The Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) must be completed each time someone is hired to perform labor or services in the United States in return for wages or other remuneration.
Any individual responsible for completion of the employer portion of this form should be familiar with the I-9 process and is responsible for ensuring the form is completed prior to, or no later than, the employee's first work day. A user guide is available for your reference.
Completion of I9s during COVID-19
After further discussion and acquiring additional information below is HR’s guidance on completing I-9s during this time. The university has acquired a blanket amount of I-9 Anywhere but once these are used the department will be charged $19.98 per I-9 Anywhere.
- New Employees (local)– Department should complete I-9 using social distancing or contact HR for assistance.
- New Employees (off-site) – I-9 Anywhere will be used. Please provide required information (see below) to askHR@wm.edu.
- Students/Interns (on-campus) – If you know when a student is coming to campus to clean out their dorm room, the department should try to schedule a time to complete the I-9 using social distancing or contact HR for assistance.
- Students (off-campus) – I-9 Anywhere will be used. Please provide required information (see below) to askHR@wm.edu .
Steps to complete I-9's Remotely during COVID-19
- When requesting an I-9 Anywhere you need to provide the new hire’s name, email address, postal code and hire date.
- You will also need to provide the name, email address and contact phone number of the individual who will be verifying the I-9 documents (I-9 Completer).
- The person verifying cannot be a family relation.
- The new hire will receive an email from E-Verify with email address of the W&M HR contact. It will have detailed information on how to fill out Section 1 and provide a Receipt Code that the new hire will have to provide to the I-9 Completer.
- Once HR has the information pertaining to the Completer, they will be established as a I-9 Completer User in the I-9 system.
- To access Section 2, the I-9 Completer will need the Receipt Code, and a password that HR will create. HR will email them once the User information is set up.
Access to the Electronic I-9 Verification System
William & Mary requires that employees who will be verifying I-9s to complete training before requesting access to E-Verify, the electronic I-9 verification system. The training and requests are contained in Cornerstone. Log in with your W&M ID and password. In the search box, type "I9" with no hyphen.
In order for the items to appear on your transcript, you must "request" them. You can view the materials by viewing the training details and clicking on the hyperlink in the resources section.
Deadlines for Completion of the I-9
W&M requires the employee to complete Section 1 of the I-9 no later than three business days after hire date. The employee has to present original documents to prove identity and authorization to work in the United States. If the prospective employee does not bring documents needed to complete the I-9 verification process by the first day of work, the person cannot begin work and cannot be put on payroll.
A designated representative of the university must view the documents and complete Section 2 of the I-9 prior to or no later than three business days after hire date. There are no exceptions to this policy and under no circumstances will the prospective employee be allowed to start employment until the I-9 form is completed.
Risk of Non-Compliance
Failure to properly complete, retain, and/or make available for inspection I-9 forms as required by law, may result in civil monetary or criminal penalties. If the university receives a fine or penalty because of I-9 non-compliance, the cost of such fine will be charged to the department and/or school responsible for not completing the I-9 accurately or within the federal time limits.