New Features and Updates for Blackboard
- New way to Grade Assignments in Blackboard: Bb Annotate replaces the existing inline grading tool found in the Assignment feature in Blackboard. This new tool offers a robust feature set for instructors to provide customizable feedback to students.
- Blackboard navigation has been updated to Ultra. Find a list of all the changes on our Blackboard - Navigation Update announcement page.
- Blackboard DocuSign role change requests can be found at the bottom of this page under "William & Mary Specific Instructions." Although role changes in Blackboard often apply to students, it will also apply to other faculty members, instructors, TAs, guests, or anyone else needing a role change.
Blackboard Course Generator
- W&M Blackboard Course Generator (Instructions for Using Course Generator)
- The process to create new courses is run every two hours, starting at 6:10 am and ending at 8:10 pm. Courses are not created instantaneously.
- The course will be marked as Course Request Pending until it is created in Blackboard.
- Course enrollments from Banner will populate into the course once created. This process is also run every two hours, starting at 7:20 am and ending at 9:20 pm.
- Groups are created in merged courses after add/drop period. Smart Views for the Grade Center in Blackboard can be created once the groups are populated (for instructions click here).
Learn how to use a wide variety of Blackboard Tools.
- Panopto is an easy-to-use tool for recording in-class lectures, events, presentations, and tutorials that can be distributed to students through Blackboard.
- Zoom is a conferencing service that offers both video and audio conferencing and screen-sharing capabilities.
- Poll Everywhere is a student response (SRS) that allows instructors to engage students with questions and polls on any Internet-enabled device.
- Grade Center: Learn how to manage your students' assignments and grades in Blackboard's Grade Center.
- NameCoach is a tool to help students and instructors with the proper and preferred pronunciation of names. Access the NameCoach recorder directly at namecoach.wm.edu or through Blackboard.
Usage instructions: NameCoach Recorder (pdf), NameCoach Roster (pdf)
Beginning of Semester
- Blackboard Courses by default are available for students to see in their course listings. If you don’t want students looking at a course while you are developing content, you will need to make your course unavailable (for instructions click here). Make sure to turn your course back on for students to see for the first day of class.
- For quick access to current courses, the My Blackboard Course listing can be sorted by term (for instructions click here).
- Learn how to Customize your Blackboard Course Menu.
- Want to see your course through your students’ eyes? Use the student preview feature to experience exactly what your students do, including submitting assignments and taking tests.
- To view a student photo roster, use the Oscelot Photo Roster in Course Tools.
- When uploading files for Blackboard, it is recommended you do not use special characters (# ? % ! @, etc) in your file name.
End of Semester
- Archive your course content to make sure you have a copy for your records (for instructions click here).
- Students are not removed from courses at the end of the semester. You may want to make your course unavailable or make sure assignments and test/quizzes are not available for students to see.
- If you wish to make your course unavailable to students, please follow these directions:
1. Log into your course
2. Click on the Control Panel
3. Click on Customization
4. Click on Properties
5. Under Set Availability select No to Make Course Unavailable
Blackboard maintains a constantly updated help website for users. It includes tutorials, videos, and step-by-step instructions. Blackboard Help pages are provided in a variety of different languages.
William & Mary Specific Instructions
W&M Information Technology has written instructions for our specific Blackboard environment. If the topic you need is missing, please email us at email@example.com.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm