Fall 2021 Check-In Dates
The dates for Fall 2021 residence hall check-in are listed below. Residence hall students will be required to schedule a check-in appointment.
Check-in will take place as a contactless, drive through process to obtain keys and confirm arrival. Students will then drive to their assigned buildings to move in.
Please check your WM email account for your assigned timeslot.
- In order to maintain safety and maintain flow of traffic, no more than 100 residents will be allowed to move onto campus during any given hour. Students are limited to one car in the unloading zone at a time. No rental trucks or trailers permitted due to traffic flow.
- Residents will sign up through the Housing Portal under the Fall Move In Form. There are more appointments than students so if you miss your assigned timeslot, you can still log in and make an appointment.
- Your Timeslot is:00/00/00 00:00. Please know you will not be able to access the Fall Move In Form until your time slot time opens.
- Once you access the Fall Move In Form you will be able to select your move in option based on the move in schedule:
First Year & New Transfer Student Check-In by Appointment
- Thursday, August 26 from 1:00pm - 4:15pm
- Friday, August 27 from 8:00am - 4:15pm
Returning Upper Level Student Check-In by Appointment
- Saturday, August 28 and Sunday, August 29 from 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Monday, August 30 and Tuesday, August 31 from 8:30am - 4:30pm (in the Residence Life Office, 212 Campus Center) by request (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Continuing W&M students who studied remotely during the Fall 2020 and/or Spring 2021 semesters and want to participate in our New-to-Campus Welcome Days should tentatively plan to make their check-in appointment on either Saturday or Sunday of the Upper Level Student schedule.
The Graduate Complex Check-In by Appointment
- Opens for Graduate and Undergraduate residents beginning Monday, August 9 and check-in will continue thru Tuesday, August 31st - 8:30 a. m. - 4:00 p.m. on each available day.
- Community Directors – Tuesday, August 10 – 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Head Resident – Thursday, August 12 – 8:30am – 4:00pm
- Grad RAs, HAs - Monday, August 16 – 8:30am – 4:00p
- New RAs/Returning RAs/OADs – Thursday, August 19 - 8:30am – 3:00pm
- Returning RAs/OADs – Friday, August 20 - 8:30am – 3:00pm
You must have a pre-arranged and confirmed move in appointment before you travel to campus. If you do not have an appointment, then you will not be permitted to move into the residence hall. There will be no exceptions to this practice. You must have received a negative test result or have confirmed fully vaccination status on file. If you are in the process of vaccination or exempted you will need a negative rapid test on file in order to move in.
Moving to Campus
- As you pack for the upcoming fall semester, please be mindful of what you are bringing, how you are transporting it, and how difficult it may be to move your items quickly in the event of a campus closure. Our suggested packing lists include your basic living essentials with a few helpful suggestions!
- All residential students should following the prescribed Move-In Route for their residence hall assignment.
- All residential students will check-in via a limited-contact process and along their color-coded route.
- Every residence hall has a specified Unloading Zone, as well as a designated Parking Lot to ensure adequate flow around all of our residential buildings.
- Students are limited to one car in the unloading zone at a time.
- No rental trucks or trailers permitted due to traffic flow.
- You have a total of 2 hours from check-in to unload your vehicle after which you will need to move your vehicle to make room for those checking-in after you.
- Consistent with CDC guidelines, those who are not yet vaccinated should wear a mask indoors at William & Mary.
- All students and visitors to residence halls during all fall move-in days will be required to wear masks.
- Don’t forget to bring a reusable water bottle, there will be refill stations throughout campus! You can find refill stations through the mobile app!
Students will not be able to move into residence halls until they have received a negative test result or have confirmed fully vaccination status on file. If you are in the process of vaccination or exempted you will need a negative rapid test on file in order to move in.
Arriving On Campus:
- Once you have signed up for an appointment, your student ID will be activated for arrival that day.
- Your personalized hangtag, is in the Housing Portal under Fall 21 Move In form be sure to have it ready for check in as we will scan your QR code to check you in and have a photo ID ready to show. The QR code hangtag is located on the Move In Next Steps page in your Fall 21 Move In form.
- Residence Life staff will issue you a room/apartment key and other important materials during check-in. Upon arriving at your building's unloading zone, please unpack your vehicle and park your car within a designated lot before moving your belongings to your room.
- Every residence hall has a specified unloading zone, to ensure adequate flow around all of our residential buildings.
Move-In Inclement Weather Plan
If inclement weather occurs, we will pause the check-in process temporarily until the weather passes for the safety of our staff, residents, and families. Once the weather has cleared, we will continue the check-in process as normal. If we are only experiencing rain, we will continue check-in as normal.
Individuals who need to arrive early may find it beneficial to make arrangements with the Williamsburg Hotel/Motel Association for accommodations (1-800-999-4485) or visit their web site at www.gowilliamsburg.com. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate early arrivals.