Griffin School Partnerships (GSP) provides After-School and Mentoring opportunities for Williamsburg-James City County students to learn and grow with the support of William & Mary college student volunteers.
In After-School William & Mary student volunteers offer academic support for two afternoons each week at Berkeley, Hornsby, and Toano middle schools while the College is in session. Students are expected to attend both days each week. Snack is provided.
- Berkeley Middle School: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:05pm - 5:00pm
- Hornsby Middle School: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:05pm - 5:00pm
- Toano Middle School: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2:30pm - 4:30pm
In addition, GSP After-School brings middle school students to W&M's campus at least two Saturdays each semester for enrichment programming. Students who attend after-school regularly are encouraged and expected to attend enrichment programs. Lunch and transportation in WJCC school buses is provided. In the spring, as a celebration of the student's hard work in the program, GSP After-School students may participate in Big Trip. Big Trip is an exciting full-day field trip to somewhere outside of the WJCC area. Previous trips have been to D.C., Monticello, and the Virginia Aquarium.
Fall 2019 Enrichment Program Schedule
- Saturday, October 19th
- Saturday, November 2nd
- Saturday, November 23rd
WJCC students and families seeking to join the GSP After-School program should speak to their school Guidance Counselor or Student Advancement Coach for information on applications, deadlines, and more program logistics. If there are additional questions please contact the Office of Community Engagement's Education Programs Coordinator at (757) 221-2738.
GSP Mentoring provides an hour of one-to-one matched mentoring during lunch and recess/advisory each week to students at James River Elementary and Berkeley Middle School
- Each student selected for participation will be matched with a W&M college student mentor for the duration of an entire school year. Pairs will meet for about 45 minutes each week during lunch, recess, or advisory periods in order to ensure the mentoring sessions do not interrupt classroom instruction. All W&M mentors are screened through an application and interview process and then very thoughtfully and intentionally matched with a mentee.
- become actively engaged in their schools and communities
- form positive relationships with peers, teachers, and family members
- value school and feel like they belong
- develop strong academic motivation and success
WJCC students seeking to join the GSP Mentoring program should speak to their school guidance counselor for information on applications, deadlines, and more program logistics.
GSP Classroom Assistance:
- Clara Byrd Baker Elementary School
- Hornsby Middle School
- Matthew Whaley Elementary School
- Warhill High School
Keep an eye out for William & Mary students the next time you visit your child's school!