G Suite (formerly WMApps) the Google-powered student email platform, has moved to CAS Single Sign-On.
Yes! One less password to remember!
On May 21st, 2019, G Suite (previously known as WMApps) was incorporated into the W&M Central Authentication System (CAS). This change allows you to access G Suite (student email + Google tools) with the same W&M account credentials used to access most other W&M systems, instead of maintaining separate login credentials for G Suite.
Active W&M Account
In order to access G Suite through CAS (like when you are signing in on a computer), you must have an active W&M Account. Your password for your W&M Username must be updated annually to maintain an active account and access to G Suite.
- For those with active W&M Accounts (like current W&M faculty, staff, and students), no action is needed. Just know that you now use your W&M Username and password (the same one used to access Banner) for G Suite email, too.
- For those with inactive W&M Accounts (like many alumni who have been away from the university for an extended amount of time), you can continue using G Suite on existing email clients - like on your cell phone. However, you now need to reactivate your W&M Username account to do the following:
- access G Suite on the web
- integrate G Suite email on a new phone
- reintegrate G Suite email on your existing phone
- add Google apps to your device using your G Suite account. (Please see our announcement about Google App changes)
Cell Phone Email Clients
You probably haven't noticed any changes if you receive your G Suite email on your cell phone. The email client works as normal. However, if/when you get a new cell phone, or if you ever have to re-install the email client on your current phone, you will need to have an active W&M Username to complete the process.
Yearly Password Update
W&M Usernames require an annual update to maintain an active status. You can update your password on our W&M Change Password site. It can also be accessed from the button on the IT Homepage. You will receive email reminders in your G Suite email account as your password change date comes due.
Duo will start being required for G Suite beginning in the Fall 2019 semester. We encourage you to enroll in Duo now to be ready when it starts. Even after enrolling, you will not start using Duo until it becomes required for G Suite (Fall 2019).
If you would like to start using Duo now, you can Opt-In to do so at: 2f.wm.edu/optin
Changes to Google Apps Offerings
Recent changes in the Google for Education licensing agreement re-categorized some Google Apps so they now fall outside of the Google for Education protections. As a result, certain affected apps within G Suite will be retired. Please see details on our Google App Changes announcement.
Exporting Your Data
Google Takeout is a tool to help you export your data from G Suite, if you wish to do so. Instructions for exporting your data.
Apps & Clients
After the transition to CAS authentication, you may (or may not) need to update your account credentials to your W&M Username and password. Here are some likely scenarios:
- Google Mobile Apps - At the time of the transition, Google may prompt you once to update your G Suite account credentials. This should automatically update the password in all related apps on the same device.
- Native Mobile Mail Client - If you receive G Suite email in your phone's native mail client, you may need to update your password within the mail client. However, you probably won't have to do this until you change phones.
- Desktop Client - If you have have integrated your G Suite email to work with other desktop clients, like Outlook, you may have to update your account credentials within the client.
Should you encounter any problems, here are some things you can try:
- Phone mail client doesn't receive or send mail - Go to the Accounts section of your phone and update the account credentials to your W&M Username and your password.
- My email is not updating - Close out your mail application and open it again. Sometimes it takes multiple tries.
- Still not updating... If that doesn't work, delete the email account and reinstall it. When prompted for account credentials, use your W&M Username and password. We recommend that you do this while using Wi-Fi to avoid cellular data charges.
- Use the Google Apps - If you have any trouble with your phone's native mail client, or a desktop client, you can always use the Google applications instead (like the Gmail app for email).
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm