Residence Life is committed to sustainability in our halls, providing those within our campus community opportunities to recycle, reuse, and compost. Here is how you can be a part of this effort:
What We Recycle
- Plastic (#1 & #2) - no caps please
- Cardboard (but no greasy pizza boxes please)
- Aluminum and metal cans
Do We Recycle Anything Else?
- In the future we will be expanding our collection areas across campus to include items such as batteries and toner cartridges.
- For other items such as CFLs you can contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office.
What Else Does W&M Residence Life Recycling Do?
- If you are a member of a student group having an event in a residence hall, we can provide you with recycling containers for your event and we'll come back and pick them up after the event.
- We will work with local charities to help coordinate donations from residents as well as surplus items that we can't use anymore.
- Let us know if you have old appliances or electronics to dispose and we'll help! We'll either find someone who can use them or determine how to dispose of them responsibly.
How Can I Help?
Aside from properly disposing your recyclable items, we can always use good ideas! If you have any suggestions or questions, you can email Chris Durden, Director of Housing Operations, at [[mcdurd]] or speak to your Community Council and Hall representatives.
For information about how and where you can compost on campus, click here.