Landline Phone Services

Requesting Service

Students living in W&M residence halls who want landline phone service in their rooms will need to request the service and pay an annual $50 activation fee. Landline phones are also installed in the hallways of on-campus residences and all resident students may use them.  Students are required to bring their own phone.

Request landline phone service for your room

Connect your Phone

Phones are connected to an analog phone jack in the dorm room. 

Details about Residence Hall Phone Service

To dial numbers on the W&M main campus, dial 1 + the last four digits of the campus phone number.  

For all calls outside of campus, dial 9 + plus the number you wish to dial. For long-distance and international numbers, you will need an authorization code

Additional dialing instructions can be found here. 

Voice Mail Service

Voice Mail service is an option for students who have requested landline phone service. You will be given your extension number and password when service is activated. 

Access Voice Mail by dialing 757-221-1000 from any phone or 1-1000 from your campus phone and enter your extension number (1-XXXX) and password.

Troubleshooting & Support

So, your phone doesn't seem to be working right?  The first step is to test your phone line with another analog phone. 

  • Problem goes away.  Then the problem is likely with your telephone.  Some phones may have manufacturer or point-of-sale warranties but in most cases it will be time to buy a new phone. 
  • Problem stays.  The problem is likely the telephone line. Contact the Technology Support Center from another telephone to request that a telephone technician be sent out to troubleshoot your line.

Need help?  Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Mon. - Fri., 8:00 am - 5:00 pm