You may need to upgrade Cylance when upgrading to Big Sur.
Good news for Mac Users! W&M IT is now giving the green light for you to upgrade to Big Sur - if you wish to do so. However, there are some things you need to do to prepare beforehand.
- Check out new features, requirements, and possible installation issues. Here's a handy guide from Macworld.
- As always, check your applications for compatibility issues beforehand. Inventory and research which applications on your computer could be problematic with Big Sur. Update as needed.
- Make sure Cylance (W&M's security service) is updated to 2.1.1580. If you have an older version of Cylance (like 2.1.1570) and upgrade to BigSur, protection will be interrupted. For IT-managed Mac computers (those with Jamf installed) this update has already been made. For all other Mac computers, find the instructions on how to upgrade Cylance below.
Upgrade Cylance Extensions
- For Mac computers managed by IT (Jamf is installed) - Cylance has been upgraded already.
- For all non-managed Mac computers (Jamf is not installed) - If the Cylance icon (on the top right of the screen) has a red dot over it, or if prompted by macOS, follow the instructions below to allow the System Extensions used in Cylance 2.1.1580.
If the Cylance icon on the top right of the screen has a red dot over it or if prompted by macOS:
1. Open System Preferences2. Select Security & Privacy
3. Click on the lock icon on the bottom left of the window to unlock Security and Privacy settings
4. At the bottom of the window you will see the message asking you to allow CylanceES
5. Click Allow
Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm