William & Mary fosters a campus environment where all members of our community feel safe, welcome, respected and supported. William & Mary is dedicated to providing an inclusive and flexible living, working and learning environment for transgender and gender non-binary students, faculty, and staff. This page provides resources for our LGBTQ community members, their friends, family and allies.
Unless otherwise constrained by law, William & Mary is committed to providing an environment for its students and employees that is free from discrimination based on any personal factor unrelated to qualifications or performance including sex or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, or family medical or genetic information. This statement summarizes our full Policy on Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation, which protects LGBTQ students, faculty and staff from disparate treatment or harassment on the basis of their sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or gender.
If you believe you or someone else has been discriminated against or harassed in violation of this policy, there are options for you to make a report and get help.
W&M's Sexual Misconduct Policy also protects everyone, regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation, from unwanted sexual contact and gender-based interpersonal (relationship) violence. Please visit the sexual violence website for more information.
Restroom Policy; Showers and Locker Rooms
At W&M, people are free to use the bathroom dedicated to the gender that they identify with. This means, for example, that a transgender man may use the men's room. W&M also has many all-gender restrooms and showers on campus - visit the Center for Student Diversity website to learn more including to see a list of these facilities.
The EEOC provides a fact sheet on bathroom access rights for transgender employees under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII applies to all federal, state and local government agencies in their capacity as employers, and to all private employers with 15 or more employees.
Preferred Name and Gender Identity
At W&M students have the right to be called by the name they prefer and to request the gender identity they prefer. For interactions on campus, students can expect to be addressed by their preferred name. Please note that we are required to record a student's legal name on formal records (to match with federal databases) so that we can ensure smooth processing of paychecks, financial aid, and enrollment verifications. Students may record their preferred name in Banner via the Personal Information Questionnaire by logging into my.wm.edu.
Campus Resources for Students, Faculty and Staff
- Flexible Housing
- Ally Program (Safe Zone)
- Student Organizations
- Center for Student Diversity
- William & Mary Gay and Lesbian Alumni Organization
- EqualityWM (Faculty & Staff)
- Equality Virginia, a statewide, non-partisan lobbying, education and support network for the LGBTQ and straight allied communities in Virginia.
- James River Transgender Society, a support group for individuals who identify as transgendered or have gender identity issues.
- Campus Pride, a national online community and resource network committed to student leaders and campus organizations who work to create a safer campus environment.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), a national non-profit organization that promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends.
- Out and Equal, is the preeminent national organization devoted to the LGBTQ community in the workplace.
- Equaldex is a collaborative LGBTQ knowledge base for those who may be traveling internationally.
This page last updated February 2017