Moving Out: A Guide for Parents and Families

This guide has been developed to assist you and your student as they leave the residence halls. Although the majority of information will apply to checking out of the residence halls at the end of the academic year, two other sections are being included should your student depart either at the end of the fall semester or during a semester.

How can I prepare to move my student out of the residence halls?

The end of the semester is a busy time for students. Encouraging your student to prepare as much as possible before his/her move out day is advised. If your student will be visiting home before the end of the semester, they are encouraged to take home any unneeded belongings such as off-season clothing. Your student should pack any items he/she can before the day he/she is going to depart. Your student should also read and understand the check out procedures for their area.

When must my student vacate the residence halls?

The Residence Halls officially close for the Spring Semester at 10:00am on the Monday following Commencement. Students are expected to check out of their residence hall space no later than 48 hours after their final exam.

What if my student cannot check out of the residence halls 48 hours after their last exam?

Exceptions will be made for graduating residents or for non-graduating students who are participating in Commencement as an usher, choir member, etc., or in some other official commencement activity, an intercollegiate athletic team obligation, or an academic requirement (e.g. law write-on). If your student is involved in any of the above activities, they must be listed on a roster submitted to Residence Life by the administrator or faculty member coordinating the activity. These rosters must be received in Residence Life by the last day of classes, and it is your student’s responsibility to confirm that he/she is on their group's list.

  • If your student is a non-graduating resident NOT participating in an APPROVED activity, your student is expected to check out no later than 48 hours after completing their last regularly scheduled exam. If extenuating circumstances prevent them from meeting this deadline your student must submit a written request to their Area Director for approval to remain in their room. These written requests must be received by the Area Director by the last day of classes. If approved, your student will be charged $30.00 for each day that they stay in their room after the 48 hour period. Residents approved to stay late will be billed for any appropriate charges. Your student’s Area Director will approve or deny the request as quickly as possible. 
  • To insure a smooth check out, please be sure that your student follows the instructions listed in this document.
How does my student officially check out of his/her residence hall?

When your student is ready to check-out, they are required to return their key(s) in the envelope provided at your designated area/building location. Once everyone has checked out of their specific room, a Residence Life staff member will inspect the room/apartment to evaluate the condition of the room and whether or not to assign a charge based on any damage found. The Area Director/Assistant Director will make the final decision whether or not to charge for damages.

Can my student store his/her belongings on-campus over the summer?

There is no storage available on campus. There are local storage companies students may elect to store their belongings. Visit our storage page for information.

How can my student avoid damage charges?

There are several ways your student can work to avoid damage charges. Your student should discuss with their roommate(s) the Closing Agreement (Undergraduate/Graduate) located on the web site and decide who will take responsibility for which areas and tasks to be completed in order to return the room to its original condition - the completed from can either be turned into the Area Director or submitted by email via the William & Mary account of the individual taking responsibility for cleaning and damage to the room. Your student should assure that all College furniture, including the recycling bin, is present in the room/apartment and assembled. All non-College furniture such as lofts, carpets, chairs, bookshelves, refrigerators, etc should be removed. Your student should not leave these items in stairways, hallways, or lobby areas. All trash should be taken to the dumpster and the floors swept and they should wipe down all surfaces in kitchen and bathroom areas if applicable. All posters, tape, stickers and nails should be removed from furniture, walls, ceilings, closets and doors. All items should be removed from the room/apartment door bulletin board. Your student should re-hang/reattach drapes, shades, screens, etc. Room windows and door should be closed and locked. Your student should return their key(s) in the checkout envelope. 

Is my student responsible for damages which may occur in common areas?

It is understood that residents are responsible for any damage or loss caused or non-routine cleaning or trash removal required to the common areas of the residence halls and their furnishings, including vending machines and other equipment placed in the residence halls as a convenience to the residents. Common areas include corridors, recreation rooms, kitchens, study rooms, living rooms, laundry rooms, public baths and lounges. When damage occurs, the student(s) will be billed directly for the repairs. Individual Hall Councils have the authority (along with Residence Life Staff) to assess and assign charges for these damages. Common Area Charges that are assigned by the Community Councils will be collected directly by Community Council representatives prior to the end of the semester. Residents are expected to provide payment to the Community Council representative. If at the end of the year charges assigned by the Community Council have not been paid, Residence Life will bill the student directly with the addition of a $15 administrative charge. Damages may also result in University judicial action. Those students who are responsible for vandalism or theft may be removed from and/or denied future housing in University residence halls.

Is there a process by which my student may appeal a damage charge?

Charges must be appealed within thirty days of the date of the bill. Bills received during the summer must be appealed before the end of the first full week of classes.  In the event the resident wishes to contest charges for damages or loss, the following procedure is prescribed:

(1)  Contact in writing the Area Director for the building in which the alleged damage occurred.  For Community Council levied damage billing, appeals may be heard by the Community Council or the Council’s designates prior to the last day of classes in the spring semester.  After the last day of classes in the spring semester the Area Director will hear all appeals.

(2) Residents may appeal the decision of the Area Director by contacting the Director of Housing Operations in writing or through email.  The decision of the Director of Housing Operations is final. Appeals of Hall Council levied damages will be forwarded automatically to the Appeals Board.

(3) Appeals will be heard by the Appeals Board consisting of three representatives from the Residence Hall Association (RHA).  The decision of the Appeals Board is final.

(4) Charges must be appealed in writing within 30 days of the date of the bill. Bills received during the summer must be appealed in writing before the end of the first full week of classes in the fall semester.

If you have any additional questions please e-mail the Office of Residence Life

Damage Charges Frequently Asked Questions
My student is leaving the residence halls during the semester. How will my student’s bill be adjusted?

Residents who withdraw from the University during the course of the semester will be credited a refund of the room rent on a prorated basis based on the date the resident officially checks out of the room with the required paperwork completed by a Residence Life staff member. Residents who are required to withdraw by the University because of a failure to meet obligations under the Housing Contract or for other reasons, who are removed from the residences, or who, while remaining enrolled at the University, move out of the residence halls are financially obligated for the remainder of the semester.

Who do I contact if I have further questions?

For questions related to your student’s housing, contact Residence Life at [[living]] or 757.221.4314.