Jennifer and Devin Murphy have endowed an award to support faculty research by providing salary support. The Dean of Arts & Sciences has designated this endowment to honor outstanding integration of faculty research with teaching involving either or both undergraduates or graduate students. The projects eligible for recognition in the awards include honors theses, independent studies, faculty research projects involving students, masters theses, or doctoral dissertations. Examples of the integration of research and teaching might include, but are not limited to:
- innovative integration of research into lecture or seminar courses;
- creative mentorship of students in independent studies, honors, masters, or dissertations;
- superior involvement of students in faculty research projects;
- leadership of community-based or service learning projects that creatively involve students in research.
Each award carries a $3,000 one-time payment in each of two years.
Awards will be given in sequence: in the first year, to a humanities or arts faculty member; in the second year, to a social sciences faculty member; and in third year, to a natural sciences faculty member, after which the rotation will begin again. There will always be two Murphy award recipients, one in the first year of his/her term, and the other in the second year of his/her term.
- Tenured Arts & Sciences faculty will be eligible.
- Nominations from chairs and directors or their designee, such as an associate chair or personnel committee, will consist of:
- a letter of recommendation which will include discussion of the nominee’s successful integration of teaching and research, and
- a C.V. of the candidate that includes information about research with students.
- Under normal circumstances, the candidate will not be informed of his or her nomination.
- Selection will be based on demonstrated success in integrating teaching and research with either or both undergraduates and graduate students, and will be made by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences in consultation with the other A&S deans.
- The Murphy Award stipend will begin in the subsequent academic year.
- Nominations are due by email to the Arts & Sciences Dean’s office by the date specified in the call for nominations.
- Email letter of nomination and C.V. as one PDF file with email subject line: Nom Murphy: LastName.