Proposed Policies and Regulations
Significant proposed policies, regulations and policy revisions or amendments are published here, in draft form, for campus comment, as part of W&M's Policy Program.
- The Smoking Policy has been updated and has expanded the definition of smoking to include e-cigarettes and vaping. The policy is available for review and comment through February 24, 2019.
Policies adopted within the past six month are highlighted below.
- The Financial and Administrative Policy and Procedures for Formation and Operations of Centers Policy has been implemented by the office of the Provost effective January 16, 2019. It sets forth the policies and procedures by which Centers formed to facilitate achievement of the university’s instructional, research, and outreach missions are to be organized and operated.
- The Employee Background Checks Procedure was amended by the Provost effective November 15, 2018 to expand the requirement for background checks as a condition of employment to adjunct faculty members. Adjunct faculty currently under contract will not be subject to this requirement unless and until they are offered a new contract.
The Policy for Travel to University Advisory Countries was amended effective August 1, 2018 in response to changes in the State Department Travel Warning System.
The Permanent Residency Policy has been amended and will be implemented January 1, 2019.
- The Policy on Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalkingg was amended effective August 22, 2018 to (1) expand the discussion of intoxication and consent, (2) modify the amnesty provision, (3) modify the description of interim measures, and (4) update contact information.
- The Student Sexual Harassment and Misconduct Grievance/Complaint Procedure was amended effective August 22, 2018 to 1) reduce (shorten) timelines for a number of process steps, (2) create an independent Deciding Official role, replacing a process for review and response to a preliminary investigation report with a determination conference held by the Deciding Official when deemed appropriate, and separating the role of determination of sanctions and remedies from the role of determination of policy violation, (3) specify the obligation of the Title IX Coordinator to determine whether a hostile environment has been created, (4) modify the provision regarding parties’ decision whether to participate in an investigation, (5) make conforming changes regarding sanctions (conforming to changes in terminology used by Student Conduct) and expanding the list of secondary sanctions.
- The Violence and Threat Management Policy was amended effective June 22, 2018, including updates to TAT membership, revisions of definitions to conform with the Sexual Misconduct Policy, addition of detail regarding the threat assessment process, and clarification of the relationship of TAT to disciplinary processes.
- A regulation regarding Open Flames on Campus was published with the Virginia Register of Regulations in July 2018. The regulation (i) establishes the limitations on the presence of open flames in university buildings or on university property and (ii) imposes the requirement for a permit for certain activities involving open burning or open flames..
Policies Under Review or Finalization
These are policies previously proposed and being finalized, or current W&M policies that are being reviewed and may be updated, revised, or eliminated.
- Proposed revisions to the Performance Planning and Evaluation Policy for Staff Employees were available for review and comment until July 19, 2018. This policy establishes a system for (1) setting performance goals and objectives as well as career development goals; (2) monitoring staff employee progress, providing constructive feedback and evaluating performance; and (3) aligning performance plans with the university’s and units’ strategic plan to the extent practical. The policy is now being finalized.
Ideas for New Policies or Significant Revisions
This is a non-exhaustive list of new policies that are being drafted, considered, or planned. They may or may not come into being. If you have questions or suggestions about these policies, please contact the Office of Compliance & Equity.
- Policy on employee contact with federal and state government officials. Under development by the Office of Governmental Affairs.
- Licensing policy. Under Development by the Licensing Office (Auxiliary Services).