As a non-degree seeking student

Non-degree seeking (NDS) applicants apply for admission each semester and visiting students may attend William & Mary for one semester only. With the exception of visiting students during fall and spring, there is no maximum or minimum number of credits that NDS students may take at W&M during a given semester. However, students taking twelve or more credits in a semester will be charged all general fees (this and other must-know policies and resources should be reviewed in full).

NDS applicants must present academic or other credentials comparable to those of admitted full-time students.  W&M does not accommodate non-degree seeking status requests from traditional college applicants who are initially denied admission or persons not eligible to return to the last institution attended.  The university reserves the right to deny admission to convicted felons.

Undergraduate and Graduate Arts & Sciences Courses

The application deadline is 10 days before the first day of term, although extensions may be available to W&M graduates. All NDS applicants complete a non degree seeking application and if applicable, the application for Virginia in-state tuition privileges (see the forms page).

Before You Apply - Taking Graduate Arts & Sciences Courses

Graduate Arts & Sciences courses (numbered 500 and above) are restricted to degree seeking students. Non degree seeking students must obtain permission from the instructor and the department's director of graduate studies prior to admission.

The Permission Form: Graduate Course for Unclassified Students is available through the Office of Graduate Studies and Research (757-221-2467) or from the department where you intend to take classes. Complete the form, have it signed by the instructor and the department's director of graduate studies, and return it to the Office of University Registrar. 

Before You Apply - Taking Graduate History Courses

Non degree seeking students must complete an application process through the history department. Please visit the department's non degree seeking webpage for application instructions.

Application Details

For additional details about applying as a non degree seeking student, select your current status from the following:

Graduate Courses in Other Schools

To take graduate courses in a school other than Graduate Arts & Sciences, please apply and register with the appropriate school. All non degree seeking questions should be directed to the appropriate school.