The below changes to Parking & Transportation on campus are the result of many months of work by the Parking Advisory Committee reviewing and considering recommendations for improvement from the 2013 & 2019 Walker Study. These changes have in turn been approved for implementation between July 1st and Sep 1st by the Executive Leadership Team of the College.
The W&M Executive Leadership Team has approved 3 of the Parking Advisory Committee & Walker Parking Recommendations for immediate implementation as a phase 1 approach to the changes. Phase 2 contains additional measures designed to continue to improve the parking experience for our customers. Phase 2 will be held for FY22 or possibly FY23. There are additional budget considerations and we may need a second year to establish consistency before making additional adjustments.
Change 1 - Primarily moves Resident Student parking out of core of campus and realigns Day Commuter parking into larger collectives.
- Grad Plex residents will no longer be authorized to drive across campus to park on level 2 & 3 of the deck on Ukrop Way.
- The Zable Stadium lot will change over in it's entirety to Faculty & Staff parking.
Change 2 - Convert 154 spaces in designated areas for daily use by campus guests and non-affiliated visitors. These visitor areas will be managed through the use of the Passport Pay-by-phone app, with at least one kiosk for people not comfortable paying by phone
- Kaplan lots are designated as visitor parking for special events during normal business hours
- Discontinue departmental issue and use as much as possible of scratcher passes. All guests will be referred to the nearest visitor parking area.
- Discontinue set aside of parking in primary Faculty, Staff, or Student areas. Department event coordinators should contact parking when a set aside is required. These allocations will be scheduled in the nearest designated visitor area. For more information email Parked@wm.edu or Wxhora@wm.edu
- Faculty, Staff, and Students may not park in designated visitor areas, those affiliations who should must purchase the appropriate decal or shorter term parking pass.
- Effective Sep 1st the following areas will be designated for visitor parking (24/7/365):
- Morton Lot - 25 spaces
- Rear Swem Lot - 18 spaces
- Compton Lot - 10 spaces (upon completion of renovation)
- Old Dominion lot - 35 spaces
- Dawson Circle - 25 spaces
- Admissions Lot - 25 spaces
- Ewell Circle - 6 spaces
- Law School Circle - 10 spaces
Change 3 - Establish In-house shuttle routes to compliment the WATA Green line (Route 8) and provide frequent and consistent access to areas not served by the larger bus.
- This change is on hold until our COVID response posture allows passenger seating limits to be lifted. The current limit of 3 passengers renders the service innefficient and impractical to run at this time.