2018-2019 Resource Guide


 PDF Version


Staff and Offices Room Changes and Selection Resources and Information
Opportunities for Involvement Room Reservation Deposit Vacancies/Consolidation
Policies Safety/Security Contract Cancellation
Damages Prohibited Items Eligibility
Emergency Readiness Air Conditioning Self Determination
Facilities/Maintenance Pets Appliances
Guests/Visitation Housing Options Shared Living Expectations

The university reserves the right to make reasonable modifications to this Resource Guide to ensure safety or protection of property, provided reasonable advance notice is given.

Residence Life has overall responsibility for the management of the university’s student residences. 

Residence Life Staff and Offices

The Associate Vice President for Campus Living oversees all functions of the Residence Life and First Year Experience offices.  The Associate VP is responsible for the direction, coordination and management of all aspects of these programs, including long-term facilities and financial planning.

The Director for Housing Operations has primary responsibility for all matters concerning the physical environment of the residence halls including maintaining an inventory of all furnishings and equipment, residence hall safety and security, key control and serves as liaison to Facilities Management, the laundry contractor and Auxiliary Services.

The Associate Director for Administration has responsibility for the room assignment and room change processes, directs the summer housing program, updates housing publications and serves as a liaison to Information Technology and Student Accounts.

The Associate Director for Community Development provides leadership to the department’s philosophy of self-governance known as Self-Determination along with community development, leadership, student learning, and student staffing.

The Assistant Director for Community Development coordinates the Community Advocate staff and functions of the Center for Community Development and works with the Associate Director for Community Development to provide leadership to the department’s philosophy of self-governance known as Self-Determination along with community development, leadership, student learning, and student staffing.

The Assistant Directors for Residence Life have primary responsibility for overseeing and managing residential areas for campus, averaging 2500 residents each. Responsibilities include basic counseling referrals, advising RHA and NRHH, community and leadership development, crisis intervention, facilities management, adjudication of higher level student conduct cases, and student care management. They supervise 3-4 Area Directors, and indirectly the student staff. The Assistant Directors train, supervise, and evaluate the Area Director staff.

The seven Area Directors (ADs) are live-in staff members who are responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of a specific group of buildings, considered their area.  The responsibilities of Area Directors include advising, crisis intervention, referrals, community development and adjudication of student conduct cases.  They also select, train, supervise and evaluate the student staff assigned to their residential area, as well as coordinate maintenance and custodial issues for their buildings.

The four Administrative Support Staff oversees financial recordkeeping, damage billing, data records, personnel and payroll issues and other central office functions. 

Graduate and undergraduate student staff members: 

 The Graduate Complex Director (CD) supervises the Graduate Resident Assistants (GRAs) in the Graduate Complex.  The Complex Director works with the Community Council, coordinates the duty office and oversees other administrative tasks for the complex.

The Graduate Resident Assistants (GRAs) coordinate community development and administrative tasks for the Graduate Complex buildings to which they are assigned.

The graduate Hall Directors (HDs) supervise and evaluate the Resident Assistants in the buildings to which they are assigned.  They advise Community Council, oversee administrative tasks, coordinate the duty office and assist the Area Director with administrative and community development support.

The Head Residents (HRs) advise Community Councils and coordinate duty office procedures and duty responsibilities for the Resident Assistants in their area.  In addition, they assist the Area Director with administrative and community development support.

The Resident Assistants (RAs) are assigned a hall, wing, section of a building, or a cluster of apartments.  They live with the residents and work to develop community.  They are responsible for community development and assist the Area Director with administrative tasks as assigned.

The Community Advocates (CAs) are a team of five students who staff the Center for Community Development.  They provide expertise, ideas and materials to support the community development efforts of RAs, GRAs and other Residence Life Staff and leaders,  such as Community Council members, Residence Hall Association (RHA), National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH).

The Housing Assistants (HAs) are a team of eight students who assist with safety and security inspections in the fraternity and sorority houses.  They assist the Area Director with administrative tasks in the houses and communicate with the residents.

The Central Office Student Assistants provide support for clerical and administrative functions of Residence Life such as filing, scanning documents, campus deliveries, room check outs, and other similar duties.

The Facilities Assistants provide support for operational functions of Residence Life such as but not limited to conducting inventories, safety inspections, and providing contractor escorts through the halls.

Residence Hall Areas

The residence halls are divided into seven residential areas.

  1. Fraternity Houses, Sorority Court,Yates
  2. Randolph Complex (Cabell, Giles, Harrison, Nicholas Apartments, Page, Pleasants, and Preston) and Green & Gold Village (Griffin, Eagle, Lion)
  3. Graduate Complex, Ludwell Apartments, Richmond, CW House
  4. Hunt, Reves, Taliaferro, Brown, Monroe, Old Dominion, DuPont
  5. One Tribe Place, Botetourt Complex (Dinwiddie, Fauquier, Gooch, Nicholson and Spotswood)
  6. Hardy, Lemon, Tribe Square, and Bryan Complex (Bryan, Camm, Dawson, Madison and Stith)
  7. Chandler, Landrum, Jefferson, and Barrett

Duty Offices

Residence Life operates fourteen Duty Offices in seven residential areas. These locations will be shared at opening community meetings and posted in each residence hall. A staff member is on duty each night while school is in session from 6 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Duty office hours are 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday – Thursday and 6 p.m. to 11.30 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights in undergraduate housing and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Graduate Complex.  These staff members are available to answer questions, check out area equipment and do periodic rounds of the residence area. Duty Offices have student room keys, extra toilet paper and helpful information.  In addition, some Community Councils have purchased TVs, vacuum cleaners, DVD players and games that residents can check out from the Duty Office using their W&M student IDs.

During the summer session, a staff member is on duty every night from 6 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and available in the duty office from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Opportunities for Involvement and Leadership

Residence hall staff members plan activities and events in the halls throughout the year to foster community development.  These activities are supplemented by the events and activities planned by individual Community Councils and the Residence Hall Association (RHA).

Community Councils

Community Councils are student-run governing bodies elected in each of the residence halls/areas.  Community Councils help develop community, plan educational and social activities, recommend hall improvements, advise on policy issues, administer Self-Determination and oversee Community Agreements.  Community Councils are a great way for students to meet each other and develop leadership skills. (See Self-Determination under the Policy section.)

Community Council Dues

Community Councils request dues from each resident at check-in.  These dues are not mandatory but are used to fund initiatives, study breaks, and the purchase of equipment (kitchen, recreation, etc.).

National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)

NRHH is the recognition branch of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls (NACURH).  Chapter membership is restricted to the top 1% of residence hall leaders. Membership is by nomination only.  http://web.wm.edu/so/nrhh/

Residence Hall Association (RHA)

RHA is the representative governing body for all William & Mary residence Community Councils.  This group offers opportunities for leadership across the state, region and nation. All residents are welcome to participate. (757) 221-1950. http://web.wm.edu/so/rha/


The Associate Vice President, Director of Housing Operations, Associate Directors, Assistant Directors, Area Directors and the staff of residences (Complex Director, Head Residents, Hall Directors, Resident Assistants, Graduate Resident Assistants, Housing Assistants and Community Advocates) are responsible for enforcing regulations as outlined in the current edition of the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy.

It is expressly understood that violation of policies in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy, Residence Life Resource Guide or of the terms of the Housing Contract by the resident may result in penalties ranging from a warning to the resident being discharged from the university’s residence halls to permanent dismissal from the university. The university is under no obligation to house a resident whose Contract has been previously terminated due to a failure to abide by the conditions of the Contract and Residence Life Resource Guide.

Check In and Check Out Procedures

Checking into a Room

Students are REQUIRED to officially check-in officially receive their room key(s) upon their arrival to campus.  Failure of a student to officially check-in and sign for their key(s) by the first day of classes may result in a referral to their Area Director.

Room Key Each resident will receive a room key and, where applicable, a front door key. ID card readers are available on most residence hall exterior entrances.  Residents sign a check-in key envelope indicating that they have obtained their key(s). Residents may not change or add locks (including chain locks, deadbolts, etc.).  Duplication of room keys is prohibited.

Room Condition Residence Life staff members conduct pre-occupancy readiness inspections of all resident rooms prior to check-in.  In addition, residents will be provided an opportunity to submit information about the condition of their room via an on-line form. This form must be completed within two weeks of check-in.   After two weeks the resident may be held financially responsible for damages or loss to the assigned space.

Early Check-In Residents must abide by the appointed schedule for arrival.  Early arrivals will be limited to those student leaders and groups designated essential to university activities in advance of the official opening. Individual residents who are approved by Residence Life to arrive early will be assessed an additional charge that will be charged to their student account.  All early arrivals must abide by all university rules, regulations and policies. Early arrival approvals apply only to the individual being approved by Residence Life and does not extend to friends, roommates or apartment-mates and includes not storing belongings for another student.

Checking out of a Room

Keys Residents who change rooms, withdraw or otherwise leave university housing must return their keys to a Residence Life staff member or the Residence Life Office within 48 hours. If a key is lost or not returned by the stated deadline, a $55 per key and $75 per apartment change will be assessed.  Unauthorized copies of keys will not be accepted.  At final check‑out in spring semester, keys must be received by the Area Director by 10AM on the Monday following Commencement.

Late Check-Out At the end of the fall semester residents should plan to leave campus housing by 10AM on the day the residence halls close.  This does not apply to residents of Tribe Square and the Graduate Complex.  Late check-outs in the fall will not be approved.  For the spring, non-graduating residents who are approved by Residence Life to remain beyond the stated deadline may be billed an additional charge if the stay is beyond the contract dates.

Withdrawals/Room changes during the semester  When a resident changes rooms, withdraws or is separated from the university or its residences for any reason, the resident will remove all personal belongings from the university premises, vacate the residence and return key(s) within 48 hours. Residents may choose an Express check out option, or may check out with a residence life staff member. Upon request, residents are provided an opportunity to meet with a Residence Life staff member after they have moved all of their belongings from their room and have the room inspected.  The staff member will collect the room key(s) and evaluate the condition of the room, noting any damages, missing items or cleaning concerns. Residents who choose Express check out  are subject to charges for any or all damages/loss or cleaning of the room. Exceptions to the 48-hour provision may be authorized for good cause by Residence Life. Contact a staff member in your building or living@wm.edu for assistance with check out procedures.

Withdrawals at the end of the Fall semester   Students who will not continue to live in the same room during the spring semester are required to remove all their belongings from their room at the end of the fall semester.  The resident will be provided with an opportunity to meet with a Residence Life staff member who will collect the room key(s) and evaluate the condition of the room and note any damages, missing items or cleaning concerns.

Abandoned Property The university will not be responsible for damage or loss of any personal property not removed within 48 hours after a student withdraws, separates from the university, or after the residence halls close in the spring. A room-cleaning charge will be assessed against any student who fails to remove his/her items or personal property within 48 hours of withdrawal or separation.  Personal property left in rooms, hallways, stairwells, lounges and other common areas will be considered abandoned property and will be discarded.

Housing Contract Details and Cancellations



Only registered and currently enrolled degree seeking William & Mary students, including research graduates, are eligible to reside in university housing.

All freshman students are required to live in university housing.  Freshman student status, as defined by this policy is first-time, full-time college or university student status for two semesters (i.e., no full-time college or university experience after high school).

Exceptions to the freshman residency requirement may be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Campus Living via email at living@wm.edu  if one or more of the following conditions apply:

(1) freshmen who commute daily within a 30-mile radius from the homes of their parents or legal guardians

(2) freshmen who are 21 years of age or older

(3) married freshmen.

Freshmen who transfer to William & Mary before completing two full-time semesters at another college or university are required to live on campus.

The movement of freshmen (based on social class) assigned to a first year student housing to an upper-level housing or off‑campus is not permitted.  Freshmen are not permitted to move into Fraternity or Sorority Housing during their first year in housing. The same policy applies to upper-level students requesting a move to freshmen student housing. The Associate Vice President reserves the right to make exceptions to this protocol.

Part-time and unclassified students may apply for housing but will only be offered a space after all full-time degree seeking students have been accommodated.  Students currently residing in campus housing who are approved to drop to part-time status will not be required to leave campus housing.

Students currently residing in campus housing who complete their undergraduate degree in December and are admitted and immediately enroll in an official W&M graduate program are permitted to remain in their current housing assignment for the remainder of the academic year.

Contract Period

The term of this Contract is for the entire academic year  and covers both fall 2018 and spring 2019 semesters until 48 hours after completion of a  resident's last regularly scheduled exam for non-graduating students and 10AM on the Monday following Commencement in May for graduating students and those approved for late check-out. 

Tribe Square. The Housing Contract for residents of Tribe Square covers 11½ months, consisting of summer 2018, fall 2018 and spring 2019 and ends at 10AM on the Monday following Commencement in May.

Cancellation Policy

Refer to Residence Life Housing Contract for specific timelines and processes for contract cancellation.

Contract Release Committee   Outside of the specific timelines for contract cancellation outlined in the contract terms and conditions, upper-level and graduate students with extraordinary circumstances may seek to be released from their Housing Contract by submitting a written petition to the Contract Release Committee.   The following reasons do not constitute extraordinary circumstances:  delay in receiving housing due to wait list status, failure to read and understand that the Housing Contract is binding, dissatisfaction with housing or roommate assignment, signing a lease or purchasing a home off campus.  Students are strongly encouraged to gain contract release approval prior to making any commitments to off campus housing.  Petitions must be submitted to Residence Life at living@wm.edu in care of the Contract Release Committee.  This Committee will review the written documentation and the student will be notified by e-mail of the Committee’s decision.  The Committee will review petitions during the first and third weeks of each month and the decision of the Committee is final. Decisions of the Committee are final; there is no appeal process. Freshmen seeking an exemption to the housing residency requirement must contact the Associate Vice President for Campus Living and meet specific criteria for exemption.

Meal Plan Requirement

Per university policy, all undergraduate students residing in campus housing are required to purchase a meal plan.  Students should refer to Dining Services website for meal plan eligibility based on their social class and room assignment.

Temporary Housing   The university reserves the right to assign incoming freshmen to temporary accommodations in the event that regular room assignments are not available.  Freshmen assigned to temporary assignments will be required to relocate to a permanent space as rooms become available.

Special Interest House Allocation   In the event a group loses its Special Interest House allocation, Residence Life reserves the right to reassign individuals to alternative spaces.  If loss of Special Interest Housing for the succeeding year occurs after individual Housing Contracts are signed but prior to the annual room selection process, the individual Housing Contract will be canceled and those students will have the option of selecting rooms in the room selection process.  Chapters should refer to the Fraternity & Sorority Housing Manual for details.


The resident agrees to pay the university in advance, on a semester basis (including the summer session for Tribe Square residents), the rent established for the room as assigned. The initial rate for the assigned space at which the resident is billed for the assigned space (except for clerical error) is guaranteed for the entire academic session unless: (1) the occupancy level of the room changes or (2) the resident changes to another room and the rate for the new room is different when a refund or additional payment may be required.  Room rates will be prorated on a daily basis for students acquiring campus housing more than two weeks after the first day of occupancy. 

Refund/Forfeiture Policies

If the resident withdraws from the university during the course of the semester, refunds of the room rent will be refunded as outlined by the schedule in the contract terms and conditions, or prorated based on the date the resident officially checks out of the room with the required paperwork completed by a Residence Life staff member, whichever is most applicable.  Residents who are required to withdraw by the university because of a failure to meet obligations under the Housing Contract or who for other reasons are removed from the residences, or who, while remaining enrolled at the university, move out of the residence halls may be financially obligated for the remainder of the contract.

Room Selection Process

While freshmen are required to live on campus, housing beyond the freshman year is not required but strongly encouraged.  Each spring, returning students who plan to live on campus must pay a $200 non-refundable deposit to be eligible to participate in the annual Room Selection Process.  Details regarding this process are available on the Residence Life web site.



Room Damage/Loss   The resident (and roommate(s) where assigned) is responsible for damages to the assigned room, as well as damage and/or loss to the furnishings and fixtures the university has provided. The resident agrees to pay for the restoration of the property to its condition at the time of occupancy or for repairs or replacement (except normal wear and tear), unless the identity of others responsible for the damage or loss is established and proven by the resident(s). Resident(s) are responsible for any damage or loss to the premises caused by their guests. This responsibility extends until the resident is officially checked out of the assigned space by a Residence Life staff member. Charges for damages, cleaning, replacement of furniture, etc. shall be divided by the number of students assigned to the room. If one or more roommates assume responsibility for damages, cleaning, replacement of furniture, etc., a written statement signed by the responsible party must be noted on the Closing Agreement, which must be signed by all of the room/apartment residents and submitted to the Area Director indicating who specifically should be charged.  Charges will not be assessed to one roommate based solely on another roommate’s claim.  Students should ensure all windows and doors to the room are locked and secured before their final departure at check-out.

Common Area Damage/Loss   Residents are responsible for any damage or loss caused or non-routine cleaning or trash removal required to the common areas of the residence halls and their furnishings, including vending machines and other equipment placed in the residence halls as a convenience to the residents. Common areas include hallways, stairwells, recreation rooms, kitchens, study rooms, living rooms, laundry rooms, common bathrooms and lounges. When damage occurs, the responsible student(s) will be billed directly for the repairs. If no individuals are identified as the responsible parties, individual Community Councils and Residence Life staff have the authority to assess and assign charges to students for these damages.  Common Area Charges that are assigned by the Community Councils will be collected directly by Community Council representatives prior to the end of the semester.  Residents are expected to provide payment to the Community Council representative.  If at the end of the year charges assigned by the Community Council have not been paid, Residence Life will bill the student directly for Community Council charges plus an additional $15 administrative charge.  Damages may also result in action through the Code of Conduct. Those students who are responsible for vandalism or theft may be removed from and/or denied future housing in university residence halls.

Procedures for appealing damage charges   In the event the resident wishes to contest charges for damages or loss, the following procedure is prescribed:

  • Contact the Area Director via email for the building in which the alleged damage occurred. For Community Council levied damage billing, appeals may be heard by the Community Council or the Community Council’s designees prior to the last day of classes in the spring semester. After the last day of classes in the spring semester the Area Director will hear all appeals.
  • Residents may appeal the decision of the Area Director or by contacting the Director of Housing Operations in via email. The decision of the Director of Housing Operations is final. Appeals of Community Council levied damages will be forwarded automatically to the Appeals Board.
  • Community Council damage appeals will be heard by the Appeals Board consisting of three representatives from the Residence Hall Association (RHA). The decision of the Appeals Board is final.
  • Charges must be appealed in writing within 30 days of the date of the bill. Bills received during the summer must be appealed in writing before the end of the first full week of classes in the fall semester. 

Insurance/Damage to Personal Property

The university is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage to personal property resulting from fire, theft, flood, casualty or any cause, or for personal injury occurring within the leased premises, except as may be required by Virginia law. Residence Life and the University are not permitted to directly reimburse residents for any damages or claims per Virginia law. It is strongly recommended that personal property insurance be carried by each student.  


Emergency Readiness

Personal Evacuation Plans   All students in campus housing are required to have a personal evacuation plan on file with the university prior to the first day of undergraduate classes.  Failure to submit a plan is a violation of the Code of Conduct and will result in a referral to the Community Values and Restorative Practices Office. 

In the event the university determines evacuation of the residence halls is necessary, all students in housing will be required to vacate their rooms and will not be allowed to return until the university officially reopens.  This includes residents of CW House, Tribe Square, and the Graduate Complex.

Shelter-In-Place Policy   When emergency conditions do not warrant or allow time to evacuate campus, students may be asked to take shelter inside their residence hall.  A shelter-in-place alert will be given by William & Mary’s Emergency Management Team (EMT) to limit student and employee exposure to apparent life-threatening, hostile or hazardous situations.  To prepare for an emergency, residents are encouraged to keep a supply of required medications along with snacks and bottled water in their rooms.

If a shelter-in-place alert is communicated:

  • Follow the instructions provided by the EMT to either remain where you are or to go immediately to your residence hall.
  • Stay where you are until an ‘all clear’ notice is given.  Do not go outside for any reason.
  • Close and lock all windows and close your window blinds/shades.
  • If instructed, turn off all air conditioners, heaters and fans.  Close all vents.
  • Stay inside.  If instructed, stay out of lounges and hallways as much as possible.
  • Gather essential supplies like your mobile phone, ID, medications, bottled water and snacks.
  • Wait for further instructions


Facilities Management and Maintenance

The following services are provided by Facilities Management and can be accessed by calling 757-221-2270 or through the on-line service request system. Students who need assistance to submit online service requests should contact a member of the Residence Life staff.

Building Services/Trash Removal   Building Services staff is responsible for routine cleaning of common areas, such as hallways, stairwells, common area bathrooms and lounges.  Hallways and stairwells must be kept free of personal belongings that could impede the ability of Building Services staff to maintain these areas.  No cleaning services are provided for apartments or suite/private bathrooms.  Students are expected to maintain their rooms in an orderly and sanitary condition. This includes removal of personal trash (ex: trash bags, pizza boxes, etc.) to a university dumpster and recycling to university approved recycling areas.  Residents may be charged a fee for the removal of personal trash from common areas.

Extermination Residents must take care in keeping their rooms and common areas clean to prevent insect infestation.  The university is under contract with an extermination service to respond to specific insect and pest problems.  This service must be requested through Facilities Management by calling directly to 757-221-2270 to make an appointment.

Maintenance   While the university is responsible for the routine maintenance, the resident is responsible for reporting maintenance concerns in their assigned spaces (room, apartment, suite/private bathroom, etc.). The university will provide electrical power, heat and water and maintain these utilities under controllable conditions.  As a condition of the housing contract, the university shall not be responsible or liable for any damage or loss to personal property caused by the cessation or failure of such utilities, no matter the reason.  Moreover, the university will not be in breach of this Contract if such utility service is suspended for any reason.  If the premises are rendered unsafe or unfit for occupancy the university will offer alternate campus housing if it is available or provide a prorated refund of the unused portion of the rent according to the schedule printed in the most recent edition of the William & Mary Catalog.

Repairs Requests for repairs should be filed by the resident on the Facilities Management web site. Submitting this online request provides official authorization for university staff to enter the student room/apartment.  If the repair is not made within a reasonable amount of time the resident should contact Facilities Management to determine the status of the service request using the service request number provided. If the repair is still not made, the Area Director should be notified of the situation and given the opportunity to resolve the problem.

Emergency Repairs   The Emergency Call Center (757-221-2270) operates Monday through Friday, 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays.  Routine facilities issues should be reported through the on-line service request form.

Rent Rebates    If after a reasonable amount of time repairs are not made or sufficient reason for the delay provided, the resident may appeal via email to the Director of Housing Operations for a rent rebate or other solution.  Rebates are granted only in cases where the university has remained unresponsive and the condition of the premises is such that reasonable occupancy and use thereof is precluded.  The decision of the Director of Housing Operations concerning whether a rebate is final and may not be appealed.  Once a rebate has been granted, the amount of the rebate may not be appealed.  Rebate requests must be made prior to June 30 of the current contract year.


The following is provided in each room: one bed, mattress (typically 36"x 80"), chest of drawers, closet/wardrobe, desk, and desk chair per student and one recycling container per room.  Other furnishings will vary according to the individual residence hall.  Residents in Richmond Hall and Tribe Square have full size mattresses. Residents of One Tribe Place should check the Residence Life website to determine the bed size in each room.

  • Furniture provided by the university will not be removed from a resident’s room or apartment by the university. If a student wishes to remove furniture they may do so at their own effort and risk, as long as it is returned to the assigned room and in the same condition upon check out.
  • Room and apartment furniture may not be switched between rooms or with lounge furniture.University provided furniture from student rooms and common areas may not be taken outside. 
  • Furniture in One Tribe Place may not be removed from the room because of the unique set up of the spaces; residents may request additional furniture such as desks, wardrobes and dressers.
  • Window screens may not be removed. Students who have a window air conditioner will have their screen removed and stored by Facilities Management.
  • To maintain positive air pressure in the buildings, the windows in One Tribe Place and Richmond Hall are inoperable. 



Guests on the Hall   Guests are expected to abide by all rules and regulations of William & Mary, Residence Life, and individual building Community Agreements. The resident is responsible for the behavior of all guests, including restitution for damage to university facilities.

Guests in the Room In order to have a guest(s), residents must have the consent of the roommate(s)/apartment mate(s) on each occasion.  Visits of more than three consecutive days and cohabitation (residency with someone other than an officially assigned roommate) are not permitted.   Residents are strongly encouraged to discuss guests in the room as part of their roommate agreement.

Inspections/Room Entry/Searches

Authorized personnel may enter a student room:

(1)  For the purpose of assuring fire protection, life safety, sanitation or scheduled maintenance and use of the university’s furnishings, fixtures and facilities. Any such inspections or entry, except in the case of emergencies, shall be announced in advance by the posting of a notice in the residence hall or via e-mail notification. The resident’s absence will not prevent the carrying out of such maintenance or safety inspections.

(2) When an occupant has requested repairs or extermination by completing an on-line service request form, authorized maintenance personnel may enter in the resident’s absence for the sole purpose of making the repairs or exterminating as requested.

(3) To ensure the buildings are secured Residence Life staff may enter and check resident rooms during closing for the semester break.  Visible violations of university policy may result in a referral to the Community Values and Restorative Practices Office.

(4) If a roommate moves out of a room, Residence Life staff may enter the room following the completion of the move to inspect for damages/loss and ensure space is available for a new occupant.

(5) To verify that all vacancies are prepared for new occupants for the spring semester. A referral to the Community Values and Restorative Practices Office and/or cleaning charges may be imposed on a resident if his/her room is not ready for a new occupant.

(6)  If noise (unattended loud music, alarms, etc.) coming from a room where the occupants are not present is causing a disruption to the community.

(7)  To unlock a suite bathroom door if it is reasonable to assume that suitemates will be gone overnight and/or being locked out of the bathroom creates a major inconvenience or safety hazard to locked-out residents.

(8)  To retrieve necessary items for residents who may be hospitalized or out of town.

Residence Life policy prohibits staff members from unlocking room doors for anyone other than the assigned occupant(s) (except in those cases outlined in the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities found in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy).

It is understood and agreed that a resident’s room or possessions on campus will not be searched by university authorities for violation of university rules and regulations or applicable law unless there is reasonable administrative cause to believe that a resident is using his/her room for purposes in violation of university rules or regulations, or in violation of this Contract and unless a certificate authorizing the search has been issued and signed by the Vice President of Student Affairs or her designee. The certificate shall state the source of information, the violation, the location of the search, the materials to be seized or information sought and the name(s) of the person(s) authorized to conduct the search. The foregoing does not apply to searches conducted by local or William & Mary Police.  Such searches are governed by the Code of Virginia.


Room Changes and Room Selection

Residents may not move from one room to another without prior written approval from Residence Life. Violation of this requirement will result in a $50 charge (the resident will be required to move back into the original assignment) and is a violation of this Contract which may result in a referral to the Community Values and Restorative Practices Office. 

Room Change Dates The room change process begins one week after the first day of classes in the fall and continues through the spring semester until the last day of classes. No room changes will be processed after the last day of classes.   

General Room Changes   Students interested in changing rooms should go to Residence Life, 212 Campus Center, once the room change period begins to complete the Room Change Request Form.  Changes are typically approved as available on a first-come, first-served basis, but may be made based on the individual circumstances involved.  Once a change has been granted students should complete their move within 48 hours.  Exceptions to the 48-hour provision may be authorized for good cause by the Associate Director for Administration.

Direct Room Switches  A direct switch is when two residents of the same residence hall area exchange room assignments.  Area Directors may approve direct changes during the academic year.  Room changes into vacant spaces or into another residence hall area must follow the general room change guidelines. Direct room changes (person for person) prior to move in are accepted only in June. All students involved must e-mail living@wm.edu from the student’s William & Mary account between June 1 and June 30 stating who is moving into which room and that everyone is in agreement with the switch. As long as the rooms are not in Special Interest Housing (other than Fraternity/Sorority Housing) and there are no vacancies involved in the switch, the request is usually approved.  Direct room changes involving special interest housing will require approval from the academic department that administers the house.  Otherwise, requests for room changes will not be accepted until one week after the first day of classes at the beginning of the fall semester.

End of Fall Semester Room Changes   At the end of the fall semester, there are a substantial number of room changes.  Individuals who change rooms must officially vacate and check-out of their former assignment before the halls close for the winter break.  Residents will be provided with instructions at the time they sign the room change approval paperwork. Residents may not pass keys on to other residents and must individually complete the room change process as outlined. Items may not be moved to the new location until the room change has been authorized and a move-in date provided.

Room Reservation Deposit

Students who wish to participate in the Room Selection process for the upcoming year must submit a $200 non-refundable deposit by the advertised deadline. The $200 Room Reservation Deposit will be credited toward the fall room rent charge due the university.  Failure to pay the deposit by the stated deadline will make the student ineligible to participate in the official spring Room Selection Process.  Please note that payment of the deposit is the responsibility of the student.  Bills and reminders concerning the Room Reservation Deposit are not sent to parents/guardians. If space is available, students who do not pay the deposit may be assigned a room after all deposited students have completed the selection process.

Currently Enrolled Students To request a room in a university residence for the following academic year, a currently enrolled student or a student readmitted by the Dean of Students before the deposit deadline must pay a $200 deposit by the advertised deadline date and must sign or electronically accept the Housing Contract with the university prior to selecting or being offered a space in housing.  This $200 Room Reservation Deposit serves as the student’s indication that he/she wishes to reside in university housing. It is non-refundable except in the event the resident officially withdraws from the university, is academically dropped, is selected to participate in an approved Semester Study Away program, is unable to enroll due to illness, or is temporarily wait-listed from the Room Selection Process.  A person who is wait-listed from the Room Selection Process can take one prospective roommate with him/her to move off campus as long as they request a refund together and apply by the stated deadline. 

Residence Life must be notified by July 1 (the date deposits are released to Student Accounts) that a resident has officially withdrawn or will be participating in an approved study away program.  This notification is necessary to cancel the Housing Contract and refund the $200 deposit.  If notification is not received by July 1 the $200 deposit shall be forfeited and other charges may apply.

Transfer/Returning/New Students Prior to receiving an on campus housing assignment students must electronically accept the Housing Contract indicating they have read and agree to the terms and conditions of housing. 

Room Responsibility Residents are responsible for the security of their assigned space.  Residents should keep their room doors locked when they are away from the room or sleeping and should not leave guests unattended in their room/apartment.  Residents are responsible for the actions of guests and any violations that occur in their assigned residence space.


Safety and Security

General Safety

(1) The university cannot guarantee the safety and security of the premises. Residents are responsible for their personal security and that of their belongings within university facilities.

(2) Because of the risk of injury and property damage, residents are prohibited from planning and/or participating in events and activities that involve the use of water and water devices within or adjacent to campus residences, i.e. swimming pools, water balloons, water guns, or slip-n-slides. Residents are also prohibited from engaging in sports indoors within campus residences; this includes but is not limited to football, soccer, bikes, skateboards or hover boards.

(3) A valid William & Mary ID is required to access the residence halls. While the university is in session the exterior doors to the residence halls will be controlled to restrict access to residents, other currently enrolled students and guests accompanied by a resident.  Access to residences by non-residents may be restricted to earlier hours, if the Community Council decides or if the university determines that this is necessary for safety and security reasons.

(4) Residents may not engage in any activity that creates a safety risk or that jeopardizes the security of the premises, including but not limited to, the propping of exterior doors and the removal of window screens.

(5) For safety reasons, the roofs, porches, window ledges, unfinished attics and mechanical equipment rooms of all residential facilities are restricted areas and may not be accessed.

(6) Individuals observed in the residential facilities who are not residents, currently enrolled students or guests escorted by a resident should be reported immediately to a Residence Life staff member or William & Mary Police. 

Electrical and Fire Safety

(1) Permanent electrical circuits cannot be altered by occupants or anyone not authorized by the university.

(2)  Appliances and any other electrical equipment with damaged, worn, spliced, cracked or frayed cords and plugs must be replaced and may not be used in the residence halls.

(3)  All lighting fixtures must use only light bulbs of type and wattage as recommended by the manufacturer.  Lamp shades must also meet manufacturer specifications for the specific fixture.

(4) Please refer to the list of prohibited items below.

(5) Grounded re-locatable power taps or surge protectors with a “reset” switch are the only allowable receptacle extensions from wall outlets.  Each power tap must be plugged directly into a wall receptacle and they must not be plugged into one another.  Non-fused extension cords and flexible cords are prohibited in residence hall rooms.

(6) No power cord, of any type, shall be extended through walls, ceilings or floors, or under doors or floor coverings, nor shall any cord be subject to environmental damage or physical impact.

(7)  Combustible items may not be stored within 24” of the ceiling (18” for buildings with sprinkler systems).

Fire Safety

(1)  Open flames (from any source) and burning materials of any kind are absolutely prohibited in the residence halls.

(2) The integrity of all ceilings, floors and walls must remain intact and not be disturbed.  Ceiling tiles are not to be removed, disturbed or broken, nor should items be stored above a drop ceiling.  Light fixtures must have a proper globe or deflector in place.  Any open bulb fixture is a fire hazard and should be reported.

(3)  Additional permanent wall coverings (e.g. paneling, wallpaper, etc.) may not be installed by occupants.

(4) According to Virginia State Fire Code, candles and incense are prohibited in residence halls, even if such items are unlit or being used for decorative purpose only.  Decorative candles that do not have a wick are permissible.

(5) According to Virginia State Fire Code, no more than 10% of a residence hall room’s wall surface area may be covered by potentially flammable objects.  This includes but is not limited to posters, framed pictures, photos, flags, tapestries or any other decorative objects that are mounted on the wall.  Residents in residence hall rooms that approach or surpass this 10% level may be required to remove items as necessary to comply with state fire safety requirements.   In addition, wall hangings cannot contact electrical outlets or come closer than 12 inches to the heating unit.  Some ceiling decorations are prohibited if they interfere with mounted ceiling lights, fire alarm and detection equipment or sprinkler systems.

(6) Window decorations other than university furnished shades, drapes or blinds may be used but must carry a recognized fire rating and be constructed of fire retardant material.

(7) Living areas must be kept uncluttered and access to the doors clear.  Hallways and stairways must remain clear and unobstructed. No student belongings may be left in these areas.

(8) At no time may the maximum capacity restrictions of a room or apartment, be exceeded.  (See Capacity Numbers in the Policies section)

(9) Fireplaces: working fireplaces in the following locations may be used under conditions as noted: DuPont, Graduate Complex lounge, Taliaferro and Tazewell.

     (a) Residents must be trained in proper fireplace safety procedures by a Campus Fire Safety Officer.  Once trained, residents may be issued fireplace equipment.

     (b) There should always be a fire extinguisher present in the vicinity when there is an attended fire in the fireplace.

     (c) The use of chemical fire starters is prohibited. 

     (d) Residents wishing to use a fire pit (commercially designed or ground installed) must obtain a “Burn Permit” from a Campus Fire Safety Officer prior to each activity using a fire pit.

(10) When cooking, residents must remain physically present in the kitchen at all times to monitor the cooking process and ensure that nothing is burning or that excessive smoke does not set off the fire alarm.

Prohibited Items in the Residence Halls

Listed below are examples of items not permitted in the residence halls.  This list is not all-inclusive.

  • animals (excluding fish and pre-approved assistance animals)
  • candles
  • resident installed ceiling fans
  • chain locks
  • curtains that are not fire rated – all curtains must be fire retardant and must have the tag intact to confirm the fire rating or the curtains have been treated with a fire retardant spray.  It is the responsibility of the resident to keep documentation regarding either the curtains or the spray to present to the State Fire Marshal if requested.
  • dead-bolt locks
  • explosives
  • firearms
  • fireworks
  • fog or smoke machines of any kind
  • gasoline and combustible liquids
  • gasoline-powered or motorized vehicles (motorcycles, scooters, etc.)
  • hover boards
  • incense
  • live-cut Christmas trees
  • non-fused extension cords and multi-plug adapters – all extension cords and multi-plug adapters must be surge protected with a resettable internal circuit breaker.  This includes plug-in air fresheners, desk lamps and bed risers that have built-in adapters.
  • oil lamps
  • outside antennas
  • open flames
  • scented plug-in devices of any kind
  • space heaters
  • halogen lamps
  • waterbeds
  • weapons  (see College Code of Conduct for definitions of weapons)
  • The following kitchen appliances are prohibited in student rooms, but may be used in residence hall kitchens: bread machines, crock pots, immersion coils, hotpots that are not thermostatically controlled, rice cookers, hot plates, toaster ovens, broilers, George Foreman Grills, electric skillets/woks and other portable electric cooking devices.


Prohibited Activity in Student Rooms

Assigned residence halls are to be used strictly as the student’s residence and for no other purpose. Residents are prohibited from using the residence hall, assigned room, or any equipment or facilities found in the hall or the room (i.e. Ethernet or wireless connection) for purposes of conducting a personal business or engaging in illegal activity of any kind. Exemptions for limited-term class projects for academic credit that involve conducting a personal business may be requested from the Associate Vice President for Campus Living.

Smoke-Free Community

Complying with the requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia and according to William & Mary's smoking policy, all residence halls, apartments, and houses are smoke-free.  Residents, guests, and employees must refrain from smoking at any time they are physically present in the building, including private residence rooms and within a 25-foot radius surrounding all university owned and operated facilities.  This includes the use of e-cigarettes (and vaping).

Residence Life will not store university furnishings outside the resident’s room.  A student’s personal property may not be stored in any area outside the resident’s room including common areas such as lounges and corridors. W&M does not provide storage of personal items over the summer or after students have checked out their room.


Students may not transfer this Contract or sublet the assigned room to another party.

Vacancies/ Space Consolidation

Residence Life reserves the right to fill all vacancies to consolidate space. If a space becomes available in a room because a roommate has not been assigned or a roommate moves out, Residence Life reserves the right to fill the vacancy. If Residence Life determines space is available, residents will be notified and offered the opportunity to continue to live in the room at an increased rate for the balance of the semester and be assured the university will not assign someone to that space.

A “double as single” rate shall be charged an additional $1800 per semester to retain the room as a guaranteed single. Students who choose to keep the room as a double must accept any assigned roommate over the course of the year.

Unwelcoming to Potential Roommates

Residents who engage in conduct to discourage or intimidate other students from moving into a room or who otherwise attempt to manipulate the housing assignment process may be subject to referral to the Community Values and Restorative Practices Office.  This includes not responding to phone calls, e-mail or other attempts to make contact.

Additional Policies and Procedures:

Air Conditioning

Room rates are not based on the presence of air-conditioning.

Our buildings are cooled and heated much differently than a typical residential household.  Most homes use a system of ducts to move air throughout the house after it is cooled or heated in a central location.  Our buildings use a complicated system of chilled or heated water that is piped throughout the building to individual fan coil units in student rooms.

Some of our buildings have older cooling systems with fewer features, while some of our more recently updated buildings have systems that allow residents more control over their climate year-round.

Our older systems operate seasonally, and are either in cooling or heating mode. They are cooling from April through October, and heating November through March. They cannot operate in both modes simultaneously, and the mode is controlled from a central location.

Newly constructed and/or renovated buildings have systems that allow each student room to choose either heating or cooling year-round.  There is a thermostat in each room allowing residents to control the climate (within a set temperature range) as their preference dictates. 

Within both systems there are separate fresh air intakes that work in the hallways to bring fresh air into the building – often that air is tempered to remove moisture from the air that is coming into the building; but there is no filtration of the outside air. We recommend that students who desire filtered air bring an air purifier for their personal in-room use.

Students assigned to rooms equipped with window-unit air-conditioners can control their room temperature at will year round, and window units do provide an added level of air filtration.

Cooling cycle:  Air conditioning will be turned on in the spring on or about April 15. The following guidelines will be used to determine the exact date of start-up: three consecutive days of daily high temperatures higher than 70 degrees and/or night-time temperatures no lower than 60 degrees. All air conditioning will be turned on no later than April 20 regardless of weather.

Heating cycle: All air-conditioning in the residences will be turned off on or about October 15 of each year, The following guidelines will be used to determine the exact date of shutdown:  three consecutive days of daily temperatures no higher than 68 degrees and/or nighttime temperatures no higher than 50 degrees and a downward or stable trend forecast for seven days. All air conditioning will be turned off by November 1st regardless of weather.

The following chat identifies our buildings AC systems: 


AC in Lounges

AC in  Rooms

Type of Air Conditioning




chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling




no air conditioning




1st floor rooms only - chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




1st floor rooms only - chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




1st floor rooms only - chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




1st floor rooms only - chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




1st floor rooms only - chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings

Fraternity Houses



chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling

Graduate Complex



chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings

Griffin A, B, C, D & E



no air conditioning

Eagle F, G, H & J



no air conditioning

Lion K, L & M



no air conditioning




each room has a window air conditioner, heating is via heated water




chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling




chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling

Ludwell Apartments



external heat pumps with ducted air - each apartment has full control over heating and cooling modes




no air conditioning in individual rooms

Old Dominion



chilled water system - either cooling or heating - no on-demand settings

One Tribe Place



chilled water system - on demand heating and cooling




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings




chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings

Richmond Hall



AC / heat units in each room - each room has full control over heating and cooling modes

Sororities (all but House 5)



no air conditioning in individual rooms

Sororities - House 5 (Phi Beta Pi)



AC / heat units in each room - each room has full control over heating and cooling modes




each room has a window air conditioner provided

Tribe Square



external heat pumps with ducted air - each apartment has full control over heating and cooling modes




2 pipe chilled water system - either cooling or heating, no on-demand settings

Requesting Air Conditioning as an Accommodation

A request for air-conditioning is a request for an accommodation due to a disability that can be processed only through Student Accessibility Services.  Students who have a diagnosed disability and need air conditioning as an accommodation must register with Student Accessibility Services.  If approved, and depending on individual need, the university will assign the student to a chilled air system residence hall or the university will provide and install a window unit at no cost to the student. 



Students and guests must adhere to the university Alcohol Beverage Policies. http://www.wm.edu/offices/deanofstudents/services/studentconduct/studenthandbook/alcohol_beverage_policy/index.php


To preserve the health and safety of the residents, only fish in bowls or aquariums (no larger than 20 gallons) and service animals/pre-approved assistance animals are permissible in student rooms or student apartments.  In addition, since William & Mary presumes that non-human life has its own intrinsic value it calls on its students to refrain from activities that might prove harmful or cruel to animals.


The university’s residence halls are of varying design and construction type.  The university reserves the right to impose reasonable requirements with respect to the type and use of appliances, equipment and other items students bring into the residence halls.  Residents are strongly urged to use appliances that are Energy Star compliant.  (Refer to the Housing Contract Terms and Conditions: Prohibited Items for specific listing of items.) 

  • Refrigerators - Refrigerators no larger than 4.5 cubic feet and Energy Star rated are permitted in residence hall rooms. 
  • Microwave Ovens - Microwave ovens (without convection oven options) are permitted in residence hall rooms.
  • Other Approved Appliances - Hot air popcorn poppers and thermostatically controlled (switches the power off if the appliance overheats) coffee/tea makers are permitted.
  • Appliances in Apartments - Apartments are furnished with refrigerators and stove/oven units.  Apartment units with kitchens may be furnished with other kitchen appliances.


All students are required to register their bicycles with W&M Parking Services.  Bicycle registration is free and takes only a few minutes. Visit the Parking Services website for registration information. Bicycles must be parked in bicycle racks and should always be locked, even when left for a short period, to reduce the potential for theft.  Bicycles found locked to stairways, handicap ramps, in common areas or in violation of fire code are subject to being ticketed and immediately impounded at the owner’s expense.  Bicycles may not be kept in buildings when school is in session; however, students may store their bicycles in their residence hall rooms during breaks in the school year.

Capacity Numbers for Fire Code

Based on fire safety; maximum room and apartment capacities are as follows and should never be exceeded.

              Single rooms                      9

              Double rooms                    10

              Triple rooms                      11

              Quad rooms                       12

              Cabell apartments              20

              Grad double apartments    15

              Grad triple apartments       20*

              Grad quad apartments       15

              Ludwell apartments           20

              Nicholas apartments          30

              Tribe Square                      20

              * Grad triple apartments have a different capacity level due to apartment square footage.


Decorations Policy

Residents are permitted to decorate rooms, hallways and common areas as long as they adhere to the following policies:

(1) Smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire alarms and light fixtures must remain uncovered.  Residents must not drape or attach decorations to these items.

(2) Decorations must not obstruct hallways, fire exits, exit signs and access to fire safety equipment. 

(3) Free-standing or table top decorations are permitted.   When hanging items in common areas or on the exteriors of fraternity or sorority houses, the use of tape, tacks, nails or staples to attach decorations to walls, ceilings and doors (including room doors) is not permitted.  Decorations may be applied to bulletin boards as long as they comply with the other policies listed here.

(4) All light bulbs and light strings generate enough heat to ignite paper and cloth.  Residents must ensure that light bulbs and light strings do not come into contact with anything flammable.

(5) All lighting to decorate trees or rooms must be UL approved.  String lights or light ropes can be used to decorate student rooms.   Decorative lights must either be plugged directly into an outlet or into a surge protector.    Residents may run decorative light strings in series up to three strings per outlet.  The use of string lights in common areas is prohibited unless they are being used on a tree or they are battery powered. No crimping of cords may occur, so don't run cords under doorways or windows.

(6) For everyone’s safety, lights must be turned off when the area is unattended.

(7) Use of live garland, greenery, wreaths, leaves, twigs, bamboo, branches, hay or sand as decoration is prohibited.  Floors must not be covered with any material other than carpet or rugs.

(8) Artificial trees may be used in residence hall rooms, lounges, lobbies or living room areas; however, live, cut trees are prohibited by state fire code.

(9) All decorations must be removed after the specific function or, in the case of holidays, prior to residence halls closing for winter break.  Decorations left during the winter break in common areas will be removed and discarded and the hall/group responsible for the decorations may be billed.


Fundraising, Solicitation, Distribution and Sale Policies

Students and guests must adhere to the university policies regarding fundraising, solicitation, distribution and sale policies. http://www.wm.edu/offices/studentleadershipdevelopment/policies/fundraising/index.php


Locks and Keys

  • Bathroom Locks – Based on Virginia Code 1008.1.9, except as specifically permitted by this section egress doors shall be readily openable from the egress side without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.   Students are prohibited from installing any type of device to lock a bathroom door from the room.
    Lockouts - Students locked out of their room should contact a Residence Life staff member for admittance to the room or follow other instructions as provided.  Students must provide proof of residency (student I.D. number).  Students will only be admitted to their assigned rooms.  If a student’s room or apartment key is temporarily misplaced, a 7-day loan key is available at the Duty Office.  Replacements for lost or temporarily misplaced keys may also be obtained Residence Life, Campus Center 212, during normal weekday working hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or by calling 757-221-5625 on weekends.
  • Core Changes - If the residents of the room are present during the core change, they may sign for their new key(s) from the locksmith.  If residents are not present, a note will be left by the locksmith indicating that the new keys will be available in Residence Life until 5 p.m. the day of the change or after 6 p.m. the day of the change in their area duty office.
  • Non-Emergency Core Changes – Loaned keys not returned to the duty office or Residence Life office by the end of the 7-day loan period will result in a non-emergency core change.  The student account of the resident who checked out the loaned key will be billed the $55 per core for the change, $75 for apartments where both locks are changed. Non-emergency core changes are done on Wednesdays except during finals.
  • Emergency Core Changes – An emergency core change may be requested at the Residence Life office or in their duty office by the student if their original key is lost or stolen and changing the lock cannot wait until the next scheduled core change day.  The student account of the student requesting the emergency core change may be billed the $55 per core for the change, $75 for apartments where both locks are changed. 


Residents may construct lofts in their rooms.  The following rules and regulations will be adhered to concerning construction, use and disassembly of lofts in residence halls:

1. A loft is defined as a free standing platform intended to provide a sleeping surface only. Large structures that cover more than two-thirds of the room or are intended to add a second level to a room are not allowed.    

2. While the loft is being constructed or dismantled, hallways, doors or window areas must not be blocked with lumber, furniture, fixtures, etc. Doors and windows must never be obstructed.

3. Construction Guidelines:

  • Lofts must be free-standing.  Bolts, nails, chains, etc. cannot be sunken, attached or adhered in any way to the walls, floors and/or ceilings to support the loft.
  • Desks, dressers, wardrobes, etc. must not be used to support the loft.
  • Lofts must not be larger than 90" x 48".  Lofts must also be constructed in such a way as to allow 36" clearance between the top of the mattress and an 8' or 9' ceiling.  In rooms with ceilings over 9', bunk beds or lofts may not exceed 7' in height.
  • In a room with more than one loft, no more than two lofts may be attached to each other to increase   structural integrity.  Lofts may NOT be attached for the purpose of adding a second room level.
  • Lofts must be located and constructed in such a way that they do not interfere with  access to windows, air conditioning, heating or plumbing units, smoke detectors or other  items requiring periodic  maintenance and do not interfere with or obstruct  egress from the room in case of  emergency.
  • Attached room fixtures (ceiling tiles, lights, electrical outlets or switches, air conditioning/heating covers, smoke detectors, shades, etc.) must not be removed or relocated as a result of loft construction, use or disassembly.
  • A ladder or slatted bed ends must be attached to the loft and should be used for mounting and dismounting the loft.

4. Residents of the room assume responsibility for any damages resulting from any cutting, sawing, painting or staining done in the residence halls.

5. University beds, mattresses, desks, dressers, chairs, wardrobes etc. must not be removed from the room.

6. Lofts must be completely dismantled and removed from the room when the occupants vacate the room, either by changing rooms during the year or upon final check-out at the end of the fall or spring semester. At that time, the room should conform to the original room condition with all furniture assembled as it was upon check-in. Failure to dismantle and remove all materials or re-assemble university furnishings will result in assessment of labor and replacement costs to residents of the room.

7.In the case of a mid-semester or mid-year check-out or room change, lofts belonging to the departing resident of a room may be left standing only if the new occupant of the room agrees to accept the loft.

8. Lofts are subject to inspection by the staff from Facilities Management for compliance with the aforementioned guidelines. Residents whose lofts do not meet these guidelines will be required to modify or replace their loft.

9. Rented and pre-assembled bed lofts must meet all requirements listed above.

Non-Discrimination Clause

Residence Life adheres to William & Mary's non-discrimination clause

Painting Rooms

Student rooms are painted in an off-white color on a rotating schedule.  Students may not paint their rooms in any other color, or add murals or border designs to their room walls or ceilings.  Students who wish to touch up their walls may pick up the approved off-white, semi-gloss latex paint from Residence Life, 212 Campus Center.  Residents must provide their own brushes, rollers, drop cloths, etc.

Posting Policy

Students and guests must adhere to the university Posting on Campus policies.  http://www.wm.edu/offices/studentleadershipdevelopment/policies/posting/index.php

Quiet Hours

Under the policy of Self-Determination, quiet hours are determined by each community and approved by the Community Council.

Registering Events in Residential Areas
Students or recognized student groups who are interested in hosting large scale non-alcoholic events in or adjacent to campus residence halls must do the following.

  1. Obtain an Event Registration Form from Student Leadership Development, Campus Center 203.
  2. Have the Area Director sign to approve the Event Registration Form and discuss proper procedures related to reserving space in and around campus residence halls.
  3. Return the signed Event Registration Form to Student Leadership Development at least one week prior to the event.
  4. Forms for approved events must be picked up and displayed at the event or the event is considered “unauthorized”.
  5. Refer to the campus Alcohol Policy for information on registering events with alcohol. 


Shared Living Expectations: The shared living expectations document serves as the foundation for residents beginning to develop shared expectations about their living space and negotiate areas of concern on a small scale. Residents who engage in these conversations can mitigate difficulties by discussing potential concerns and negotiating space expectations before they develop into conflicts. Discussing shared living expectations will prompt roommates to think about many common issues that develop when sharing space. This document is a useful tool to develop a clear understanding that balances each resident’s needs and wants. Once completed each roommate keeps a copy. 

Roommate Conflict/Mediation

When conflicts arise, Residence Life urges roommates to try to resolve the conflict themselves through open, respectful direct communication.  In a situation where that does not work Residence Life can help mediate conflicts.   While strongly encouraged, Residence Life does not require roommates to participate in roommate mediations.  There must be willingness from both roommates for a mediation to be successful. 

If a conflict does occur between roommates they have several options that can be explored:
1) discuss the concern directly with the roommate(s),
2) request a mediation with the RA or another member of the Residence Life staff or
3) request a room change at Residence Life, 212 Campus Center.

On extremely rare occasions when the current living situation is deemed unhealthy for the residents and the residence hall community and mediation has not be successful or is not an option for both roommate and neither resident is willing to consider a room change, both residents may be required to change rooms.  


The University’s dedication to liberal education is reflected in Residence Life’s self-determination policy and serves as the foundation for the Residence Life program at William & Mary. It is imperative that staff members have a solid understanding of the history and the policy, and how it is implemented on a daily basis. Residence Life staff members are responsible for educating their residents about the principles and for serving as role models in its implementation.

Guidelines, Principles, and Assumptions

Guidelines: Self-determination rests on two basic beliefs:

  1. Within the parameters of civil and university regulations, you should have the opportunity to cooperatively determine your environment, and
  2. You are mature and capable of managing the responsibilities accompanying this opportunity, which includes confronting someone who is violating your rights, being accountable for your behavior, and recognizing the compromises inherent in living with other people

Principles: Each residential area is viewed as a living-learning center with the goal of enriching each resident’s educational experience. The residents in each area, with the guidance of the Residence Life staff, develop guidelines and procedures of governance for living that allows for both individual freedom and the privacy and personal rights of community members.

Shared living expectations conversations, community agreements, and Community Councils are the primary mediums through which residents exercise self-governance. Roommates develop expectations that guide the use of their room space. Hall communities develop community agreements that establish the standards and expectations that residents agree to abide by and enforce. Community Councils are the bodies that govern a building or area.

Assumptions: Self-determination operates optimally when these assumptions are adhered to:

  • Students at William & Mary, as adult members of the community, can make decisions, individually and collectively, that affect their daily lives.
  • Residents are provided the opportunity to make decisions within a framework of general philosophy is a valid and practical educational experience permitting students to participate in the process of self-governance.
  • Residence Community Councils grow and develop into mature governing bodies capable of leading their residences by establishing guidelines for community living that:
    • Ensures the rights of privacy and freedom of movement of each resident of the hall,
    • Are consistent with the established system of security for the hall,
    • Ensures that each visitor to a residence hall is a welcome guest of a resident, and
    • Develops policies and procedures that are fully compatible with the academic objectives of a residential educational community.

Community Agreements
The community agreement is a “living” document that can and should be refined as determined by community members. Residents in a particular community create standards and expectations through their community agreement that identifies how respect for self and others will be established. The process of negotiating, documenting, and renegotiating the agreement begins at the first hall meeting and continues throughout the year. For example, a community may be very socially oriented during the opening weeks of the academic year, but after the first round of exams, the community may decide to adjust the balance between studies and fun. This ongoing process provides the community with opportunities to redefine their expectations as they evolve.


  • All residents of a floor/living area are expected to participate in the development of the community agreement and sign the completed agreement. The community agreement may be amended at any time. Any resident of a living area may call a meeting to discuss modification. Amended community agreements will be distributed as stated below.
  • A copy of each community agreement shall be posted in the living area and an electronic copy kept on file in Residence Life. One copy will be distributed or emailed to each resident. Electronic copies are to be sent to the Area Director and the Council advisor.
  • Residents are expected to maintain the condition of the facility and safety of its occupants. Residents will refrain from the willful destruction or damage to property in and of the residence hall. The standards adopted by the Hall Council and through individual community agreements must be compatible with university and Residence Life polices, and State and Federal laws.

Negotiable's: Minimally the community agreement will address:

  • Issues of common area use and cleanliness (lounges, study rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, laundry rooms, etc.)
  • Expectations for reasonable quiet including appropriate hours and what are acceptable noise levels
  • Acceptable and unacceptable behaviors that may infringe on the rights of other residents
  • Assurance of reasonable levels of safety and security
  • The of visitation of guests
  • The process for resolution of problems associated with community agreement standards
  • Use of community funds
  • Any other topics that are of concern to residents.



Community councils are the resident-elected governing bodies that exist in each of the residential areas. The Councils support the policy of self-determination and oversee the community agreements, recommend hall improvements, provide advice on policy issues, plan community development initiatives. Hall Directors, the Complex Director, and Head Residents serve as the primary advisors working in conjunction with the Area Director. RAs and GRAs are to assume an active role in supporting the development and ongoing initiatives of the Council and are to attend meetings regularly.


Composition and Organization: After the first week of classes, but no later than the end of the second week of the academic session, each residence hall or complex shall elect a Council that is representative of the community. Some Councils will choose a formal structure that includes an executive board and representatives from each community while others will determine another structure that ensures representation of the residents in the community. Each hall will elect two representative to RHA (Residence Hall Association).

The constitution from the previous year will remain in effect until a new constitution is ratified. After elections of all members, each Council shall:

  • ratify the old constitution, rules, and guidance or develop a new constitution, rules or guidelines;
  • determine how frequently meetings will be held;
  • establish meeting attendance expectations;
  • institute the specifications of how many members constitute a quorum;
  • determine the voting percentage required to pass resolutions; and
  • decide how to manage the replacement of leadership who resign or discontinue attending.

Any member of the Council shall be subject to recall proceedings in accordance with the individual council constitution.

Governance Function of the Council: Exercising the principles of self-determination, the Council has the responsibility to determine rules and guidelines governing common areas both for residents and for outside groups requesting to use residence hall space. The Council has the responsibility to outline clear consequences for failure to abide by established rules and regulations. Until the elected Council is functioning at the beginning of the fall semester, rules and guidelines developed during the previous academic year will be in effect. Residence Life staff will be responsible for making those policies known.

  • No rule or guideline may be established which is inconsistent with or contrary to the rules, regulations, and policies of W&M. Rules may be established that are more stringent than the general provisions of the university (e.g. individual residence halls may elect to restrict access to their residences at an earlier hour than required by the security provisions noted in the Housing Contract and guide and to allow access at a later time should the residents’ desire.). In addition, the Council may permit the residents of a floor or section of a residence hall to elect hours of access, visitation, or to establish other regulations more restrictive than those employed by the remainder of the residence hall.
  • All rules and regulations established by the Council must be approved according to the provisions stated in the representative constitution.
  • Any rule or guideline shall be subject to a referendum according to the provisions stated in the representative constitution.
  • All rules and guidelines established by the Council will be reviewed by Residence Life staff. Copies of all rules and guidelines shall be distributed to residents, posted in the residence hall and also be on files in Residence Life.
  • The Council has the responsibility to investigate damages to common property, furniture and fixtures, to determine culpability, to assess charges to the responsible parties, and to collect from residents are designate Council funds for repair or replacement of damaged property. The Council has the authority to levy charges against users of area property, equipment or furnishings for damage to or misuse of same.
  • In the event that conditions outlined in community agreements within a residence appear to be in conflict, the Council shall serve as mediator. Representatives of the area in conflict shall bring their grievances to the Council for resolution by the voting members of the Council.
  • In the event a resident fails to follow established guidelines of an individual community agreement, the Council has the authority to levy charges against the responsible party.

Community Development Function: The Council has the obligation and responsibility for organizing community development initiatives for the residence hall community according to the individual and community interests. The Councils has the right to appoint the committees necessary to accomplish this function and has the right to establish dues, organizing fundraising, and receive contributions as a means of support of its community development initiatives.

Recommendations for Physical Improvements: The Council has the responsibility to represent the residents of the area in matters which pertain to needed and desired physical improvements in the residence. The Council my designate funds for the purchase and/or refurbishing of furniture, recreational equipment, and other items based on residents’ needs and interests. The Council has the authority to establish policies regulating the use of such furniture and equipment.


Special Housing Options


Adaptive Housing
Students who have need for special accommodations related to gender identity, religious need or recovery from substance abuse may apply to Residence Life through the Adaptive Housing Policy.

Africana House 
Africana House promotes awareness of Africa and provides an informal setting where students are introduced to African history, cultures, and current events.  For more information contact Chinua Thelwell at cathelwell@wm.edu  

Colonial Williamsburg House
The university and Colonial Williamsburg have collaborated to offer a housing option for two rising juniors and/or seniors in the Historic Area each year.  The house currently leased is called the William Randolph Lodging and is located at 406 E. Nicholson Street – just one block over from Duke of Gloucester Street.

Disability Accommodations in Housing
Students needing housing accommodations due to a disability must request an accommodation online from Student Accessibility Services.

Flexible Housing
Flexible Housing is an option in which two, three, four or six upper-class or graduate students elect to share an apartment or two-room suite regardless of sex, gender, or gender expression.  Specific locations for groups determined by size will be identified prior to the 2019-2020 Room Selection process. Flexible Housing for graduate students will be in two, three or four bedroom apartments at the Graduate Complex. Flexible Housing is also available in the Living Learning Communities (see Africana House, Language Houses, and Mosaic House).
Flexible Housing is completely optional and all students entering into a Flexible Housing apartment option must carefully read and understand the expectations listed below.  Flexible Housing is not intended for and is highly discouraged for romantic couples.  However, students will not be asked for their reasoning for requesting Flexible Housing.
Flexible Housing for freshmen is offered on a limited bases.  Locations for freshmen are limited to double and triple rooms in residence halls in which single use bathrooms are available.

Fraternity/Sorority Housing
The university offers housing to a number of fraternities and sororities.   For more information about fraternity and sorority housing, contact the Area Director assigned to Fraternity and Sorority housing. 

Graduate Housing
The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Graduate Complex, conveniently located next to the Law School, features single occupancy housing in two, three and four bedroom apartments that are specifically designed and constructed for graduate students.  Each occupant of the apartment has his/her own bedroom and shares the common areas, which include a kitchen, living room and bathroom.

Language Houses
Language Houses provide opportunities for residents to speak foreign languages and to learn about other cultures.  The Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, Japanese, and Russian Houses each admit approximately 20 students.  Each House is staffed by a native-speaking Resident Tutor who functions as a resource for students to enhance both the proficiency in the host language, as well as their knowledge of culture.  For more information about applying to a Language House, contact the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at (757) 221-3634.

Monroe Scholars
Freshman students who have been selected as Monroe Scholars may elect to live in designated Monroe Scholar housing in Monroe and Taliaferro Halls.

Mosaic House
Mosaic House provides students with a living center that encourages and supports serious dialogue about cultural and social difference.  For more information contact Tom Linneman at tjlinn@wm.edu

Sharpe Community Scholars
The Sharpe Community Partnership Program is a freshman residential initiative that extends William & Mary’s long‑held tradition of public and community service. Nurturing both responsible citizenship and energetic involvement in the community is part of the university’s mission.  In the spirit of our mission and traditions, students who participate will live in the Sharpe program residence, enroll in program‑sponsored seminars, take part in public forums and work together on community projects as a way of encouraging freshmen to explore issues in our national life and become directly involved in these issues through public service. For more information about applying to the Sharpe Program, contact the Charles Center at (757) 221-2495 or sharpe@wm.edu.

Alcohol is not permitted in individual rooms in freshman residence halls unless one of the residents is at least 21 years of age and the alcohol belongs to that resident.  Further, alcohol is not permitted in the common areas of freshman residences nor may functions with alcohol be scheduled in freshman residence halls.  Additionally, the university offers a section in campus housing as a substance-free floor for upper-class students.
Residents who live in substance-free housing and their guests agree to refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages at any time they are physically present on the floor, including in private residence rooms.  If a resident or their guest violates this provision, the resident will receive one written warning issued by the Area Director.  A second violation will result in the resident being reassigned to another space on campus as determined by Residence Life. Any such reassignment does not release the resident from the Housing Contract.

Resources and Information


Since few of the residence hall rooms are carpeted, students may consider bringing a room size carpet from home.  Carpet remnants are also available at local stores.  Currently Richmond Hall, One Tribe Place, and Graduate Complex bedrooms are the only locations with carpeting in student rooms.

ID Cards

ID cards are prepared for each entering student by Tribe Card Services (169 Campus Center, (757) 221-2105).  Student ID cards provide access to the residence halls equipped with ID card readers. Academic and administrative building access is maintained by Tribe Card Services.  In addition, the student ID card provides access to meals, vending machines, Swem Library, Campus Recreation Center, Student Health Center, and the W&M Express Account.  Lost or stolen IDs must be reported immediately to Tribe Card Services during normal business hours or to the William & Mary Police (757) 221-4596 after 5 p.m. or on the weekends.

Information Technology

  • Telephones -   Students living in William & Mary residence halls who wish to have landline phone service in their rooms will need to request the service, pay a small activation fee, and provide their own telephone.  All resident students will be able to make local calls from the landline phones available in the hallways or living rooms of on campus residences. Long distance calling is available through the use of an authorization code which may be obtained from the Information Technology Office (1-HELP). A voice mailbox and instructions for use are provided by Information Technology to each resident who has requested phone service at the IT home page
  • Cable TV - Cable television access is available in all university residence halls.
  • Internet Access - Each residence room has a high speed data network that allows students to access university resources, the library's on-line card catalog, e-mail, and the Internet.  Wireless connections are available in the residence halls.


Most buildings are equipped with kitchens.  Residents are free to use the kitchen facilities but must clean up after themselves.  Specific policies regarding kitchen use/cleanliness can be addressed in Community Agreements.


Most of the residences are equipped with coin operated and/or ID card access washers and dryers. The laundry facilities are under the auspices of Residence Life and are currently contracted to an outside vendor.  Problems with machine malfunction can be reported by phone (1-800-927-9274), e-mail service@caldwellandgregory.com  or on the web. The university is not liable for any damage or loss caused by the washers or dryers.   Please note that high efficiency front loading washers are used in the residence halls.  Manufacturer’s guidelines recommend liquid detergent instead of powered detergent.  Detergent ‘cakes’ should not be used in these machines. Machines can be operated via W&M Express from your ID card or coins. Cost is $1.50 per wash or dry cycle.


Questions or information regarding meal plans should be directed to Dining Services at (757) 221-7856 or via the Dining Services website.


  • Motorcycles and other motorized vehicles are not permitted in the residence halls.
  • Eligibility for parking decals is determined by Parking Services, visit their web site for more information.
  • Parking off campus is by City of Williamsburg permit only. 
  • Medically necessary exceptions to the parking policy are handled by the Dean of Students (109 Campus Center, (757) 221-2510).

 For more information concerning parking contact Parking Services at (757) 221-4764 or parked@wm.edu

Postal Service/Mail

All residential students are provided a mailbox (CSU) in the campus post office or the Graduate Complex.  Postal Services has a Student Services window for delivery of USPS/FedEx/DHL/UPS and other express mail parcels to provide students with a contact point for any questions.  Visit the Postal Services web page for hours of operation and more information.


Recycling receptacles are available in each residence hall room.  Residents are responsible for removing their recyclable materials to one of the dumpster's labeled for recycling only.


The Williamsburg Area Transport (WAT) provides bus services for William & Mary and the surrounding area.  The campus bus system is designated the Green Line, with a bus dedicated to providing daily transportation throughout the campus for students, faculty and staff in a circuit loop every 30 minutes.   Riding any of the bus lines serviced by WAT is free of charge with your William & Mary ID.  For more information, contact Transportation Services at (757) 259-4093 or visit their web page.


Vending Machines

Vending machines are located in many residence hall areas. The vending machines will accept both coins and the W&M Express account (ID card).  For questions about refunds, contact Tribe Card Services at (757) 221-2105.