This year looks a bit different than previous ones. Here's what has changed from W&M IT and technology around campus.
- Virtual Support - Technology support is conducted as much as possible in a virtual/contactless method - generally either over the phone, email, chat, or through the Request IT portal. In-person support is limited and by appointment only.
- Extended Service Hours - Technology support hours have been extended to help support instructional teaching hours. In addition to normal business hours, our Spring 2021 extended service hours are Mon-Thurs., 5pm-7pm and Sat. 9am-3pm.
- Curbside Pick-up & Delivery - Need us to take a look at your laptop? We pick-up and deliver your laptop to a curbside location so you don't have to come inside the building.
- On-Location Support - Site visits are limited as much as possible, but if necessary, technicians limit possible exposure by using PPE and following cleaning protocols after their visit.
- Computer Replacements - Scheduled computer replacements are being conducted, but modified to reduce in-person contact. If your laptop or desktop is due for a replacement, you will be contacted with details.
- Remote Software Installations - Most (if not all) software installations are done remotely, including on student computers. Check-out the new Software Distribution site.
First and foremost... here's what you need to get connected to the network!
- For laptops and phones - Use the WM-Welcome network or phone data briefly to get connected to the eduroam network. Follow the instructions found here for connecting to eduroam as the initial installation can be tricky.
- For other devices (game consoles, virtual assistants, wireless printers, Chromebooks, etc.) - when you arrive on campus, first register your device and then connect to the WM-Welcome network. Information about how to Connect Devices to the Network.
Lots of additional information for new students can be found on our New Student Resources site.
- Equipment to Support Blended Learning - New/enhanced classroom technology equipment is available to support blended learning (annotation-capable monitors, document cameras, webcams with tripods, etc.)
- Reduced In-Person Classroom Support - In-person visits to classrooms during instructional sessions are minimized as much as possible. Technicians are only dispatched if the problem can not be resolved virtually.
- Physical Distancing - Computer labs are operating at a lower density and selected computers within labs will be closed to promote physical distancing.
- Printer Supplies - Printing supplies are monitored remotely and will be responded to in a timely manner. Paper is restocked periodically during a low-usage time of the day.
- Virtual Desktops - Virtual lab computers are available through Virtual Desktops (VDI).
The home of both the Math Department and Information Technology, Jones Hall, are operating a little different in the Fall 2020 semester. Please take note of the following when planning your visit to the building:
- Face Coverings - As with all areas of campus, face coverings must be worn in communal spaces.
- Reduced Walk-in Traffic - In-person support at the Technology Support Center is by appointment only. Please contact [[support]], 757-221-4357 for help.
- Classrooms - Classrooms within Jones Hall (on the 3rd floor) are operating in a de-densified capacity. Please see the university's Path Forward plan for details.
- Stairwells - The stairwells on either sides of the classrooms (center stairwell, and the stairwell closest to the Police Station) are open to all traffic. The stairwell on the Muscarelle side of the building is reserved for faculty and staff only use.
- Loading Dock - The loading dock is generally the designated pick-up/drop-off area for technology equipment hand-offs.
Note: W&M IT offices are also located in Swem Library, Integrated Science Center (Phase 3), Miller Hall, Law School, and School of Education. For more information about modifications in these locations, please refer to the plans created for those particular buildings.
Please visit our Connect Remotely page for all sorts of good information to help you study, learn, and work while away from campus.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm