Our application form is now available.
If you are a returning Peer Advisor, you should complete this form by January 30, 2019. If you have never been a Peer Advisor at W&M, your application is due by February 18, 2019. We will hold interviews in mid-February.
General Job Description
Peer Advisors are upper-class students drawn from a variety of academic departments who assist incoming freshman and transfer students in the registration process before and during orientation. They continue to support students throughout their first academic year. They work under the direction of W&M's Office of Academic Advising to teach new students about academic policies and resources. With the OAA and faculty, they form part of the advising network that supports William & Mary's undergraduates.
- Cumulative 2.5 GPA or above
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse student, faculty, and staff populations
- Capacity for discretion, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and maturity; we are looking for rising sophomores, sophomores, rising juniors, juniors rising seniors and seniors
- Extensive knowledge of W&M, including academic support systems, and how to navigate academic departments
- Successfully passing a review of the applicants’ judicial and/or honor records provided by the Dean of Students Office
Training and Attendance
In order to serve as a Peer Advisor you must sign the Peer Advisor Contract. Signing the Peer Advisor Contract signifies an acceptance of the position and all the duties and responsibilities it entails, including
- participating in Advisor/Leadership workshop sessions held April 10-11, 2019
- online training as needed,
- assisting incoming new students with the on-line College Studies course over the summer,
- attending orientation training held August 22-23, and
- attending new student orientation August 23-27.