Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Health Policies

Health History and Immunization Record

Virginia State law requires all full-time students enrolling for the first time in a four-year public institution to provide a health history and an official immunization record. The university further requires all full-time students (including previously matriculated students) and any other student eligible for services, as determined by their department, to provide documentation of meeting the immunization requirements within the twelve months preceding their initial enrollment. The Health Center will not accept the form if the physician completing and signing the form is a family member.

Previously enrolled students entering a new program as full-time students after an absence from campus of greater than two years must re-submit Section I, the Health History portion of the health form and Section III, the Tuberculosis Screening Section of the health form and align with current immunization standards. If the absence from campus is greater than 6 years, then the student will need to revalidate the immunization requirements via the University’s Health Evaluation Form.

The university will place a hold on the student’s Banner account if a student is not in full compliance with these requirements. This hold will prevent registration for classes or receipt of a transcript, and will result in denial of non-urgent medical care at the Student Health Center, assessment of a tiered late fee, and the University may remove the student from residence halls and/or be from campus (depending on the nature of the medical issue).

In order to protect the health of all members of the community, in the event of a vaccine-preventable disease occurring on campus, the university, in cooperation with state requirements, will likely remove the student from classes, on-campus residence, and/or the campus.

Insurance Requirement

The University requires all full-time undergraduate, graduate and professional students and all F-1 & J-1 international students to have adequate health insurance coverage throughout the school year as a condition of enrollment. These students will be enrolled in the university-endorsed Student Insurance Plan, and the cost will be billed to their student accounts in two installments (fall and spring semester) UNLESS the student furnishes proof of other adequate health insurance coverage. Full-time students who already have health insurance for the entire academic year must submit a Waiver Request by the posted deadline each academic year, and the waiver must be approved to avoid being enrolled in the Student Insurance Plan. Full-time students who want to enroll in the university-endorsed Student Insurance Plan must submit an enrollment form by the posted deadline each academic term to ensure their timely enrollment and billing of the Health Insurance Policy charge.

It is the student's responsibility to verify whether the university has billed the charge to the student’s account. If there is a billing error, the student should contact the Student Insurance Coordinator immediately. To access the waiver or enrollment request forms and for more information about the insurance requirement or the university-endorsed insurance plan, please visit

Tobacco, Nicotine Vapor Products, Alternative Nicotine Products, and Smoking

The Commonwealth of Virginia outlaws the possession of tobacco products, nicotine vapor products, and alternative vapor products (i.e., vapes) by persons under the age of 21. Additionally, the university prohibits smoking by anyone in any university building or within 25 feet of the entrance of any building.

Reportable Diseases

In the event a student is diagnosed as having a transmittable disease which must be reported to the State Department of Health, the university reserves the right to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether it should establish conditions to limit or prohibit the student’s continued participation in the university community in the interest of public health and/or the health of the student. The Director of the Student Health Service is empowered to make this decision with consultation as appropriate. Specific conditions may include, but will not be limited to, periodic medical/counseling procedures, confinement to the Student Health Center, reassignment, or removal from the residence halls, and/or a medical withdrawal from the university. If, in the opinion of the Director, the student’s situation requires the immediate exclusion from the residence halls or the campus, the university will consider such action temporary until the student has an opportunity to receive a full review of the matter by the Director of the Student Health Service. For a list of reportable diseases to which this policy may apply, see the Virginia Department of Health web site.

Medical and Emotional Emergencies

The university has a Medical/Emotional Emergency Policy (MEEP) to maintain the safety of individual students, as well as the community. The Medical/Emotional Emergency Policy will be used by the University if a student displays aberrant behaviors indicative of severe medical and/or psychological distress, such as, attempting suicide, making a threat or gesture of suicide, harming, or attempting to harm self or others, psychological/medical hospitalization and/or a medical emergency. Anyone with knowledge of such circumstances should contact the Dean of Students, 221-2510; Residence Life Staff, (757) 221-4314; Counseling Center/WMCC Clinician (757-221-4596) or Campus Police, 221-4596.

Following a medical or psychological crisis, the student must demonstrate that they are no longer in crisis and has taken sufficient steps to address the underlying physical/ psychological concerns, which led to the crisis before the student can return to a rigorous college environment. Once the university initiates the Medical/Emotional Emergency policy, the university must make a safety determination following individualized assessment and treatment. While assessment is ongoing, the University may limit the affected student’s ability to return to campus, to include attending classes, college activities, and/or returning to a residence hall.

Taking time away from the university to address urgent medical and emotional concerns in compliance with this policy does not necessitate negative academic consequences. The Dean of Students Office will take reasonable measures and may allow students to return to school with the same academic standing once health is restored. Students/families are responsible for the costs of their medical care.

Notification of support systems may be necessary in order to ensure the safety of students, to comply with state laws, and address immigration and NCAA compliance regulations. Parental or guardian notification and involvement is necessary in order to ensure the safety of students, and to comply with state law. In situations, involving international students the International Travel and Security Manager will be notified to assist with immigration and cultural concerns. Athletics with be contacted through the Director of Sport Medicine in effort to address concerns related to compliance and NCAA regulations. Only the Dean of Students or the Vice President for Student Affairs may decide not to involve parents/guardians and/or related offices.

Failure to comply with the provisions of the university Medical/Emotional Emergency Policy may result in disciplinary action through the Code of Conduct.