Cardinal HCM Employee Self-Service Registration
Cardinal HCM (Human Capital Management) is the statewide HR system. It is operated by the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) and named after the Virginia state bird.
Employees will use Cardinal Employee Self-Service (ESS) only for state employee health benefits and flexible spending elections and confirmations.
Employees must complete a one-time registration process and need two pieces of information for the registration:
- Your Cardinal Employee ID: HR will provide this to employees in a new hire email
- Your W&M Email Address
Please reference the Cardinal Registration Quick Start Guide when completing the registration. Keep the following in mind when you use the guide:
- You should indicate that you are an active state employee.
- W&M is a non-COV agency, so you will need to complete Step 22.
- Banner is the source of the data in Cardinal. If corrections are needed to your name or address, use the instructions/forms under the Miscellaneous heading on the HR Forms webpage. For other data issues, contact [[AskHR]].
Once registered, you can return to my.cardinal.virginia.gov to log in with your username and password. You may want to check out the “Benefit Details” tile and these helpful videos:
- Cardinal ESS: Overview of the Benefit Details Tile
- Cardinal ESS: How to Create a Life Event
- Cardinal ESS: Open Enrollment (available during May only)
When initiating a life event (such as marriage or birth of a child), you may be required to submit supporting documentation. Please see below for further instructions.
Submit Required Health Coverage Documentation with Box Online
Please use the secure Box widget below to provide any required supporting documentation for your healthcare election, such as birth letter or marriage certificate.
Use the following naming convention "lastname.firstname.93" (example: Jefferson.Thomas.930000000). This will ensure that documents are categorized accurately and efficiently.
See full listing of required documentation on the DHRM website for more information.
The Department of Human Resources Management will mail employees information about upcoming changes to the health plans, cost information for the plans, and instructions on making changes.
Open enrollment for health coverage will begin in May 2022. During this period, employees have the opportunity to make changes to their health plan and flexible spending accounts, which will be effective for the plan year July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023.
About Box Online
Box is William & Mary's file sharing, file storage and collaboration platform. It provides a simple, secure way for faculty and staff to store and share files online. Box is a one-way secure portal that allows you to upload your documents to University Human Resources.