Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Surplus Property

Fixed Assets Management manages all surplus property.  Surplus property that is not needed for re-use within the university is disposed of in the manner that yields the greatest return to William and Mary.  Surplus property may be publicly auctioned. William and Mary currently utilizes Gov Deals at  Surplus property determined to be "scrap" is sent to the landfill. 

Storage of Surplus Items

The Fixed Assets Management Team accepts surplus items by appointment only. Furniture items are accepted at 4010 Ironbound Road Mini Storage if delivered by departments on Tuesdays by appointment. Electronic equipment, computers, monitors, printers and scientific items are accepted on Tuesdays if delivered by departments to 301 Tennis Court Road by appointment. Please contact Chris Morgan at 757-221-2055 or by email [[clmorgan]] to schedule an appointment. Please forward completed Equipment Transaction Requested- Surplus & Room Changes by email when scheduling an appointment.

Procedure for Removal of Surplus Property

William & Mary property that is considered to be inadequate, excess or unwanted by a department should be disposed of through the surplus property process. An Equipment Transaction Form-Surplus & Room Change Form, declaring the item as surplus, must be completed and forwarded to Fixed Assets Management for final approval. The form is to be completed for each type of removal transaction to surplus, whether the transfer is to be by the department or by Facilities Management Moving and Storage. Once Fixed Assets Management receives the completed form, removal of the item(s) will be scheduled and the department will be notified. For further information regarding surplus property, please contact Chris Morgan (757-221-2055) or [[clmorgan]].

All equipment with a fixed asset tag is required by William & Mary to be maintained in the Banner fixed assets system. Please complete and submit an Equipment Transaction Form-Surplus & Room Change for all items with an asset tag that have been relocated, lost or stolen, or transferred.  Once the form is completed, please submit to Chris Morgan at [[clmorgan]] or 757-221-2055. 

W&M Surplus Property Available to General Public- Gov Deals

William & Mary surplus property is available for purchase by the general public. William & Mary and affiliated employees of other College locations may purchase the College’s saleable surplus via the auction site.

There are three guidelines specific to College and State employees.

  • Employees of William and Mary may bid on the property listed for auction, so long as they do NOT bid while on duty.
  • Employees’ bids for any single item can NOT exceed $500 (Code of Virginia 2.2-3110, the Conflict of Interest Act). If an employee’s bid exceeds $500, the employee will be blocked from all future bidding on Govdeals.
  • In accordance with State/Local Sales and/or Use Tax, buyers may be subject to payment of State and/or local sales and/or use tax. Generally, sales tax will be collected at the time of sale except in the case of vehicles where sales tax is collected by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at the time of registration. Buyers are responsible for contacting the appropriate tax office, completing any forms, and paying any taxes that may be imposed.

The instructions to register are VERY easy.

  1. Go to
    • Click on Register, located in the red navigational bar.
    • Follow the online prompt instructions. To view W&M surplus

If you have any questions regarding William & Mary’s surplus items, please contact Chris Morgan via e- mail at [[clmorgan]].

Surplus Locations:

Furniture items:  4010 Ironbound Road Mini Storage 
Electronic equipment, computers, monitors, printers and scientific items: 301 Tennis Court Road