The TutorZone accepts applications on a rolling basis, and tutors are hired as needed throughout the semester. If the TutorZone is not currently in need of tutors in a particular area, applications recieved for that area are kept on file and referred to in the event that a position becomes available.
Current Tutor Needs
The TutorZone is currently looking for students to tutor the following courses:
- Arabic, all levels
- BUAD 323
- CHEM, upper-level courses
- CSCI 141, 241 & 243
- ECON 303, 304, 307 & 308
- Geology, all levels
- KINE, upper-level courses
- Math 104 & 106
- Physics 107 & 108
- Complete a Tutor Application and Availability Schedule Form (pdf)
- Have a Faculty Recommendation Form (pdf) or email recommendation submitted by a faculty member from each subject area that you wish to tutor
All materials should be emailed to email@example.com from William & Mary email accounts or faxed to 757-221-2538. Electronic signatures are accepted.
Applications are reviewed once all materials are recieved. Applicants will be notified whether they have been selected for an interview or if their application has been filed for future consideration.
- Minimum overall W&M GPA of 3.0 (3.5 or higher strongly preferred)
- Courses to tutor must have been taken at W&M (some exceptions)
- Courses to tutor must have a grade of B+ or higher (grade of A preferred)
- Excellent communication skills
- A personal and professional commitment to academic integrity
- Previous tutoring experience appreciated but not required
Preference is given to applicants with a larger number and variety of courses to tutor.
Students are not be hired to tutor during their freshman year unless there is an urgent need for tutors in a particular course. Generally, applications from freshman students are filed for future consideration.
- So as not to impact their own academic performance, tutors have control over their tutoring availability and the number of hours they tutor. However, tutors are expected to maintain a reasonable number of available hours through the exam periods, and notify TutorZone staff of any major changes to regularly scheduled availability.
- Tutors attend scheduled tutor training sessions and meetings.
- Tutors learn and utilize the 4-Step Tutoring Approach employed by the TutorZone.
- Tutors maintain a friendly demeanor and positive attitude while tutoring.
- Tutors adhere to the W&M Code of Honor and sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
- Tutors respect and care for the space and materials of the TutorZone.
- Tutors reply promptly to staff communications and keep accurate payroll records.
Tutors are paid $7.25 per hour for tutoring, which is the university set student minimum wage. Federal Work-Study students are encouraged to apply.
The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age in the administration of educational policies, programs or activities, admission policies and procedures, scholarship and loan prgrams, employment, recreational, athletic, or other college-administered programs.
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org