The W&M Pre-College Summer Program is a truly unique college experience. Students will dive deep into American history learning about the people, places, and events that shaped this nation, and they will also develop skills and resources that will take them beyond their high school years.
Students who attend the W&M Pre-College Summer Program will:
- Earn 4 hours of transferable college credit
- Visit more than a dozen historic sites and museums throughout Virginia
- Develop college-level analytical reading and writing abilities
- Learn effective time management
- Experience college life in a controlled setting
- Interact with professional historians and archaeologists
- Become friends with students from across the country and all over the world
Additionally, NIAHD remains committed to our students even after they leave the program. With the help of our alumni and friends, we have developed a network of historians, archaeologists,curators, and public historians who can provide internship opportunities for students and young professionals to develop their skills and talents.
The NIAHD Philosophy
The National Institute of American History & Democracy (NIAHD) is dedicated to the study and preservation of American history, material culture, architectural history, archaeology, and public history. All of our programs are designed to teach students how to analyze written documents, objects, buildings, landscapes, and oral stories for the most in-depth understanding of history. It is our belief that history should not only be studied; it should be experienced, which is why our courses often include site visits that take students directly to the places where history happened.