Housing Contract Release Petition

The Housing Contract covers an entire academic year, fall and spring semesters or 11½ months for Tribe Square (summer, fall and spring). A student will only be released from his/her Housing Contract for the following reasons:

  1. He/She gets married. A copy of the marriage certificate is required for verification.
  2. He/She is accepted in a William & Mary approved study away program. Verification must be received from the Reves Center or the Registrar.
  3. He/She is ending their enrollment at William & Mary wich may include withdrawing from the university, being academically dismissed or transferring to another institution. Verification is required from the Dean of Students office or the student's graduate program.
  4. He/She is released by the Contract Release Committee due to extraordinary and unforeseeable circumstances.

A student making a request to be released from the Housing Contract is asking for an EXCEPTION. An approval of the petition is NOT automatic and is generally only for extraordinary and unforeseeable circumstances. Signing a lease or purchasing a home off campus does not constitute an extraordinary circumstance.

Petitions with supporting documentation must be turned into Residence Life, Campus Center 212, or emailed to living@wm.edu within 48 hours of the Committee meeting.  Generally, petitions are reviewed on the first and third Wednesdays of the month during the academic year. The student will be contacted regarding the decision via e-mail to their W&M e-mail address.

It is the student’s responsibility to furnish the Contract Release Committee with appropriate supporting documentation. Examples may include: financial statements, if claiming financial hardship; letter from the Resident Assistant explaining the mediation process, if claiming roommate conflicts.

Medical Needs
Students who are requesting a release based on a medical need that can be supported with documentation should submit the appropriate medical forms and petition to Lesley Henderson in the Dean of Students Office, Campus Center 109.

Housing Contract Release Petition (PDF)