Would you like to add Microsoft Office to your new computer? William & Mary offers a no-cost licensed version of Microsoft Office 2016 to students while enrolled at W&M. Microsoft Office provides Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Office services.
Which students qualify for this program?
All undergraduate, graduate Arts & Sciences, School of Education, School of Business, and Law School students may use this licensed service.
How do I get Office?
- Use the download link at the bottom of this page.
- Enter your WMuserid in the username field (example: tjefferson).
- Enter your WMuserid password. This is the same password that you would use if you are signing-in to Banner Self-Service.
- Follow the prompts to install.
- If at any time after downloading Office asks for your email address, enter your WMuserid and add @wm.edu to the end of it. Yes, use an @wm.edu address even though you are a student (example: email@example.com).
I already have Microsoft Office on my laptop. Should I get this, too?
Probably not. However, you may wish to use the W&M licensed version if you are currently using an older version of Microsoft Office. However, this Office 2016 licensed version may overwrite any other instances of Microsoft Office on your computer. You may lose the version that you have purchased if you choose to install this one.
How many computers will my license cover?
You may apply your license of Microsoft Office to a maximum of 5 laptop or desktop computers.
What happens when I hit my limit of 5 computers?
Once you hit your 5 computer limit, you can choose to deactivate an old installation. To do that:
- Follow the same link used to download (link at the bottom of this page)
- Sign in with your WMuserid and password
- Click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner
- Select Office 365 Settings
- Click Software on the left hand side
- Click Deactivate beside the computer name you would like to remove from the license
I'd rather buy it.
That's fine. You can purchase a non-licensed version of Microsoft Office with a student discount at the Microsoft Store.
Must I be connected to the Internet to use Microsoft Office?
Not always. You may work and save your progress offline. However, to maintain your license, the application must connect to the Internet once every 30 days. Simply turn on your computer and open an Office program (like Word) to connect. If that connection is not made after 30 days, the license will expire, but will reactivate once you are connected again - as long as you maintain an active student status.
When will my license expire?
The license is active as long as you are an enrolled student at W&M (including periods of study abroad). So your license will expire either when you graduate or if you separate from the College prior to graduation.
What are the system requirements?
To run Office 2016 (for PCs) your operating system must be Windows 7 or later. To run Office 2016 (for Macs) your operating system must be 10.10 or later. Additional requirements can be found on the Office website.
...or go to getoffice.wm.edu in your browser.
Note: Using this link ensures W&M support. We cannot guarantee support if you go through the Microsoft website to download the software.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 am - 5:00 pm