the campus network providing the same services as any other campus residence hall.
Will the hall have its own Community Council?
Yes. The community will have its own Council elected by the residents if they so choose.
Is there a bus stop nearby?
Yes, the Green line and the Trolley, operated by the Williamsburg Area Transit Authority (WATA), will stop directly in front of the hall. The Green Line is scheduled to run from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm M-F and 10:00 am to 10:00 pm Sat & Sun. The Trolley runs a similar route but in the opposite direction from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm M-Th, 9:00 am - 11:00 pm F & S, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm on Sundays. Subject to change.
Will there be bike racks available?
Yes, bike racks for student use will be located within the fenced area.
Below is an example of a typical room. The average size of a double is approximately 13'6"x16' and singles are approximately 11'6"x16'. Triple rooms are larger. Floor/room plans will be provided as they become available to demonstrate differences between room types. Individual rooms vary. All dimensions and square footage are approximate and should not be relied upon as representation, express or implied, of your actual assigned room.