Housing Contract Release Petition

The Housing Contract covers an entire academic year, fall and spring semesters or 11½ months for Tribe Square (summer, fall, spring). If you are required to live-on per the 2-year live-on requirement, you must request a waiver from the Housing Contract and it only applies to a student living at their parent/legal guardian’s permanent address within 30 miles of campus. Submit requests to living@wm.edu.

A student may only be released from their Housing Contract for the following reasons:

  1. The student gets married. A copy of the marriage certificate is required for verification.
  2. The student is accepted in a William & Mary approved Study Away program. Verification must be received from the Reves Center or the Registrar.
  3. The student is ending their enrollment at William & Mary which may include withdrawing from the university, being academically dismissed or transferring to another institution. Verification is required from the Dean of Students Office or the student's graduate program.
  4. The student is released by the Contract Release Committee due to extraordinary and unforeseeable circumstances..

A student making a request to be released from the Housing Contract is asking for an EXCEPTION. An approval of the petition is NOT automatic and is given only for extraordinary and unforeseeable circumstances. Signing a lease or purchasing a home off campus does not constitute an extraordinary circumstance.

Petitions with supporting documentation must be turned into Residence Life, Campus Center 212, or emailed to living@wm.edu within 48 hours of the Committee meeting.  Generally, petitions are reviewed on the first and third Wednesdays of the month during the academic year. The student will be contacted regarding the decision via e-mail to their W&M e-mail address.

It is the student’s responsibility to furnish the appropriate supporting documentation. Examples may include: financial statements, if claiming financial hardship due to a loss of income or financial aid; letter from a potential landlord showing proof of rent, etc.

Medical Needs
Students who are requesting a release based on a medical need that can be supported with documentation should submit the appropriate medical forms and petition to Student Accessibility Services.

Housing Contract Release Petition (PDF)