Blackboard has changed its inline grading tool from Crocodoc to a new version of Box View.
Blackboard's previous service for inline grading, Crocodoc (within the Assignments feature), was discontinued January 15, 2018. As a result, Blackboard has updated the inline grading feature to a new version of a service called Box View.
The transition took place on Saturday 1/13 at 5:00pm. Because of the change in services, you aren't able to change the existing annotations made in Crocodoc. They are still be available in Box View, but in a read-only mode. The Crocodoc annotations are “burned” into a .pdf file. You are able to add new annotations with the Box View annotation tools, but they can't interact with annotations created in Crocodoc.
This hand-out outlines the changes between Blackboard Crocodoc vs. New Box View (pdf) and includes FAQs about Box View.
Box View Features include:
- Expanded support of new file types including images, video and audio files
- Point-based or highlighting-based comments
- Simple and convenient way to view and annotate student assignment submissions
Please note that some functionality is lost in the current state of Box View. Blackboard is working with Box View to restore these pieces of functionality.
- The ability to download files with the annotations included is no longer available. Blackboard suggests using screenshots instead.
- Drawing and strikethrough are no longer available as annotation tools.
Students may refer to Blackboard's Assignment Grades support website for details about the student experience.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm