Significant proposed policies and policy revisions are published here, in draft form, for campus comment, as part of W&M's Policy Program.
- defines standard work schedules for university staff
- allows for alternate work schedules to be developed
- specifies rules for employees working and being compensated for overtime
- specifies rules for lunch and breaks.
The Hours of Work and Overtime Policy does NOT change employees' rights to be compensated for overtime; under the proposed policy, non-exempt employees will continue to earn overtime at the rate of 1.5 times their regular pay for time worked in excess of 40 hours per work week. The Policy is designed to confirm and clarify existing practice and ensure compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The On-Call Policy. The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines to department and unit heads, managers, and supervisors regarding the process and procedures to be followed for Hourly and Operational non-exempt employees who are required to maintain their availability after hours and be on-call to come back to work or to otherwise be available to respond to emergency situations on campus. Under the Policy, employees who are on-call earn one hour of pay for every 8 hours of on-call status, if they are not called to duty. Employees who are called to duty while on-call are entitled to pay for actual time worked or overtime if earned.
Proposed revisions to the Classification Policy and the Compensation Policy for Professional and Operational Employees will be available for campus review and comment until October 20, 2016.
Policies Under Review or Finalization
These are policies previously proposed and being finalized, or current W&M policies that are being reviewed and may be updated, revised, or eliminated.
- Policy on Financial Conflict of Interest. This policy was adopted in 1995 and has not been updated. Proposed revisions are underway.
- Student Sexual Misconduct Procedure. The procedure was adopted in interim form in 2015, and is being finalized, with a target completion date of Fall 2016.
Return to Work Policy. This policy is reviewed periodically.
Ideas for New Policies or Significant Revisions
This is a non-exhaustive list of new policies that are being drafted, considered, or planned. They may or may not come into being. If you have questions or suggestions about these policies, please contact the Office of Compliance & Equity.
- Policy on employee contact with federal and state government officials.
- Lactation policy (policy relating to employees or students breastfeeding children or expressing milk). There is a website with information on pregancy and lactation rights and resources.
- Policy on FMLA leave.
- Outside food sourcing policy (under development by Auxiliary Services).