2013-14 Housing Contract & Guide

Residence Life | Housing Contract Terms and Conditions | Policies | Special Housing Options | Other Information

Download the Housing Contract (pdf)

The College reserves the right to make reasonable modifications to this contract to insure safety or protection of property, provided reasonable advance notice is given.



Residence Life Mission

Residence Life at the College of William and Mary seeks to provide a safe and secure living community that complements the mission of the College and contributes to individual development.

Return to Top

Residence Life

Residence Life has overall responsibility for the management of all student residences. It has budgetary responsibility for each of the halls, as well as their condition and upkeep. The central office staff of Residence Life includes the Associate Vice President/Director of Residence Life, two  Associate Directors, Director of Housing Operations, two Assistant Directors, six Area Directors, and four administrative staff, two Recycling Workers  and one Building Support Worker. The office employs both graduate and undergraduate students in various positions within the residence halls. In addition, Residence Life is responsible for funding various maintenance and postal personnel.

Return to Top

Residence Life Staff

The Associate Vice President for Student Affairs (Campus Living)/Director of Residence Life oversees all functions of Residence Life. The Associate VP is responsible for the direction, coordination and management of all aspects of the residence life program, including long-term facilities and financial planning pertaining to the residence hall community.

The Director of Housing Operations has primary responsibility for all matters concerning the physical environment of the residence halls including maintaining an inventory of all furnishings and equipment, residence hall safety and security, key control and serves as liaison to the laundry contractor and Auxiliary Services.

The Associate Director for Administration has responsibility for the room assignment process, directs the summer housing program, updates housing publications and serves as a liaison to Information Technology.

The Associate Director for Community Development provides leadership to the department's philosophy of self governance known as Self-Determination along with community development, leadership, student learning, student staffing and programmatic functions.

 The Assistant Director for Community Development coordinates the staff and functions of the Programming Resource Center, works with the Associate Director for Community Development to provide leadership to the department's philosophy of self governance known as Self-Determination along with community development, leadership, student learning, staffing and programmatic functions. 

The Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing is a live-in staff member who is responsible for the day to day management and administration of the Fraternity Complex and Sorority Court. The responsibilities of the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing include counseling, crisis intervention, referrals, programming, community develop and adjudication of student conduct cases. They also select, train, supervise and evaluate the student staff assigned to their residential area, as well as coordinate maintenance and custodial issues for their buildings.

The six Area Directors (ADs) are live-in staff who are responsible for the day to day management and administration of a specific group of buildings. The responsibilities of Area Directors include counseling, crisis intervention, referrals, programming, community development and adjudication of student conduct cases. They also select, train, supervise and evaluate the student staff assigned to their residential area, as well as coordinate maintenance and custodial issues for their buildings.

The  Administrative Support Staff oversees financial recordkeeping, damage billing, data records, personnel, payroll issues and other central office functions.

Two Recycling Workers collect recyclables from selected lounges and kitchens in the residence halls as well as service the smaller exterior collection points from across the campus in general.

One Building Support Worker takes care of minor maintenance in support of Facilities Management personnel in the fraternities and sororities.

There are graduate and undergraduate student staff members employed by Residence Life. The positions include:

The Graduate Complex Director (CD) supervises the Graduate Resident Assistants in the Graduate Complex. The Complex Director works with the Apartments Council, coordinates the duty office in the area and oversees other administrative tasks for the complex.

The Graduate Resident Assistants (GRAs) coordinate programming and administrative tasks for the group of buildings which they are assigned in the graduate apartment complex.

The graduate Hall Directors (HDs) supervise and evaluate the Resident Assistants in the building which they are assigned. They advise Hall Council, oversee administrative tasks with regard to the duty office and assist the Area Director with developmental and programming support.

The Head Residents (HRs) advise Hall Councils and coordinate duty office procedures and duty responsibilities for the Resident Assistants in their area. In addition, they assist the Area Director with developmental and programming support.

The Resident Assistants (RAs) are assigned a hall, wing, section of a building, or a cluster of apartments. They live on the hall with the residents and work to develop community within the unit. They are responsible for programming and assist the Area Director with administrative tasks as assigned to ensure a positive experience to students while residing in the residence halls.

The Program Advocates (PAs) are a team of five students who staff the Programming Resource Center. They provide expertise, ideas and materials to support the programming efforts of RAs and other Residence Life Staff, as well as Hall Council members, Residence Hall Association members and those students seeking support for campus programming initiatives.

The Housing Assistants (HAs) are a team of eight students who assist with safety and security inspections in the Fraternities and Sororities. They assist the Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Housing with administrative tasks in the Fraternity and Sorority Houses to ensure a positive living experience for the residents of the houses.

Return to Top

Residence Hall Areas

The residence halls are divided into seven residence areas: Richmond Road (includes Bryan, Camm, Dawson, Lodges, Madison, Stith, Monroe, Old Dominion, and Tribe Square), Jamestown/Botetourt (includes Jamestown North and South buildings and the Botetourt Complex (Dinwiddie, Fauquier, Gooch, Nicholson, and Spotswood ), Fraternity and Sorority Area (includes all fraternity housing and all sorority housing), Randolph/Ludwell (includes Cabell, Giles, Harrison, Page, Pleasants, Preston, Nicholas, Tazewell, and Ludwell Apartments), James Rowe (includes Barrett, Chandler, Jefferson, Landrum, and One Tribe Place), Outer Limits (includes Brown, HuntReves, Taliaferro, Graduate Complex, Yates,  and the Colonial Williamsburg House) and DuPont/Green & Gold Village (includes  DuPont, and the Green & Gold Village).

Return to Top

Duty Offices

Residence Life operates fourteen Duty Offices in seven residence areas. A staff member is on duty every night from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Duty office hours are 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday - Thursday and 7 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., Friday and Saturday nights  in undergraduate housing and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Graduate Complex. These staff members are available to answer questions, check out area equipment and do periodic rounds of the residence area. Duty Offices have spare keys, extra toilet paper and helpful information. In addition, some Hall Councils have purchased TVs, vacuum cleaners, DVD players, and games that residents can check out from the Duty Office.

During the summer session, a staff member is on duty every night from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. and available in the Duty Office from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Return to Top

Opportunities for Events and Activities

Residence hall staffs plan activities and events in the halls throughout the year to foster social and educational development. These activities are supplemented by the events and activities of individual Hall Councils and the Residence Hall Association (RHA).

Return to Top

Residence Hall Councils

Residence Hall Councils are student-run governing bodies in each of the residence halls/areas. Hall/Apartment Councils help plan educational and social activities, recommend hall improvements, advise on policy issues, administer Self-Determination, and oversee Community Agreements. Hall Councils are a great way for students to meet each other and develop leadership skills.

Hall Council Dues

Each Hall Council requests dues from each resident at check-in. Although these dues are not mandatory, the money is used for activities, study breaks, and recreational equipment.

Return to Top

National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)

NRHH is the recognition branch of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls (NACURH). Chapter membership is restricted to the top 1% of residence hall leaders.

Return to Top

Residence Hall Association (RHA)

RHA is the representative governing body for all William and Mary residence hall councils. This group offers opportunities for leadership across the state, region and nation. (757) 221-1950

Return to Top

Room Selection Process

While freshmen are required to live on campus, housing beyond the freshman year is neither required nor guaranteed. Each spring, returning students who plan to live on campus must pay a $200 non-refundable deposit in order to be eligible to participate in the annual Room Selection Process. Details regarding this process are available from any Residence Life staff member and are accessible on the Residence Life web site each spring.

2013-2014 Housing Contract Terms and Conditions

The student's signature on ore electronic acceptance of the Residence Life Housing Agreement indicates that the student agrees to and accepts the following terms and conditions:

This is a legally binding contract for a full academic year or 11 1/2 month for Tribe Square and is specific to the room indicated on the Residence Hall Housing Agreement. Prior to occupancy, an Agreement must be signed and dated or electronically accepted,  as evidence of acceptance of the terms, conditions and regulations which are stated in this Contract. At the time of occupancy, if the student is not 18 years old, a parent or legal guardian of the student will be required to cosign the Agreement. When a student properly changes rooms, this contract is transferred to the new space. Failure to pick up a key does NOT release the student from this Contract.

College Regulations

The resident will abide by the regulations of the College set forth in the current edition of the Student Handbook, the regulations set forth in the Housing Contract and Resource Guide and by the regulations established by the Residence Hall Council of the building in which he/she resides. This includes provisions outlined in the Community Agreements established on each living unit. The provisions of this Housing Contract may only be waived or modified in writing by the Associate Vice President/Director of Residence Life.

The Vice President for Student Affairs, Dean of StudentsAssociate Vice President/Director of Residence Life, Associate Directors, Director of Housing Operations, Assistant Directors of Residence Life, Area Directors, and the staff of residences (Complex Director, Head Residents, Hall Directors, Resident Assistants, Graduate Resident Assistants, Housing Assistants and Program Advocates) are responsible for enforcing regulations as outlined in the current edition of the Student Handbook  and Use of Campus Facilities Policy.

It is expressly understood that violation of policies in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy, Residence Life Resource Guide or of the terms of this Housing Contract by the resident may result in penalties ranging from a warning to the resident being discharged from the College's residence halls to permanent dismissal from the College. The College is under no obligation to house a resident whose Contract has been previously terminated due to a failure to abide by the conditions of this Contract.

Where appropriate for the personal safety of the resident(s) and by adherence to the College judicial process, the College reserves the right to remove a student from his/her residence hall. Students removed from the residence halls for violations of the Contract will still be held to the financial obligations for the Contract period (fall and spring). In addition, the College may exclude a student from the residences to protect the public health or the health of the student under the policy and procedure outlined in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy.

Inapplicability of Virginia Landlord Tenant Law and the "Virginia Residential Landlord & Tenant Act"

This Contract sets for the terms and conditions under which the College of William and Mary will grant the Student the ability to occupy a space in student housing incidential to the College's provision of academic services to the Student. It is not a lease. Therefore, in accordance with Virginia Landlord & Tenant laws, this Agreement is enterend into by the College and the Student in full acknowledgement that public and private higher education housing institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia (such as William and Mary) with residential on-campus student housing assigments are not bound by the Virginia Landlord and Tenant Laws. Among other things, the University is not obligated to follow civil court proceedings related to removal of the Student and the Student's property from the on-campus student housing assignment, but may automatically remove the Student and the Student's property from on-campus housing if the University determines that this Contract has been violated or the Student otherwise does not qualify for student housing.

Return to Top

Checking into a Room
Room Key

Each resident will receive a room key and, where applicable, a front door key or the combination to an entry door lock. I.D. card readers are available on most other residence hall. Residents will sign a check-in key envelope indicating that they have obtained their key(s). Residents may not change or add locks (including chain locks, deadbolts, etc.). Duplication of room keys is prohibited.

Room Condition

Residence Life staff members conduct pre-occupancy readiness inspections of all resident rooms prior to check-in. In addition, residents will get an opportunity to submit information about the condition of their room via an on-line form. This form must be completed within two weeks of check in. After two weeks the resident may be held financially responsible for damages or the loss to the assigned space.

Early Check-In

Residents must abide by the appointed schedule for arrival. Early arrivals will be limited to those student leaders and groups designated essential to university activities in advance of the official opening. Individual residents who are approved by Residence Life to arrive early will be assessed an additional charge which will be charged to their student account. All early arrivals must abide by all uiversity rules, regulations and policies.

Return to Top
Checking out of a Room

Residents who change rooms, withdraw or otherwise leave university housing must return their key(s) to a Residence Life staff member or the Residence Life office within 48 hours. If a key is lost or not returned by the stated deadline, a $40 charge per key will be assessed. Unauthorized copies of keys will not be accepted. At final check-out, keys must be received by the Area Director by noon on the day following Commencement.

Late Check-Out

Non-graduating residents who are approved by Residence Life to remain beyond the stated deadline will be billed an additional charge.

Withdrawals/Room Changes During the Semester

Should the resident change rooms, withdraw or be separated from the university or its residences for any reason, the resident will remove all personal belongings from the College premises, vacate the residence and return key(s) within 48 hours. All residents are provided with an opportunity to meet with a Residence Life staff member once they have moved all of their belongings from their room. The staff member may collect the room key and evaluate the condition of the room, noting any damages, missing items or cleaning concerns. Residents who fail to check out with a Residence Life staff member are subject to charges for any or all damages/loss to the room. Exceptions to the 48-hour provision may be authorized for good cause by Residence Life.

Withdrawals at the End of the Fall Semester

Students who will not continue to live in the same room during the spring semester are required to remove all their belongings from their room at the end of the fall semester. The resident will be provided with an opportunity to meet with a Residence Life staff member who will collect the room key and evaluate the condition of the room and note any damages, missing items or cleaning concerns.

Abandoned Property

The university will not be responsible for damage or loss of any personal property not removed within 48 hours after a student withdraws, separates from the university or after the residence halls close in the spring. A room-cleaning charge will be assessed against any student who fails to remove his/her items of personal property within 48 hours of withdrawal or separation. Personal property left in hallways, stairwells and lounges will be considered abandoned property and will be discarded.

Return to Top

Contract Period

The term of this Contract is for both Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 semesters until 48 hours after completion of a resident's last regularly scheduled exam for non-graduating students and noon on the day following Commencement in May for graduating students. The Housing Contract for residents of Tribe Square covers 11 1/2 months, consisting of summer 2013, fall 2013 and spring 2014 and ends at noon on the day following Commencement in May for students who have not contracted to live in Tribe Square for the next academic year.

Cancellation Policy

Students who select housing either through a manual process or an on-line process have 24-hours from the time of their selection or acceptance of housing to cancel their housing assignment without penalty. Cancelling a housing selection during any part of the Room Selection Process removes the student from the Room Selection Process for that year. The cancellation policy does not apply to members of a Fraternity or Sorority organization who have committed to their chapter houses, and it does not apply to freshman housing assignments. After the 24-hour cancellation period and prior to August 1 the following cancellation schedule and fees apply:

  1. Prior to April 30: If a request for cancellation is received on or before this date the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and student is  charged a $100 cancellation fee.
  2. May 1 to May 31: If a request for cancellation is received on or before this date the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and student is  charged a $250 cancellation fee.
  3. June 1 to June 30: If a request for cancellation is received on or before this date the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and student is  charged a $400 cancellation fee.
  4. July 1 to July 31: If a request for cancellation is received on or before this date the student may cancel their contract but the $200 room reservation deposit is forfeited and student is charged a $500 cancellation fee.

Cancellation requests should be emailed from the student's William and Mary email account to [[living]] and include student name, student ID number, space selected and a statement requesting cancellation.

Beginning August 1 students seeking to be released from their on-campus housing contract must petition the Contract Release Committee. A release may be granted only to students who can demonstrate through the written petition and supporting documentation that their situation is extraordinary and cannot be resolved in campus housing. Petitions are considered on a case by case basis and release is not guaranteed.

Release from Housing Contract

The Housing Contract covers an entire academic year (fall and spring semesters) and cannot be broken midyear. The Housing Contract for residents of Tribe Square covers 11 1/2 months, consisting of summer, fall and spring. If a student enrolls at the College but does not occupy the assigned room, he/she must still pay for the room for the entire academic year. Failure to pick up a room key does not release a currently enrolled student from this contract. A student will only be released from his/her Housing Contract for the following reasons: If he/she:

  1. gets married (a copy of the current marriage certificate is required for verification);
  2. is accepted in a William and Mary approved Domestic or Study Abroad program;
  3. is academically dismissed;
  4. is required to withdraw due to medical reasons;
  5. transfers to another institution (copy of acceptance letter to the institution required for verification);
  6. completes and pays the cancellation fee as noted above; or
  7. is released by the Contract Release Committee.

Refunds will follow the policies set forth in the Undergraduate Program Catalog and may include forfeiture of the Room Reservation Deposit.

Contract Release Committee

Upperclass and Graduate students with extraordinary circumstances may seek to be released from their Housing Contract by appealing in writing to the Contract Release Committee. In and of itself the following reasons do not constitute "extraordinary circumstances": delay in receiving housing due to wait list status, failure to read and understand that the housing contract is "binding", displeasure with housing assignment or roommate assignment, or signing a lease or purchasing a home off-campus. Students are strongly encouraged to gain contract release approval prior to making any commitments off-campus. Documentation must be received in the Residence Life office in care of the Contract Release Committee. This Committee will review the written documentation and notify the student by phone and/or e-mail of the Committee's decision. The Committee will review petitions during the first and third weeks of each month and the decision of the Committee is final. Freshmen seeking a change to their on-campus housing requirement must contact the Dean of Students in writing.

Temporary Housing

The College reserves the right to assign incoming freshmen to temporary accommodations in the event that regular room assignments are not available. Freshmen assigned to temporary assignments will be relocated and required to move to a permanent space as rooms become available.

Special Interest House Allocation

In the event a group loses its Special Interest House allocation, Residence Life reserves the right to reassign individuals to alternative spaces. If loss of Special Interest Housing for the succeeding year occurs after individual Housing Contracts are signed but prior to the annual room selection process, the individual Housing Contract will be canceled so that students will have the option of selecting a room in the room selection.

Return to Top

Damage/Loss Charges
Room Damage/Loss

The resident (and roommate(s) where assigned) is responsible for damages to his/her room, as well as damage and/or loss to the furnishings and fixtures the College has provided. The resident agrees to pay for the restoration of the property to its condition at the time of occupancy or for repairs or replacement (except normal wear and tear), unless the identity of others responsible for the damage or loss is established and proven by the resident(s). Resident(s) are responsible for any damage or loss to the premises caused by their guests. This responsibility extends until the resident is officially checked out by a Residence Life staff member. Charges for damages, cleaning, replacement of furniture, etc. shall be divided by the number of students assigned to the room. If one or more roommates assume responsibility for damages, cleaning, replacement of furniture, etc., a written statement signed by the responsible party must be noted on the Undergraduate Closing Agreement or the Graduate Complex Closing Agreement, which has been signed by all of the room's residents and submitted to the Area Director/Assistant Director for Fraternity/Sorority Housing  indicating who specifically should be charged. Charges will not be assessed to one roommate based solely on another roommate's claim of wrongdoing. Students should assure that all windows and doors to the room are locked and secured before their final departure at check-out.

Common Area Damage/Loss

It is understood that the residents are responsible for any damage or loss caused or non-routine cleaning or trash removal required to the common areas of the residence halls and their furnishings, including vending machines and other equipment placed in the residence halls as a convenience to the residents. Common areas include corridors, recreation rooms, kitchens, study rooms, living rooms, laundry rooms, common baths and lounges. When damage occurs, the student(s) will be billed directly for the repairs. Individual Hall Councils have the authority (along with Residence Life Staff) to assess and assign charges for these damages. Common Area Charges that are assigned by the Hall/Apartments Councils will be collected directly by Hall/Apartments Council representatives prior to the end of the semester. Residents are expected to provide payment to the Hall/Apartments Council representative. If at the end of the year charges assigned by the Hall/Apartments Council have not been paid, Residence Life will bill the student directly with the addition of a $15 administrative charge. Damages may also result in College judicial action. Those students who are responsible for vandalism or theft may be removed from and/or denied future housing in College residence halls.

Procedures for Appealing Damage Charges

In the event the resident wishes to contest the charges for damages or loss, the following procedure is prescribed:

  1. Contact in writing the Area Director for the building in which the alleged damage occurred. For Hall/Apartment Council levied damage billing; appeals may be heard by the Hall/Apartments Council or the Hall/Apartments Council's designates prior to the last day of classes in the spring semester. After the last day of classes in the spring semester the Area Director will hear appeals.
  2. If the matter is still unresolved, contact in writing the Director of Housing Operations.
  3. Appeals will be heard by the Appeals Board consisting of three representatives from the Residence Hall Association (RHA). The decision of the Appeals Board is final.
  4. Charges must be appealed in writing within 30 days of the date of the bill. Bills received during the summer must be appealed in writing before the end of the first full week of fall classes.

Return to Top


Only registered and currently enrolled William and Mary students, including research graduates, are eligible to reside in College housing.

All freshmen students are required to live in College housing. Freshmen student status as defined by this policy is first-time, full-time college student status for two semesters (i.e., no full-time college experience after high school).

Exceptions to the freshmen residency requirement may be made for:

  1. freshmen who commute daily within a 30-mile radius from the homes of their parents or legal guardians;
  2. freshmen who are 21 years of age or older; or
  3. married freshmen.

Freshmen who transfer to William and Mary before completing two full-time semesters at another college or university will be eligible to reside in campus housing, provided they have been admitted and a housing application is received in Residence Life by the first week in May for the fall semester and the first week in December for the spring semester.

The movement of a first year student assigned to a first year student residence to an upper-level residence or off-campus is not permitted. The same policy applies to upper-level students requesting a move to first year student buildings.

Part-time and unclassified students may apply for housing but will only be offered a space after all full-time degree seeking students have been accommodated. Students currently residing in campus housing who are approved to drop to part-time status will not be required to leave campus housing.

Return to Top

Emergency Evacuation Plans

All students in campus housing are required to have an emergency evacuation plan on file with the university prior to the first day of classes. Failure to submit a plan will result in a referral to the Office of Student Conduct.

In the event the College determines evacuation of the residence halls is necessary all students in housing will be required to vacate their rooms and will not be allowed to return until the College officially opens. This includes residents of Tribe Square and the Graduate Complex.

Return to Top


Residents must take care in keeping their own rooms and common areas clean to prevent insect infestation. The College is under contract with an exterminator to respond to specific insect and pest problems. This service must be requested through the Facilities Management work order request system by the resident(s).

Return to Top

Facilities Management

The following  services are provided by Facilities Management and can be accessed by calling 757-221-2270, through the on-line work order system or by working with a member of the Residence Life staff.

Custodial Services, Recycling and Trash Removal

Custodial Services staff are responsible for routine cleaning of common areas, such as hallways, stairwells, common bathrooms and lounges. Hallways and stairwells must be kept free of personal belongings that could impede the ability of Custodial Services staff  to maintain these areas. No custodial services are provided for apartments, Lodges or suite/private bathrooms. Students are expected to maintain their rooms in an orderly and sanitary condition. This includes removal of personal trash (ex: trash bags, pizza boxes, etc.) to a College dumpster and recycling to College approved recycling areas. Residents may be charged a fee for the removal of personal trash from common areas. 


While the College will be responsible for the routine maintenance, the resident is responsible for reporting maintenance concerns. The College will provide electrical power, heat and water and maintain these utilities under controllable conditions. Residents must understand that, as a condition of this Contract, the College shall not be responsible or liable for any damage or loss to his/ her personal property while on the premises caused by the cessation or failure of such utilities, no matter the reason. Moreover, the College will not be in breach of this Contract if such utility service is suspended for any reason; provided, if the premises are rendered unsafe or unfit for occupancy, the College will offer alternate housing if it is available on campus or provide a prorated refund of the unused portion of the rent in accordance with the schedule printed in the College Catalog.


Requests for repairs should be filed by the resident on the Facilities Management web site. If the repair is not made within a reasonable amount of time, a second request should be submitted by the resident. If the repair is still not made, the Area Director/Assistant Director for Fraternity Sorority Housing should be notified of the situation and given the opportunity to resolve the problem.

Emergency Repairs

The Emergency Call Center (757-221-2270) operates Monday through Friday, 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays. Routine facilities issues should be reported through the on-line request form.

Rent Rebates

If after a reasonable amount of time repairs are not made or sufficient reason for the delay provided, the resident may appeal to the Director of Housing Operations for a rent rebate or other solution. Rebates are granted only in cases where the College has remained unresponsive and the condition of the premises is such that reasonable occupancy and use there of is precluded. The decision of the Director of Housing Operations concerning whether a rebate is granted may be appealed to the Residence Hall Association (RHA) Appeals Board. Once a rebate has been granted, the amount of the rebate may not be appealed.

Return to Top



The following is provided in each room: one bed, one extra-long twin sized mattress (typically 36"x 80" x 8"), chest of drawers, closet/wardrobe, desk and chair per student and one recycling container per room. Other furnishings will vary according to the individual residence hall. College furniture may not be removed from a resident's room or apartment and should not be switched between rooms or with lounge furniture. College furniture from student rooms and common areas may not be taken outside. In addition, window screens shall not be removed unless approved by Residence Life. Students approved for a window air conditioner by the Student Health Center will automatically have their screen removed and stored by Facilities Management.

Return to Top

Guests on the Hall

Guests are expected to abide by all rules and regulations of the College, Residence Life, and individual building's Community Agreements. The resident is responsible for the behavior of his/her guests, including restitution for damage to College facilities.

Guests in the Room

In order to have a guest(s), residents must have the consent of the roommate(s)/apartment mate(s) on each occasion. Extended visits are not permitted, nor is cohabitation (residency with someone other than the officially assigned roommate).

Return to Top

Inspections/Room Entry

Authorized personnel may enter a student room:

  1. For the purpose of assuring fire protection, life safety, sanitation or scheduled maintenance and use of the College's furnishings, fixtures and facilities. Any such inspections or entry, except in the case of emergencies, shall be announced 48 hours in advance by the posting of a notice in the residence hall or via e-mail notification. The resident's absence will not prevent the carrying out of such maintenance or safety inspections.
  2. When an occupant has requested repairs or extermination by filing a Work Order Request, authorized maintenance personnel may enter in the resident's absence for the sole purpose of making the repairs or exterminating as requested.
  3. In order to secure the buildings, Residence Life staff will enter and check all resident rooms during the Thanksgiving and semester breaks. Visible violations of College policy will result in College conduct action.
  4. If a roommate moves out of a room, a member of the Residence Life staff may enter the room following the completion of the move to inspect for damages and insure space is available for a new occupant.
  5. To verify that all vacancies are prepared for new occupants for the dpring semester. Conduct action and/or cleaning charges may be imposed on a resident if his/her room is not ready for a new occupant.
  6. If noise (unattended loud music, alarm clock, etc.) coming from a room where the occupants are not present is causing a disruption to the community.
  7. To unlock a suite bathroom door if it is reasonable to assume that suitemates will be gone overnight and/or being locked out of the bathroom creates a major inconvenience or presents a safety hazard to locked-out residents.

College policy prohibits staff members from unlocking room doors for anyone other than the occupant(s) (except in those cases outlined in the "A Statement of Rights and Responsibilities" found in the Student Handbook and Use of Campus Facilities Policy).

It is understood and agreed that a resident' s room or possessions on campus will not be searched by university authorities for violation of university rules and regulations or applicable law unless there is reasonable administrative cause to believe that a resident is using his/her room for purposes in violation of university rules or regulations, or in violation of this Contract and unless a certificate authorizing the search has been issued and signed by the Vice President of Student Affairs. The certificate shall state the source of information, the violation, the location of the search, the materials to be seized or information sought and the name(s) of the person(s) authorized to conduct the search. The foregoing does not apply to searches conducted by local or William and Mary Police. Such searches are governed by the Code of Virginia.

Return to Top


The university is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage to property resulting from fire, theft, casualty or any cause, or for personal injury occurring within the leased premises, except as may be required by Virginia law. It is strongly recommended that personal property insurance be obtained by each student.

Return to Top 

Prohibited Items in the Residence Halls

Some examples of items not permitted in the residence halls are listed here; however, this list is not necessarily all-inclusive: animals (excluding fish and service animals), non-fused extension cords, outside antennas, bread machines, candles, incense, ceiling fans, chain locks, crock pots, dead-bolt locks, explosives, firearms, fireworks, gasoline and other combustible liquids, hot pots that are not thermostatically controlled, immersion coils, incense, oil lamps, open flames, space heaters, torchiere-style (pole) halogen lamps, waterbeds and weapons. Live cut Christmas trees, as mandated by the State fire code, are not permitted in the residence halls.

Prohibited Items in Student Rooms

The following kitchen appliances are prohibited in student rooms, but may be used in residence hall kitchens: hot plates, toaster ovens, toasters, broilers, George Foreman Grills, electric skillets/woks and other portable electric cooking devices.

Prohibited Activity in Student Rooms

Residential facilities and student rooms/apartments may not be used to conduct a business.

Return to Top


The resident agrees to pay the College in advance, on a semester basis (including the summer session for Tribe Square residents), the rent established for the room which is assigned. The initial rate for the assigned space at which the resident is billed for the assigned space (except for clerical error) is guaranteed for the entire academic session unless:

  1. the occupancy level of the room changes or
  2. the resident changes to another room and the rate for the new room is different.

Then a refund or additional payment may be required. These procedures exclude graduate students living at the Graduate Complex who choose to pay by installments. Room rates will be prorated on a daily basis for students acquiring on-campus housing more than two weeks after the first day of occupancy. Room rates are not based on the presence of air-conditioning.

Return to Top

Refund/Forfeiture Policies

If the resident withdraws from College during the course of the semester, refunds of the room rent will be prorated based on the date the resident officially checks-out of the room with the required paperwork completed by a Residence Life staff member. Residents who are required to withdraw by the College because of a failure to meet obligations under the Housing Contract or for other reasons, who are removed from the residences, or who, while remaining enrolled at the College, move out of the residence halls are financially obligated for the remainder of the semester.

Return to Top

Room Changes

Residents may not move from one room to another without prior written consent from Residence Life. Violation of this requirement will result in a $25 charge (the resident will be required to move back into the original assignment) and is a violation of this Contract which may result in a referral to the Office of the Dean of Students. (See Discrimination Clause)

Room Change Dates

The room change process begins one week after the first day of classes in the fall and continues through the spring semester.

General Room Changes

Students interested in changing rooms should go to Residence Life (212 Campus Center) once the room change period begins to complete the Room Change Request Form. Changes are typically approved on a first-come, first-served basis, but may be based on the individual circumstances involved. Once a change has been granted, students should complete their move within 48 hours. Exceptions to the 48-hour provision may be authorized for good cause by the Associate Director.

Direct Room Switches

A direct switch is when two residents of the same residence hall area exchange room assignments. Area Directors may approve direct switches during the academic year. Room changes into vacant spaces or into another residence hall area must follow the General Room Change guidelines. Direct room changes (person for person) over the summer will be honored during the month of June provided that all students involved provide written or e-mail (from the student’s William and Mary account) agreement to Residence Life at [[living]] between June 1 and June 30 and there are no vacancies involved. Otherwise, requests for room changes will not be accepted until one week after the first day of classes at the beginning of the fall semester.

End of Fall Semester Room Changes

At the end of the fall semester, there are a substantial number of room changes. Individuals who change rooms must officially check-out of their old assignment before the halls close for the semester break and will be given instructions at the time they sign the room change approval paperwork.

Return to Top

Room Reservation Deposit

The $200 Room Reservation Deposit will be credited toward the fall room rent charge due to the College. Failure to pay the deposit by the stated deadline will make the student ineligible to participate in the room selection process. Please note that payment of the deposit is the responsibility of the student. Bills and reminders concerning the Room Reservation Deposit are NOT sent to parents.

Currently Enrolled Students

To request a room in a College residence for the following academic year, a currently enrolled student or a student readmitted by the Dean of Students before the deposit deadline must pay a $200 deposit by the advertised deadline date and sign or electronically accepted contract with the College at the time of assignment to a room. This $200 Room Reservation Deposit serves as the student's indication that he/she wishes to reside in College housing. It is NON‑REFUNDABLE except in the event the resident transfers (must submit copy to Residence Life Office of acceptance letter), gets married (a copy of the current marriage certificate is required for verification), is academically dropped, is selected to participate in an approved Semester Study Away program, is unable to enroll due to illness, or is temporarily wait listed from the Room Selection Process. A person who is wait listed from the Room Selection Process can take one prospective roommate with him/her to move off-campus as long as they request a refund together and apply by the stated deadline.

Residence Life MUST be notified before the first day of classes that a resident has transferred, married or will be participating in an approved Semester Study Away program. This notification is necessary to cancel the contract and refund the $200 deposit. If notification is not received by the first day of classes, the $200 deposit shall be forfeited and other charges may apply.

Transfer/Returning/New Students

Once a student has received an offer of campus housing, he/she must submit their electronic Housing Contract to secure the Housing assignment.

Return to Top

Room Responsibility

Residents are responsible for the security of their room/apartment/Lodge. Residents are encouraged to keep their room doors locked when they are away from the room or sleeping and are discouraged from leaving guests unattended in their room/apartment/Lodge. Resident will be presumed to be responsible for any violations that occur in their assigned residence space.

Return to Top

Safety and Security
General Safety
  1. The College cannot guarantee the safety and security of the premises. Residents are responsible for their personal security and that of their belongings within College facilities.
  2. Due to the risk of injury and property damage, residents are prohibited from planning and/or participating in events and activities that involve the use of water and water devices within or adjacent to campus residences, i.e. swimming pools, water balloons, water guns, or slip and slides.
  3. Computerized I.D. access or other security system is provided in the residence halls for the protection of the residents. While the College is in session, the exterior doors to the residence halls will be controlled to restrict access to residents and guests. Access to residences by non-residents may be restricted to earlier hours, if the Residence Hall Council decides, or if the College determines that this is necessary for safety and security reasons.
  4. Residents may not engage in any activity which creates a safety risk or which jeopardizes the security of the premises, including but not limited to, the propping of exterior doors and the removal of window screens.
  5. For safety reasons the roofs, porches, window ledges, unfinished attics and mechanical equipment rooms of all College buildings are restricted areas and may not be accessed.
  6. Individuals observed in the hall who are not residents or guests should be reported immediately to a Residence Life staff member or William and Mary Police.
Electrical Safety
  1. Permanent electrical circuits cannot be altered by occupants or anyone not authorized by the College.
  2. Appliances, lamps, power cords and other electrical equipment with damaged, worn, spliced, cracked, or frayed cords and plugs must be replaced.
  3. All lighting fixtures must use only light bulbs of type and wattage as recommended by the manufacturer. Lamp shades must also meet manufacturer specifications for the specific fixture.
  4. Electrical cords or other communication cables may not be installed under carpets, hung over nails or run through doorways and windows.
  5. The following are prohibited in residence hall rooms: multi-plug adapters (the type that are affixed directly to the wall outlet), cube adapters, non-fused plug strips or items such as air fresheners that include an outlet on them.
  6. Grounded relocatable power taps or "surge protector strips" with heavy duty cords and a "reset" switch will be the only allowable receptacle extensions from wall outlets. Each power tap will be connected directly into a wall receptacle and they shall not be plugged into one another.
  7. Non-fused extension cords and flexible cords are prohibited in residence hall rooms.
  8. No power cord, of any type, shall be extended through walls, ceilings or floors, or under doors or floor coverings, nor shall any cord be subject to environmental damage or physical impact.
  9. Any cord that has physical damage or splicing must immediately be removed from service and removed from residence halls.
Fire Safety
  1. OPEN FLAMES (from any source) and burning materials of any kind are absolutely prohibited in the residence halls.
  2. The integrity of all ceilings, floors and walls must remain intact and not be disturbed. Ceiling tiles are not to be removed, distrubed or broken - nor should items be stored above a drop ceiling. Also, light fixtures must have proper globe or deflector in place. Any open bulb fixtures are a fire hazard and should be reported.
  3. Additional wall coverings (i.e. paneling, wallpaper, etc.) cannot be installed by occupants.
  4. According to Virginia State Fire Code, candles and incense are prohibited in residence halls, even if such items are unlit or being used for decorative purpose only.
  5. According to Virginia State Fire code, no more than 10% of a residence hall room's wall surface area may be covered by potentially flammable objects. This includes but is not limited to posters, framed pictures, photos, flags, tapestries or any other decorative objects that are mounted on the wall. Residents in residence hall rooms that approach or surpass this 10% level may be required to remove items as necessary to comply with State fire safety requirements. In addition, wall hangings cannot contact electrical outlets or come closer than 12 inches to the heating unit. All ceiling decorations are prohibited.
  6. Window decorations other than college furnished shades, drapes or blinds may be used but must carry a recognized fire rating and be constructed of fire retardant material.
  7. Living areas must be kept uncluttered and access to the doors clear. Hallways and stairways must remain clear and unobstructed.
  8. At no time may the maximum capacity restrictions of a room, apartment, or Lodge be exceeded.
  9. Residents may make use of the working fireplaces in the following areas: DuPont, Graduate Complex building 800 lounge, Sororities (with the exception of the 2nd floor fireplace in House 1), Lodges, Tazewell and Taliaferro.
    1. Fires in fireplaces should never be unattended.
    2. There should always be a fire extinguisher present in the vicinity when there is an attended fire in the fireplace.
    3. The use of chemical fire starters is prohibited.
    For more information about the College's Fires/Emergency Equipment policies, see the Student Handbook.

Return to Top


Complying with the requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia and in accordance with the College of William & Mary's smoking policy, all residence halls, apartments, and houses are smoke-free. Residents, guests and employees must refrain from smoking at any time they are physically present in the building, including private residence rooms and within a 25-foot radius surrounding all colleged owned and operated facilities.

Return to Top

Academic Year Storage

The College will not store college furnishings or student belongings outside of the resident's room.

Summer Storage

Summer storage is very limited and restricted to the area designated by Residence Life. All stored items must be in stackable containers labeled with name, residence hall address, email and date of pickup. Refrigerators, bicycles and lofts may be stored but loft frames must be disassembled, securely bundled and labeled. Access to items stored over the summer may not be gained until the official opening of the residences in the fall. No carpets, rugs, mattresses, sofas or chairs (or any other furniture items) may be stored. Absolutely no combustible, flammable or explosive items are permitted in storage areas. The College will discard or auction items not removed from these areas by the publicized date in the fall semester and the owners may be charged for the removal of such items.

Return to Top


Students may not transfer this Contract or sublet the assigned room to another party.

Return to Top


Residence Life reserves the right to fill all vacancies. If a space becomes available in a room because a roommate has not been assigned or a roommate moves out, Residence Life reserves the right to fill the vacancy. If spaces are not needed after October 15 (fall) or March 6 (spring), the resident may request to continue to live in the room at an increased rate for the balance of the semester and be assured that the College will not assign someone to that space. "A double as single" rate shall be charged equal to the cost of the current rate plus the prorated amount of one-half the cost of the remaining half of the room.

Residents who engage in conduct designed or intended to dissuade or intimidate other students from moving into a room or who otherwise attempt to manipulate the housing assignment process may be subject to conduct action. This includes not responding to phone, e-mail or other attempts to make contact.

Return to Top

Vacation Periods

The residences, with the exception of graduate housing and Tribe Square, are not open for occupancy during the Semester Break. In addition, only selected buildings are open for the Thanksgiving Break (Cabell, Nicholas, Living Learning Communities in the Randolph Complex, Tazewell, Graduate ComplexLodges, Ludwell, Reves, and all Fraternity and Sorority   Houses). Students are encouraged to plan ahead and make alternate arrangements during this time (10 a.m. on Wednesday, November 27 through 9 a.m. on Sunday, December 1). Residence halls remain open during both fall and spring breaks.

Return to Top

Additional Provisions

If the premises become uninhabitable because of fire, strike, earthquake, accident, flood, riot, emergency, act of God or any reason beyond the control of the College, the College of William and Mary is no longer obligated to provide housing and the student will not be required to pay rent for the time remaining on this Contract. Residence Life will attempt to identify and provide alternate housing for each student affected. A refund of the room rent will be made (in accordance with the schedule printed in the College Catalog) if the student chooses not to accept alternate housing offered by the College or if the College is unable to offer alternate housing. Should any of the conditions described above result in damage or loss to personal property, loss of other items of value, or if there is any other resulting expense, the College will not be responsible.

Nothing in this document proscribes or limits the authority and power of the Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary to establish policy, rules and regulations, which shall be applicable upon their effective date and operate prospectively unless otherwise stated.

Further, the College reserves the right to make reasonable modifications to this Contract to insure personal safety or protection of property, provided reasonable advance notice is given.

Return to Top


Air Conditioning

Room rates are not based on the presence of air-conditioning. To help maintain low utility costs, all central air-conditioning in the residences will be turned off on or about October 15 of each year. The following guidelines will be used to determine the exact date of shut-down: three consecutive days of daily temperatures no higher than 68 degrees and nighttime temperatures no higher than 50 degrees and a downward or stable trend forecast for seven days. All central air conditioning will be turned off by November 1st regardless of weather. Air conditioning will be turned on in the spring on or about April 15. The following guidelines will be used to determine the exact date of start-up: three consecutive days of daily high temperatures higher than 70 degrees and nighttime temperatures no lower than 60 degrees. All air conditioning will be turned on no later than April 20 regardless of weather. The following buildings have central air: Bryan Complex (Bryan, Camm, Dawson, Madison, Stith), DuPont, Graduate Complex, Jamestown North, Jamestown South, Jefferson, Lodges, Ludwell Apartments, Fraternity Houses, Old Dominion, Randolph Complex (Cabell, Giles, Harrison, Page, Pleasants, Preston, Nicholas, Tazewell), Reves, Tribe Square and Yates. The Botetourt Complex (Spotswood, Fauquier, Nicholson, Gooch and Dinwiddie) and Taliaferro have air-conditioned lobbies off the first floor. The rest of the residence halls are not air-conditioned.

Window Air Conditioners
  1. Room air conditioners are not permitted unless a medical exemption is provided by the Student Health Center to Residence Life prior to installation. Students should ask their physician to provide the Student Health Center with medical documentation of need for air conditioning, which must include the medications a student is currently taking.
  2. Students must provide their own air conditioning unit, which must either be installed or inspected by staff from Facilities Management. Requests to schedule installation/removal of air conditioning units must be submitted in writing.
  3. Only one air conditioner is allowed per student room. Room units must be wired for 110-120 volts and should not exceed 6,000 BTUs.
  4. Failure to remove unapproved units may result in College judicial action.
  5. Air conditioners are not permitted in the first floor of student rooms in Sorority Houses due to the presence of security screens.
  6. Window size restrictions: Approximate heights of windows in Botetourt Complex are 17 inches, Randolph Complex window height is 20 inches and Green and Gold Village windows are non-standard sizes. Please see the following link for more detailed information about window size restrictions.

Return to Top


To preserve the health and safety of the residents, only fish in bowls or aquariums (no larger than 20 gallons) and service animals are permissible in student rooms or student apartments. In addition, since the College of William and Mary presumes that non-human life has its own intrinsic value; it calls on its students to refrain from activities which might prove needlessly harmful or wantonly cruel to animals.

Return to Top


The College's residence halls are of varying design and construction type. The College reserves the right to impose reasonable requirements with respect to the type and use of appliances, equipment and other items students bring into the residence halls. Residents are strongly urged to use appliances that are Energy Star compliant. (See Prohibited Items.) Non-fused extension cords and flexible extension codes are prohibited in residence hall rooms.


Refrigerators no larger than 4.3 cubic feet and Energy Star rated are permitted in residence hall rooms.

Microwave Ovens

Microwave ovens (without convection oven options) are permitted in residence hall rooms.

Other Approved Appliances

Hot air popcorn poppers and Underwriters Laboratory (UL) listed and thermostatically controlled(switches the power off if the appliance overheats) hot pots and coffee makers are permitted.

Appliances in Apartments

Apartments are furnished with refrigerators and stove/oven units. Apartment units with kitchens may be furnished with other kitchen appliances.

Return to Top



All students are required to register their bicycles with William and Mary Police.  Bicycle registration is free, takes only a few minutes, and can be done 24 hours a day at the William and Mary Police station. Bicycles must be parked in bicycle racks and should always be locked, even when left for a short period, to reduce the potential for theft.  Bicycles found locked to stairways, handicap ramps, in common areas or in violation of fire code are subject to being ticketed and immediately impounded at the owner's expense.  Bicycles may not be kept in buildings when school is in session; however, students may store their bicycles in their residence hall rooms during breaks in the school year.

Return to Top

Capacity Numbers

Based on fire safety; maximum room, apartment, and Lodge capacities are as follows and should never be exceeded.

Single rooms 9
Double rooms 10
Triple rooms 11
Quad rooms 12
Cabell apartments 20
Grad double apartments 15
Grad triple apartments 20*
Grad quad apartments 15
Lodges 28
Ludwell apartments 20
Nicholas apartments 30
Tribe Square 20

* Grad triple apartments have a different capacity level due to apartment square footage.

Return to Top

Decorations Policy

Residents are permitted to decorate rooms, hallways and common areas as long as they adhere to the following policies:

  1. Smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire alarms and light fixtures must remain uncovered. Residents must not drape or attach decorations to these items.
  2. Decorations must not obstruct hallways, fire exits, exit signs and access to fire safety equipment.
  3. Free-standing or table top decorations are permitted. When hanging items in common areas, the use of tape, tacks, nails or staples to attach decorations to walls, ceilings and doors (including room doors) is not permitted. Decorations may be applied to bulletin boards as long as they comply with the other policies listed here.
  4. All light bulbs and light strings generate enough heat to ignite paper and cloth. Residents must ensure that light bulbs and light strings do not come into contact with anything flammable.
  5. All lighting to decorate trees or rooms must be UL approved. String lights or light ropes can be used to decorate student rooms. Decorative lights must either be plugged directly into an outlet or into a surge protector. Residents may run decorative light strings in series up to three strings per outlet. The use of string lights in common areas is prohibited unless they are being used on a tree or they are battery powered. No crimping of cords may occur, so don't run cords under doorways or windows.
  6. For everyone's safety, lights must be turned off when the area is unattended.
  7. Use of live garland, greenery, wreaths, leaves, twigs, bamboo, branches, hay or sand as decoration is prohibited. Floors must not be covered with any material other than carpet or rugs.
  8. Artificial trees may be used in residence hall rooms lounges, lobbies or living room areas; however, live, cut trees are prohibited by state fire code.
  9. All decorations must be removed after the specific function or, in the case of holidays, prior to residence halls closing for semester break. Decorations left during the semester break in common areas will be removed and discarded and the hall/group responsible for the decorations may be billed.

Return to Top

Discrimination Clause

Room, roommate, and room change assignments are made without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status and all other categories ensured by the Commonwealth and by federal law.

Return to Top


Students locked out of their room should contact a Residence Life staff member for admittance to the room or follow other instructions as provided. Students must provide proof of residency (student I.D. number). Students will only be admitted to their assigned rooms. A 7-day loan key is available at the Duty Office if the key is temporarily misplaced.

Replacements for lost or temporarily misplaced keys may also be obtained from the Residence Life office during normal weekday working hours or by calling 757-221-5625 on weekends.

Core Changes

If the residents of the room are present during the core change, they may sign for their new key(s) from the locksmith. If residents are not present, a note will be left by the locksmith indicating that the new keys will be available in Residence Life until 5 p.m. the day of the core change or after 7 p.m. in their area duty office.

Non-Emergency Core Changes

Loaned keys not returned to the duty office by the end of the 7-day period will result in a non-emergency core change. The student account of the resident who checked out the loaned key will be billed the $40 per core for the change. Non-emergency core changes are done on Wednesday except during finals.

Emergency Core Changes

An emergency core change will be requested in their Duty Office by the student if their original key is lost or stolen and changing the lock can not wait until the next scheduled core change day. The student account of the student requesting the emergency core change may be billed the $40 per core for the change.

Return to Top


Residents may construct lofts in their rooms. The following rules and regulations will be adhered to concerning construction, use and disassembly of lofts in residence halls:

  1. A loft is defined as a free standing platform intended to provide a sleeping surface only. Large structures that cover more than two-thirds of the room or are intended to add a second level to a room are not allowed.
  2. Before constructing a loft, a resident must read and sign a "Waiver of Liability" available in area Duty Offices.
  3. While the loft is being constructed or dismantled, hallways, doors or window areas must not be blocked with lumber, furniture, fixtures, etc. Doors and windows must never be obstructed.
  4. Construction Guidelines:
    1. Lofts must be free-standing. Bolts, nails, chains, etc. cannot be sunken, attached or adhered in any way to the walls, floors and/or ceilings to support the loft.
    2. Desks, dressers, wardrobes, etc. must not be used to support the loft.
    3. Lofts must not be larger than 90" x 48". Lofts must also be constructed in such a way as to allow 36" clearance between the top of the mattress and an 8' or 9' ceiling. In rooms with ceilings over 9', bunk beds or lofts may not exceed 7' in height.
    4. In a room with more than one loft, no more than two lofts may be attached to each other to increase structural integrity. Lofts may NOT be attached for the purpose of adding a second room level.
    5. Lofts must be located and constructed in such a way that they do not interfere with access to windows, air conditioning, heating or plumbing units, smoke detectors or other items requiring periodic maintenance and do not interfere with or obstruct egress from the room in case of emergency.
    6. Attached room fixtures (ceiling tiles, lights, electrical outlets or switches, air conditioning/heating covers, smoke detectors, shades, etc.) must not be removed or relocated as a result of loft construction, use or disassembly.
    7. A ladder must be permanently attached to the loft and should be used for mounting and dismounting the loft.
  5. Residents of the room assume responsibility for any damages resulting from any cutting, sawing, painting or staining done in the residence halls.
  6. College beds, mattresses, desks, dressers, chairs, etc. must not be removed from the room.
  7. Lofts must be completely dismantled and removed from the room when the occupants vacate the room, either by changing rooms during the year or upon final check-out at the end of the fall or spring semester. At that time, the room should conform to the original room condition with all furniture assembled as it was upon check-in. Failure to dismantle and remove all materials or re-assemble college furnishings will result in assessment of labor and replacement costs to residents of the room.
  8. In the case of a mid semester or midyear check-out or room change, lofts belonging to the departing resident of a room may be left standing only if the new occupant of the room agrees to accept the loft and provides the Area Director with a signed "Waiver of Liability" form.
  9. Lofts are subject to periodic inspection by the staff from Facilities Management for compliance with the aforementioned guidelines. Residents whose lofts do not meet these guidelines will be required to modify or replace their loft.
  10. The following tips can assist in the safe use of lofts:
    1. Tighten all bolts regularly.
    2. Bed rails should be provided to help prevent falls.
    3. Do not decorate lofts with flammable materials. Electrical appliances should be kept and used away from the loft.
    4. Clip-on reading lights should be mounted at least 24" away from the mattress or pillow. This has been a common cause of room fires in the past at the College.

Return to Top

Painting Rooms

Student rooms are painted in an off-white color on a rotating schedule. Students may not paint their rooms in any other color, or add murals or border designs to their room walls or ceilings. Students who wish to touch up their walls may pick up the approved off-white, semi-gloss latex paint from Residence Life (212 Campus Center). Brushes, rollers, drop cloths, etc. will be provided by the residents.

Return to Top

Quiet Hours

Under the policy of Self-Determination, quiet hours are determined by each community and approved by the Residence Hall Council.

Return to Top

Principles of Self-Determination

The College's dedication to liberal education is reflected in its policy of residence life known as Self-Determination. Each residential unit is viewed as a living-learning center whose goal is to enrich each student's educational experience. Under the policy of Self-Determination, the residents of each unit, under the guidance of the Residence Life staff, develop rules, guidelines and procedures of governance for living which will allow for both individual freedom and the privacy and personal rights of others in the community.

Student Involvement in Self-Determination

Students in residence halls exercise the responsibility of self-governance through the Residence Hall Councils. The residents develop rules and guidelines which pertain to the maintenance of a clean and orderly environment in the residence hall, the maintenance of reasonable quiet, the regulation of conduct which infringes on the rights of other residents or which restricts the use of common areas, the assurance of a reasonable level of safety and security and the regulation of visitation of guests.

The policies and procedures adopted by the Residence Hall Councils shall be compatible with the College policy, public laws and the academic objectives of a residential and educational community. The individual's right of privacy and freedom of personal choice and movement; and the educational goals of the College must always be ensured by the guidelines.

Resident's Rights and Responsibilities
  1. Each resident shall have freedom of movement in or out of his/her residence hall at all times.
  2. Each visitor to a residence hall must be a welcomed guest of a resident of that hall.
  3. Residents are responsible for the behavior of any guest(s) visiting.
  4. Residents must have the consent of the roommate(s)/apartment mates in order to have a guest(s).
  5. Each student has the right to counsel with a member of the Student Affairs staff concerning problems arising from Self-Determination. The staff of the Vice President for Student Affairs has the right to intervene to ensure that the rights of all students are respected.

Functions of Residence Hall Councils
a. Composition and Organization of Councils

After the first week of classes, but no later than the end of the third week of the academic session, each residence hall or complex shall elect a Residence Hall Council consisting of at least one representative from each floor or section of the hall or complex.

The offices of the Residence Hall Council shall be determined by the council and the officers' duties designated by the same. A combination of the following offices is suggested as a means of developing an effective Hall Council: President, or Chair; Vice President; Secretary; Programming Chairperson; representative to campus wide RHA (Residence Hall Association) and Floor/Unit Representative. The Head Resident, Hall Director or Complex Director for the residence shall serve as advisor to the Council. Following election of all members, each Residence Hall Council shall decide such issues as the following:

  1. the constitution from the previous year will remain in effect until a new constitution is ratified;
  2. ratify old rules and guidelines or develop new rules and guidelines;
  3. determine how frequently meetings will be held;
  4. set meeting attendance policy;
  5. determine what constitutes quorum;
  6. decide what voting percentage is required to pass resolutions; and
  7. determine how to handle replacement of officers or representatives who resign.

Any member of the Residence Hall Council shall be subject to recall proceedings in accordance with the individual hall council constitution.

b. Events and Activities Function of the Council

The Residence Hall Council has the responsibility for organizing social and educational activities for the residence hall community according to the needs and interests of the residents. The Council has the right to appoint the committees necessary to this function and the right to establish dues, organize fund-raising activities and receive contributions as a means of support for its events and activities.

c. Governance Function of the Council
  1. Exercising the principle of Self-Determination, the Residence Hall Council has the responsibility to determine rules and guidelines governing common areas, both those rules and guidelines for residents and the policies for allowing outside groups to use residence hall space. The Council also has the responsibility to clearly outline consequences for failure to abide by established rules and regulations. Until the elected Residence Hall Council is functioning at the beginning of the fall semester, rules and guidelines developed during the proceeding academic year will be in effect. The Residence Life staff will be responsible for making these policies known.

    1. No rule or guideline may be established which is inconsistent with or contrary to the rules, regulations and policies of the College. Rules may be established that are more stringent than the general provisions of the College. In addition, the Residence Hall Council may permit the residents of a floor or section of a residence to elect hours of access or visitation or to establish other regulations more restrictive than those employed by the remainder of the residence hall.
    2. All rules and guidelines established by the Residence Hall Council must be approved according to the provisions stated in the respective constitutions.
    3. Any rule or guideline shall be subject to a referendum according to the provisions stated in the respective constitutions.
    4. All rules and guidelines established by the Residence Hall Council will be reviewed by the Residence Life Staff. Copies of all rules and guidelines shall be posted in the residence hall and also be on file in the Residence Life Office.
  2. Within the first three weeks of the fall semester, the Resident Assistant shall assist each living unit (floor, wing, house, etc.) within a residence area in the development of a Community Agreement outlining guidelines for community living and consequences for failure to follow established guidelines. Community Agreements should cover areas such as quiet hours, visitation regulations, use of unit lounge, kitchen and hallway space, and mutual expectations of unit residents. All residents of a living unit are expected to participate in the development of the Community Agreement and sign the completed agreement. A copy of each Community Agreement shall be posted in the living unit, and a copy kept on file in the Residence Life Office as well.

    1. The Community Agreement may be amended at any time. Any resident of a living unit may call a unit meeting to discuss modification of the Community Agreement.
    2. In the event that conditions outlined in Community Agreements within a residence appear to be in conflict, the Residence Hall Council shall serve as mediator. Representatives of the units in conflict shall bring their grievances to the Hall Council for resolution by the voting members of the Council.
    3. In the event that a student fails to follow established guidelines of an individual hall/unit Community Agreement, the Residence Hall Council has the authority to levy charges against the responsible party.
  3. The Residence Hall Council has the responsibility to investigate damages to common property, furniture and fixtures, to determine culpability, to assess charges to the responsible parties, and to collect from residents or designate Council funds for repair or replacement of damaged property. The Residence Hall Council has the authority to levy charges against users of area property, equipment or furnishings and damage to or misuse of same.

d. Recommendation of Physical Improvements

The Residence Hall Council has the responsibility to represent the residents of the unit in matters which pertain to needed and desired physical improvements in the residence. The Council may designate funds for the purchase and/or refurbishing of furniture, recreational equipment and other items based on residents' needs and interests. The Residence Hall Council has the authority to establish policies regulating the use of such furniture and equipment.

Return to Top

Special Housing Options

Adaptive Housing

Students who have need for speical accommodations related to gender identiy or expression may apply to the Center for Student Diversity at 757-221-2300.

Africana House

Africana House promotes awareness of Africa and provides an informal setting where students are introduced to African history, cultures, and current events. For more information contact Professor Artisia Green at  [[avgreen]].

Colonial Williamsburg House

The College and Colonial Williamsburg have agreed to offer a housing option for two rising seniors in the Historic Area each year. The house currently leased is called the William Randolph Lodging and is located at 406 E. Nicholson Street – just one block over from Duke of Gloucester Street.

Community Scholars Housing

Upper-class students who have been selected as Community Scholars may elect to live in Community Scholars Housing. Contact the Charles Center at (757) 221-2495 for information.


EcoHouse  House provides students with a living learning community that focuses on environmental responsibility. For more information contact Professor Randy Chambers at [[rmcham]].

Fraternity/Sorority Housing

The College offers protected housing to a number of fraternities and sororities. For more information about fraternity and sorority housing contact the Fraternity and Sorority Life staff in the Office of Student Leadership Development.

Graduate Housing

The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Graduate Complex, conveniently located next to the Law School, features two, three and four bedroom apartments that are specifically designed and constructed for graduate students. Each occupant of the apartment has their own bedroom and share the common areas, which include a kitchen, living room and bathroom.

Language Houses

Language Houses are residence halls which provide opportunities for residents to speak foreign languages and to learn about other cultures. The Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish and Russian Houses each admit approximately 20 students. Each House is staffed by a native-speaking Resident Tutor who functions as a resource for students to enhance both the proficiency in the host language, as well as their knowledge of culture. For more information about applying to a Language House, contact The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures at (757) 221-3634.

Medical Needs

Individuals needing special housing accommodations due to a medical need should contact the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Disability Services at (757) 221-2510.

Monroe Scholars

Freshmen students who have been selected as Monroe Scholars may elect to live in designated Monroe Scholar housing.

Mosaic House

Mosaic House provides students with a living center that encourages and supports serious dialogue about cultural and social difference. For more information contact Professor  Professor Thomas Linneman at [[tjlinn]].

Reves Hall

Reves Hall houses students selected to live there based on their travel and interest in international studies. For more information about applying to Reves Hall, contact the Reves Center for International Studies at (757) 221-3590.

Sharpe Community Partnership Program

The Sharpe Community Partnership Program is a freshman residential initiative that extends William and Mary's long-held tradition of public and community service. Nurturing both responsible citizenship and energetic involvement in the community is part of the College's mission. In the spirit of our mission and traditions, students who participate will live in the Sharpe program residence, enroll in program-sponsored seminars, take part in public forums and work together on community projects - all as a way of encouraging freshmen to explore issues in our national life and become directly involved in these issues through public service. For more information about applying to the Community Scholars House, contact the Charles Center at (757) 221-2495.


The College offers the first floor of Hunt Hall as a substance-free floor for upper-class students. Alcohol is not permitted in any individual room in a freshman residence hall unless one of the residents is at least 21 years of age and the alcohol belongs to that resident. Further, alcohol is not permitted in the common areas of freshman residences nor may functions with alcohol be scheduled in freshman residence halls.

Residents who live on a substance-free hall, and their guests, agree to refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages at any time they are physically present on the floor, including in private residence rooms. If a resident or his/her guest violates this provision, the resident will receive one written warning issued by the Area Director. A second violation will result in the resident being reassigned to another space on campus as determined by Residence Life. Any such reassignment does not release the resident from the Housing Agreement.

Return to Top

Other Information


Since few of the residence hall rooms are carpeted, students may consider bringing a room size carpet from home. Carpet remnants are also available at local stores.

Return to Top

Community Agreements

Under the guidelines of the Policy of Self-Determination, residents of individual floors and buildings establish policies and enforcement procedures for the smooth operation of the residence halls. Some policies addressed include quiet hours, visitation, lounge use and kitchen use. The Agreements are established at the beginning of the year and remain as "living" documents until the halls close.

Return to Top

I.D. Card

I.D. cards are prepared for each entering student by the I.D. Office (169 Campus Center, (757) 221-2105). Student I.D. cards provide access to the residence halls equipped with I.D. card readers. Academic and administrative building access is maintained by William and Mary Police. In addition, the student I.D. card provides access to meals, vending machines, Swem Library, the Recreation Center, Student Health and the W&M Express Account. If lost or stolen, immediately contact the I.D. Office during normal business hours or William and Mary Police (757) 221-4596 after 5 p.m. or on the weekends.

Return to Top

Information Technology

Students living in W&M residence halls who want landline phone service in their rooms will need to request the service, pay a small activation fee and provide their own telephone. All resident students will be able to make local calls from the landline phones that will be available in the hallways or living rooms of on campus residences.

Cable TV

Cable television access is available in all College residence halls.

Internet Access

Each residence room has a high speed data network that allows students to access the College's resources, the library's on-line card catalog, email, and the Internet. Wireless connections are available in the residence halls. Every new computer comes equipped with a network card.

Long Distance Authorization

Long distance calling is available through the use of an authorization code which may be obtained from the Information Technology Office (221-4357).

Voice Mail

A voice mailbox and instructions for use are provided by Information Technology to each resident who has requested phone service at the IT home page (http://www.wm.edu/IT/).

Return to Top


Most buildings are equipped with kitchens. Residents are free to use the kitchen facilities but must clean up after themselves. Specific policies regarding kitchen use/cleanliness can be addressed in Community Agreements.

Return to Top


Most of the residences are equipped with coin operated and/or WM Express Card access washers and dryers. The laundry facilities are under the auspices of Residence Life and are currently contracted to an outside vendor. Any problems with machine malfunction can be reported by phone (1-800-927-9274), e-mail service@caldwellandgregory.com or on the web http://www.caldwellandgregory.com/content/contact-us-university-service-request. The College is not liable for any damage or loss caused by the washers or dryers. Please note that we currently use high efficiency front loading washers in the residence halls. Manufacturer's guidelines recommend liquid detergent instead of powdered detergent. Detergent ‘cakes' should not be used in these machines.

Return to Top


Questions or information regarding meal plan information should be directed to Dining Services at (757) 221-7856.

Return to Top

Postal Service/Mail

All undergraduate and resident students are provided, at no extra charge, a mailbox (CSU) in the campus post office. However, if a key is lost the student will be charged a $25 lock replacement fee. Postal Services has a Student Services window for delivery of USPS/FedEx/DHL/UPS and other express mail parcels to provide students with a contact point for any questions. The window hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Postal Services also provides a USPS Contract Station window for mailing needs. The window hours are 9 a.m - 4:00 p.m. Mail is deposited in student boxes by 3:00 p.m. daily.

Please do not send money or any valuables (including gift cards) without a tracking number. The tracking number will allow the sender to determine if this piece of mail was ever received by college Postal Services.

Mail or parcels sent by way of the United States Postal Services mail should be addressed as shown below:

Student's Name
College Station Unit ####
P.O. Box 8793
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8793

Items shipped by way of UPS, FedEx, DHL, and other similar carriers should be addressed as shown below:

Student’s Name
College Station Unit ####or GSH Box ####
110 Sadler Center
200 Stadium Drive
Williamsburg, VA 23185

To ensure proper delivery to students residing at the Graduate Complex, mail should be addressed in the following manner:

Student's name
P.O. Box 8705
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8705

Students are responsible for transporting these items to their residence. If a student returns any item he or she may use Postal Services as a pickup point for these items but must call the vendor to schedule the pickup.

These items will be available for pickup at the Student Services Window after processing from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and on Saturday 10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.. When students come to Postal Services to pick up packages they should bring their package slips from their CSU box or the email from [[parcel]] to expedite the process.

For more Mail Service information go to myWM webpage and click on favorites, then Facilities Management, next Postal Services, and then select the “POST TIPS” that will provide helpful information. If additional information is needed email: [[rhsear]] with your inquiry.

Return to Top


Recycling receptacles are available in each residence hall room. Residents are responsible for voluntarily removing their recyclable materials to one of the dumpsters labeled for recycling only.

Return to Top


The Williamsburg Area Transport (WAT) provides bus services for William and Mary and the surrounding area. The campus bus system is designated the Green Line, with two buses dedicated to providing daily transportation throughout the campus for students, faculty and staff in a circuit loop every 15 minutes. The Green Line provides service to the Law School, Graduate Complex, School of Education, and main campus as well as providing connections to the greater Williamsburg area. Riding any of the bus lines serviced by WAT is free of charge with your William and Mary ID. For more information, contact (757) 259-4093.

  1. Motorcycles and other motorized vehicles are not permitted in the residence halls.
  2. Only Juniors and Seniors are permitted to obtain parking decals for their vehicles.
  3. Parking off campus is by city permit only.
  4. Medically necessary exceptions to the parking policy are handled by the Dean of Students Office (109 Campus Center, (757) 221-2510).
  5. For more information concerning parking, contact Parking Services at (757) 221-4764 or [[parked]].

Return to Top

Vending Machines

Vending machines are located in all residence hall areas. The vending machines will accept both coins and the W&M Express account. For questions about refunds, contact the ID office at (757) 221-2105.

Return to Top