The Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences is committed to making professional development funds available to all Arts & Sciences faculty. Grants are awarded consistent with the contractual obligations of the applicant in the areas of research, instruction, or service.
Grants from the A&S Faculty Grants Fund:
- Are available to all continuing faculty in A&S to fund projects and events
- Encourage risk, creativity, and unexpected outcomes
- Support our academic mission by creating and disseminating knowledge and serving our community
A&S faculty are invited to submit a proposal for funding using the form provided.
An A&S Faculty Grants Committee (FGC), chaired by the A&S Vice-Dean for Graduate Studies and Research and consisting of faculty recommended by the Faculty Affairs Committee, Council of Chairs and Program Directors, and faculty-development centers such as the CLA and STLI, will consider proposals and make funding recommendations to the Dean.
The 2021-22 funding cycle has three deadlines:
- Fall cycle: September 15 (funds available October 15)
- Spring cycle: December 1 (funds available January 15)
- Summer cycle: April 1 (funds available May 15)
Expenses for an approved project that spans more than one fiscal year will be covered in the fiscal year they are incurred.
Proposals will be evaluated for alignment with all available A&S fund types (e.g., private gifts, local, E&G). Candidates will be notified of the outcome within 4 weeks after the proposal deadline.
Following completion of the project or event, funded faculty are required to provide a report of no more than 400 words that describes the outcomes. This material, as well as information about numbers of applications, funding decisions, and outcomes, will be reported annually to the Faculty of Arts & Sciences.