The long term disability insurance plan is administered by The Standard and is provided by W&M after you complete one year of permanent employment. Should you become disabled, benefits would begin after six months (180 days) of disability. Benefits are paid at the rate of 60% of your monthly salary (not to exceed $6,000.00 per month) less the amount of benefits from other sources (such as Worker's Compensation or Social Security Disability). W&M picks up 60% of the premium and you would pay 40%. The current cost is .171% of your annual salary divided by 12.
Salary $50,000/12 months=$4,166.67 salary per month x .171%
$7.13 Total Premium
60% x $7.13 = $4.28 Employer Premium
40% x $7.13 = $2.85 Employee Premium or $1.43 per paycheck
Full-time Instructional, Administrators and Professional faculty are eligible to sign up after they have been employed for twelve months. If the faculty member does not enroll, coverage is automatically waived.
- Medical Disability/Sick Leave and Family Personal Comparison
- Long Term Disability Enrollment/Waiver Form (pdf)
- Long Term Disability Claim Packet
- Long Term Disability Certificate (pdf)
Change Due to Employee Promotion, Job Status, etc.
- Classified/Operational to Faculty: Coverage begins, if elected, on the date of conversion to a faculty position.
- Faculty to Classified/Operational: Coverage stops at the end of the month in which the employee converts to a full-time classified/operational position.
Termination of Employment
Coverage stops at the end of the month in which the employee terminates employment. Long-term disability may not be continued after termination or retirement.