Conduct of the Hearing
The conduct of the hearing is the responsibility of the chair and generally proceeds as follows:
- The chair introduces the members of the Board and summarizes any special situations pertinent to the case or the hearing.
- The charged party enters a response to each charge under review (either "responsible" or "not responsible").
- The case administrator will brief the Board on the charges and the nature of the case.
- The case administrator will introduce the evidence and question the relevant witnesses present.
- Following the questioning of each witness, the Board and then the charged party will be invited to question the witness.
- The charged party then may provide the student's perspective on the matters under review, introduce evidence, and present and question witnesses. The chair can inquire regarding the relevance of proposed testimony and may limit the number of witnesses permitted if the chair deems the proposed testimony irrelevant or redundant.
- The Board and case administrator then can question the charged student and any witnesses.
- At the conclusion of this presentation of evidence, the case administrator and the charged party are provided the opportunity to present brief summary remarks to the Board.
- The Board then convenes in closed session to deliberate regarding a judgment on each charge.
Following the finding of responsibility on at least one charge, the Board will, time permitted, move immediately into a Sanctions hearing:
- The case administrator provides the student's prior disciplinary record, if any.
- The student may introduce character witnesses; the chair may limit the number of character witnesses (generally a maximum of two character witnesses are permitted).
- The Board may question the student regarding the facts and circumstances of the offense and any relevant factors that may have affected the student at the time of the offense.
- The case administrator provides a recommended sanction to the Board.
- The Board then convenes in private to determine the appropriate sanction(s) (time permitting).
- The Office of Student Conduct notifies the student of the sanctions the next business day.