Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to study abroad?

Yes, transfer students are eligible to study abroad. Join the more than 600 W&M students who study overseas every year, and spend a summer, semester, or full academic year on the program of your choice.

Can I withdraw from a course at any point in the semester?

After the add/drop period, students may withdraw with a grade of "W" from a course through the ninth week of classes. The exact deadline is available on the semester combined calendar. Students who withdraw from one or more courses must maintain a course load of at least 12 credits and must follow procedures established by the Office of the University Registrar. No other withdrawals are permitted without the approval of the Committee on Academic Status. Petition forms are available in the Dean of Students Office. Students without an approved underload who withdraw below the 12 credit hour minimum will be put back into the class(es).

How do I become involved on campus?

The Office of Student Activities is a great resource for becoming engaged with the campus. This office is the hub for clubs and organizations, Greek life and programming board.  The Office of Community Engagement is the place to get involved in community service and service learning.

How do I buy a parking pass, and where can I park?

Register your motor vehicleswith Parking Services. If you'll be studying at VIMS you can also register at the Watermen's Hall Registration Desk. We'll issue you decal or permit, designated for specific groups of spaces on campus. The purchase of this decal does not guarantee a specific parking space. Decals are effective for the school year, from the date of issue through August 31 of the following calendar year. We issue temporary permits, as appropriate.

How do I register for classes?

The Office of the University Registrar coordinates registration for new students. You'll register up to a maximum of 11 credit hours during the pre-registration phase prior to arriving on campus. When you come to campus for New Student Orientation, you'll have the opportunity to adjust your schedule and register for additional credits. Continuing students are invited to register for their courses in April for the fall semester and in November for the spring semester. Registration priority is based on academic classification. Complete registration instructions apply to October for the spring semester and in March for summer school and fall semester.

How many students transfer to William & Mary each year?

Over the years, the number of transfer students entering William & Mary has increased substantially. For example, in the fall of 2007, 192 of the 1346 (14.2%) new students were transfers. This percentage has increased in each of the last years.

I need help with time management, test prep and note taking. Where can I find this?

Check out our Academic Support program.

What assistance can I receive for my accessibility needs?

Check out Accessibility Services.

What are ways to make friends and develop a social network on campus?

Get involved! Sign up for clubs and service trips, apply for leadership positions and take full advantage of every opportunity available on campus.

What happens if I can't take a final at the scheduled time?

Final examinations are rescheduled or deferred only for extraordinary and compelling reasons.

If you have three scheduled final examinations in three consecutive exam periods on consecutive days, if you've got two examinations scheduled for the same time or if you wishes to take an examination with a different section of the same course, file a request to reschedule a final examination with the Dean of Undergraduate Studies through the Office of Academic Advising, Swem Library, Rm. 169.

All other requests for exceptions to the examination schedule are considered as requests to defer a final examination. File these request with the Dean of Students Office, located in the Campus Center, Room 109.

What is the minimum number of credit hours to be considered a full time student?

Students at the College of William & Mary are expected to remain enrolled full-time throughout their academic career. A full-time degree student must register for at least 12 and not more than 18 credits each semester. The normal load for a student planning to graduate with a degree in four years is 15 academic credits per semester, or 30 credits each academic year.

Will I be eligible for on-campus housing?

We're able to provide housing to a limited number of transfer students. The spots available are generally awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Find out more about the Room Selection Process from Residence Life.

Will my GPA from my previous institution transfer with me?

No. Transfer grades do not affect degree requirements, grade point average or class rank.