If you've looked at the bulletin board across from the Watson Lab recently, you may have noticed our new "Did you know?" display, featuring some interesting facts and statistics about disability awareness. For more trivia, read on!
Did you know?
- More than 50 million Americans report some level of disability, with 35 million reporting severe disability
- 20.9% of Virginians report some level of disability, 2% higher than the national figure
- The Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law on July 26, 1990
- The Virginians with Disabilities Act was signed into law five years earlier, in 1985
- In 2009, October was named Virginia Disability History and Awareness Month
Just for fun
- Can you name these celebrities with disabilities?
- The More You Know...
- Just a few of the amazing things accomplished by individuals with disabilities every day:
- Tony Melendez plays "Let it be" and makes a basket with a frisbee
- 2008 Paralympic athlete with one leg competes in the long jump
- Blind artist Michael Naranjo sculpts and has created an organization to help visually impaired individuals experience art
- Evelyn Glennie performs internationally as a percussionist, and is profoundly deaf. She is also about to attempt climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro