Network storage drives moved to a new server in the summer of 2019.
Network storage drives (like the G: Drive, H: Drive, etc) were moved to a new storage server, files.campus.wm.edu, from the old storage server, jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu. The new server replaces aging hardware, provides additional storage space, reduces storage equipment costs, and provides data replication for purposes of disaster recovery.
Migration Status - NOW COMPLETE!
- H: Drives have been migrated to the new server (files.campus.wm.edu)
- Departmental Group Drives have been migrated to the new server (files.campus.wm.edu)*
- Virtual Host websites have been migrated to the new server (files.campus.wm.edu)
- banner-xfr and banner-xfr$ were migrated on Aug. 11 during the Banner Maintenance Window
- All other shared drives have been migrated to the new server (files.campus.wm.edu)
*Note about connecting from off-campus through SFTP: The top-level directory folder may have changed. Please refer to the file named sftp_drivepaths.txt when connecting for the first time.
Reconnecting to your drives
When a shared drive moves, you may have to remap to it. First, restart your computer. IT-managed computers should reconnect to the new drives automatically. If you have to manually remap, here's how:
When you login to your windows workstation after the move it should automatically map the drives to the correct locations. If you find that you don't have a drive correctly mapped when you log in, you may have to remap it. Just right click on the drive letter (in this case G: or H:), select disconnect, and then log out and log back in.
To manually map to the servers, the addresses are:
- G: Drive (group drive) - \\files.campus.wm.edu\home$ (replace "home$" with the name of the drive)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's G:Drive: \\files.campus.wm.edu\monticello$
- H: Drive (personal drive) - \\files.campus.wm.edu\username (replace "username" with your WMuserid)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's H:Drive: \\files.campus.wm.edu\tjefferson
If you use a Mac, you'll need to remap the storage drives. To do that, open Finder, click on the Go menu item, and select Connect to Server. The server addresses are:
- G: Drive (group drive) - smb://files.campus.wm.edu/home$ (replace "home$" with the name of the drive)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's G:Drive: smb://files.campus.wm.edu/monticello$
- H: Drive (personal drive) - smb://files.campus.wm.edu/username (replace "username" with your WMuserid)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's H:Drive: smb://files.campus.wm.edu/tjefferson
After you paste in the correct address, click connect. You will be prompted to enter your name and password.
- Select Registered User
- Put in your username in this format: CAMPUS\wmuserid (ex. CAMPUS\tjefferson)
- Enter your password
Accessing network drives from off-campus
Connect to your files from off-campus using a secure ftp client. Once connected to sftp.wm.edu, you can find a newly updated list of drive addresses in the "SFTP_INFO" folder, a file named "sftp_drivepaths.txt".
You can also access network files via the Virtual Desktop Image (VDI) from off-campus.Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm