Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Your Theatre Major Advisor

The Department of Theatre, Speech & Dance has an open advising program.  When you decide to pursue a Theatre Major, you may approach any full-time faculty member to be your advisor.  Most likely you’ll wish to work with someone who shares one of your areas of interest.  Make an appointment with that faculty member and review the requirements for the major and how you will go about meeting them.  You are required to declare your major by the end of your sophomore year.  Early planning will help you determine the best order to take your coursework and complete your practicums.

Once you complete the form to declare your major, your advisor will sign it, and you may deliver it to the Registrar.

Your advisor of record is not the only person you should seek out.  Different faculty have different areas of expertise and different approaches to Honors theses, independent studies, study abroad programs, graduate study, and career options.  Make connections to as many faculty members in the department as you like to help you pursue your goals.

Information regarding suggested theatre courses, progressions, and declaring a minor
What courses should I take in my Freshman and Sophomore years if I am considering a Theatre Major?

Introduction to Theatre -- THEA 200
Beginning Acting - THEA 201
Stagecraft - THEA 205
Fundamentals of Design - THEA 300
Survey of Theatre History from 500 B.C. to 1750 - THEA 328
Survey of Theatre History from 1750 to the present - THEA 329
A Dance course
Electives in your area(s) of interest for future practicums

Progression of design courses

Please note that Stagecraft and Fundamentals of Design are important to complete as pre-requisites for the required design course in your area of interest.  Introduction to Stage Lighting is also necessary for those pursing the Lighting Design course.  Costume Construction is strongly recommended for those pursuing the Costume Design course. 

How to declare your Theatre Minor

You may declare your minor at anytime.  You do not need to have a formal advisor to declare a minor, however we recommend that you meet with a faculty member to make sure you are clear about the requirements. When you are ready to declare your minor, fill out the Declaration Form below and deliver it to the Department Chair for a signature.  After the form has been signed, take it to the Registrar's Office and the minor will be added to your record.