Proposed Policies and Regulations
Significant proposed policies, regulations and policy revisions or amendments are published here, in draft form, for campus comment, as part of W&M's Policy Program.1. The university is proposing revisions to the Violence and Threat Management Policy. The revisions are posted for campus notice and comment. The purpose of the policy is to keep members of the university community safe. The policy helps the university comply with the Virginia Threat Assessment Law and the Clery Act. The revisions provide updates to the Threat Assessment Team membership, add detail regarding the threat assessment process, revise definitions to conform with the Sexual Misconduct Policy, and clarify the relationship of TAT to disciplinary processes.
2. Annual revisions to the Student Sexual Misconduct Procedure and the Sexual Misconduct Policy will be posted in May 2018 for campus review and comment.
Policies adopted within the past six month are highlighted below.
Policies Under Review or Finalization
These are policies previously proposed and being finalized, or current W&M policies that are being reviewed and may be updated, revised, or eliminated.
- The Policy on Conflict of Interest was posted for campus notice and comment this spring and is currently being finalized.
- The policy’s main purpose is to communicate existing rules regarding conflicts of interest. By gathering and explaining these rules in a single policy, employees will be better able to understand them and avoid conflicts of interest.
- The policy also impose some new requirements. For example: (1) employees who have a family or other conflict relationship with a student or other employee are required to disclose that to their supervisor, so that the conflict can be managed, (2) employees who have a conflict of interest covered by the Virginia conflict of interest law are required to disclose that internally, to a new conflict of interest committee, for review.
- The policy, as proposed, does not apply to faculty.
- The policy establishes a conflicts committee to review conflict situations that are reported internally and to support staff and administrators.
- The proposed Family and Medical Leave Act Policy was available for review until September 18. It is now being finalized. This policy ensures that the university complies with the Family and Medical Leave Act, which guarantees eligible employees with unpaid leave in certain situations.
Ideas for New Policies or Significant Revisions
This is a non-exhaustive list of new policies that are being drafted, considered, or planned. They may or may not come into being. If you have questions or suggestions about these policies, please contact the Office of Compliance & Equity.
- Policy on employee contact with federal and state government officials. Under development by the Office of Governmental Affairs.
- Licensing policy. Under Development by the Licensing Office (Auxiliary Services).