Collecting diapers November 1st - 30th!
The Healthy Beginnings Project is hosting a Daiper Drive for the month of November!
Did You Know?
- This area's closest diaper banks are located over an hour away from Williamsburg.
- In Williamsburg 18.4% of residents live below the poverty level which is 7% more than the Virginia average. (U.S. Census Bureau, 2012).
- The poverty level is almost double the amount of those receiving social services benefits (10.2%) in Williamsburg (University of Virginia, 2014).
- 8.9% of residents in Williamsburg are considered "food insecure", meaning they lack access to enough food for a healthy lifestyle and at times are uncertain when they will be able to afford their next meal. (Feeding America, 2011).
- Williamsburg has the second highest rates in the state of Virginia of children living in poverty (22.7%) behind Newport News (23.3%). (Kids Count Data Book, 2009).
You can help by donating diapers at any of the following locations on/near campus:- Old Dominion Hall, Child and Family Studies Center
-Psychology Department, ISC 1137-The Williamsburg Campus Child Care Center (114 Grigsby Drive)
- The Hoke House (220 Jamestown Road). - The Law Library (front desk).
- SWEM Library.
- The Williamsburg Co-Op Preschool (1333 Jamestown Rd.)
- Donate online on our Amazon Wishlist!
- 5.9 million babies age three or younger live in poor or low-income families.
- 1 of 3 families struggle to buy diapers and they cannot be purchased with WIC or SNAP assistance.
- Parents are often forced to reuse diapers leading to diaper rash and urinary tract infections placing a strain on our healthcare systems.
- Childcare requires moms to provide a day's supply of diapers or they are turned away keeping moms from being able to work.
Donate ANYTIME, ANYWHERE using our Amazon Wishlist!
Ship to: Care of The Healthy Beginnings Project
Department of Psychology
College of William and Mary
ISC Room 1137
540 Landrum Dr.
Receiving a donation:
If you are interested in receiving a donation, please fill out our diaper request form or contact us and be prepared to show evidence of eligibility (e.g., evidence that you are currently enrolled in TANF and/or Medicaid).