William & Mary Information Technology recommends Windows 10 LTSB/C for most computers, because we believe it will produce fewer interruptions for you, and because it is meant to be consistent for the life of your computer. However, if you have a business need for Semi-Annual Channel, it can be requested.
Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel (formerly “Current Branch for Business”) is an Enterprise version of Windows 10 which includes the Edge browser, Cortana, the Windows Store, and Store Apps.
If you need to have this version of Windows installed instead of the default version (LTSB/C), you must agree to go through an upgrade process at least once a year.
You agree to the upgrade requirement if you:
- Request the Semi-Annual Channel version on your computer/laptop
- Purchase a Microsoft Surface (receives Semi-Annual Channel by default)
- Purchase a convertible touchscreen device (receives Semi-Annual Channel by default)
The upgrade process will happen at least once, sometimes twice per year. It is meant to resemble the installation of normal monthly patches. Generally you will only be required to do the following at the time of the upgrade application:
- Log off
- Let your machine reboot
The upgrade process should take between 30 minutes and one hour.
Upgrade Failures - 3 tries
If the upgrade should fail, we will attempt to find the cause of the failure (if it is obvious to us). Please be aware, however, that many failures do not have obvious causes. We may request you to take steps to prevent failure on the next attempt.
The upgrade will be attempted twice more. If the third attempt fails, you must bring in your machine to have it completely reimaged, or you will be contacted by Information Technology to do so.
William & Mary Information Technology has very limited control over:
- Features of Windows changed during the upgrade (such as the way the Start Menu looks)
- What time(s) of year the upgrade will occur (this varies from person to person)
- Whether we can spot and correct a failure
- What changes are made from upgrade to upgrade
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm