William and Mary is delighted to host the 2016 Colonial Academic Alliance Undergraduate Research Conference. Welcome to all the student presenters from The College of Charleston, Drexel University, Elon University, Hofstra University, James Madison University, Towson University, and The University of North Carolina Wilmington.
The following student research presentations, on Saturday, April 16, are free and open to the public.
Click on the links to read the abstracts.
Oral Presentation Session A – 10:00-11:15 a.m.
Blow Memorial Hall, Room 333
- Anisha Sunkerneni, Biological Sciences, Drexel: Epigenetic Control of Tip60 Cognition Linked Gene Targets in a Drosophila Alzheimer's Disease Model
- Will Vesely, Geology, Charleston: Urbanization Impact on the Nature of Dissolved Organic Carbon
- Salma El-Behaedi, Biology, UNCW: Modification of a Flavobacterium johnsoniae Suicide Vector for Rapid Screening in an Allelic Exchange System
- Kevin Nelson, Physics and Computer Science, William & Mary: Time Projection Chamber Calibration in the LArIAT Experiment
Blow Memorial Hall, Room 334
- Ameya Benegal, Economics, Elon: The Effects of Armed Conflicts on the Incidence Rates of Infectious Diseases
- Hunter Blain, Economics and Political Science, Hofstra: May it Please the Taxpayer: The Cost of the Right to a Trial by Jury
- Forest Krueger, Economics and Mathematics, Towson: Family Size and the Cognitive Ability of the First Child
- Maryum Alam, Political Science and Biology, Hofstra: When Does Counterinsurgency Work? An Analysis of Counterinsurgency Campaigns after 1945
Oral Presentation Session B – 2:00-3:15 p.m.
Blow Memorial Hall, Room 333
- Michelle Torelli, Chemical & Biological Engineering, Drexel: Hybridization of Transition Metal Carbides (MXene) and Oxdes for High Performance Li-lon Storage
- Kevin Pyszka, Chemistry, James Madison: Stream Acid Mitigation Plan for Two Jefferson National Forest Streams
- Stephanie Perez, Marine Biology, UNCW : Silicon requirements in Coccolithophore species with silicon transport-like proteins (SITL)
- Merci Best, Neuroscience, William & Mary: Examining the role of Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP) signaling in germ cells during Drosophila testis stem cell niche formation
Blow Memorial Hall Room 334
- Hanna Elmgren, English, Elon: The Silence Inheritance: Stories – An Expliration of the Influence of Gender on Character
- Felicia Essien, English and Secondary Education, Towson: Marionette Masâ€™
- Danielle Cox, History, Charleston: Air Raid Wardens: Bridging the Gap between American Civilians and the War
- Lily Takahashi, Psychology, James Madison: Low-Level Factors that Impact Human Attention Capture During the First Year of Life
Poster Presentations are in Blow Memorial Hall, Room 201
Poster Session A, 8:30-9:45 a.m.
- Cecily Basquin, Psychology, Elon: English-as-a-Second Language Eyewitnesses: Interview Misunderstandings and Resolutions
- Kathleen Booth, Public Health, Charleston: Communicating Reproduction: A Qualitative Analysis of Postpartum Contraceptive Choice
- Chad Cunningham, Biomedical Engineering, Hofstra: Semi-Automated Electro-Mechanical Wound-Closure Device.
- Bernadette Deschaine, Biology, William & Mary: Exploring Strain Interactions in Yeast Biofilms
- Arnrow Domingo, Psychology, Hofstra: Effects of Empathy on Risk/Reward Decision-Making
- Jason Ferguson, Physics, James Madison: Searching With the Large Binocular Telescope for Accreting Supermassive Black Holes in Bulgeless Galaxies
- Daniel Foyt, Biomedical Engineering, Hofstra: Effects of Modified PEG Scaffold-Immobilized Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor C and Chondromodulin-1 on Endothelial Cells
- Jacob Green, Physics, James Madison: Exploring Long-Term Variability in Active Galactic Nuclei via Monte Carlo Simulations of Optical Spectra
- Jessica Hinson, Biology, Charleston: Effects of Two Antidepressants, Fluoxetine and Sertraline, and their Photodegradants on Southern Toad (Anaxyrus terrestris) Tadpoles
- Daroon Jalil, Psychology, James Madison: Studying the Effect of Foreign Accent on Serial Recall through Error Analysis
- Aysha Khan, Mathematics, UNCW: Signaling Models in Open-Market, Cooperative Settings: an Application of Game Theory to Islamic Finance
- Eva Lopez, Environmental Biology, Towson: Breaking the Dormancy Period of Oplismenus undulatifolius (Wavyleaf Basketgrass)
- Hannah Manzi, Public Health, Charleston: Formative Research to Develop an Empirically Grounded Collegiate Recovery Program
- Sarah Margulis, Philosophy, Drexel: Who teaches us what's right: Can virtue be taught in a classroom?
- Erin Meyer, Marine Biology, UNCW: Iodine and temperature stimulates reproduction and basal metabolism in jellyfish polyps.
- Abigail Mudd, Chemistry, Drexel: "A little medicine, a little neeb": Interactions between traditional and conventional paradigms
- Maya Novak-Cogdell, Spanish, Charleston: Alternatives to Gendered Personal Pronouns in Spanish
- Allessandra Orrego, Health Sciences, Drexel: The effect of exercise on the inflammatory response and the development of neuropathic pain after cervical injury
- Allison Piotrowski, Psychology, James Madison: Does Passion Predict Performance And Enjoyment in an Interteaching-Based Course?
- Brandon Posner, Economics, William & Mary: Life as a Number: A Study of the Value of Statistical Life Year of College Students
- Davis Richardson, Linguistics, William & Mary: Gay Men's Language in Italy: In-Group Perceptions and Attitudes
- Brittany Schreiber, Marketing / Management, Hofstra: Trust in Social Media
- Lauren Shaver, Exercise Science, Elon: Effects of drinking vs rinsing with water on physiological and affective response during a 15-km running session
- Emileigh Shoemaker, Physics, Towson: A Baysian Method for Finding Galaxies that Cause Quasar Absorption Lines
- Evan Skloot, Psychology, Elon: Comparing the Efficacy of Leadership Development Programs to Other Experiential Collegiate Activities
- David Smith, Computer and Information Sciences, Towson: The Design of a Repository Backed Automated Presumptive Drug Test Evaluation Platform
- Jane Tong, Biological Sciences, Drexel: Cytoplasmic sequestration and autophagic degradation of HER2 by small molecule Sigma1 modulators
- Cynthia Weidman, Nursing, Towson: Magnesium and Beneficial Microbes May Reduce Chronic Disease and Associated Health Care Costs
Poster Presentations are in Blow Memorial Hall, Room 201
Poster Session B, 2:00-3:15 p.m.
- David Boyle, Chemistry, James Madison: Adsorption and Reactivity of Ethanol on Au(111)-Based Inverse Model Catalysts
- Nicholas Bromhead, Electrical Engineering, Drexel: Optimizing Production and Performance of Electroluminescent Fibers by Extrusion Methods
- Lauren Brown, Exercise Science, Elon: Effect of Dual-Task on Turning Characteristics while Walking Among Collegiate Athletes
- Anastasia Cassisi, Global Studies, Hofstra: Justice for All? An Analysis of Police Brutality in the United States, England and Canada
- Daniel Corbin, Chemistry, James Madison: The Synthesis and Characterization of Polymerized Cobalt Selenide Clusters with Photovoltaic Applications
- Derek Detweiler, Oceanography, UNCW: An in situ study of seasonal dissolved organic carbon and nutrient fluxes from a Spartina alterniflora salt marsh in North Carolina
- Emily Diaz, Biology, Hofstra: Differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells through inducing factors sequestered into collagen-polyethylene glycol gels
- Raghda El-Behaedi, Anthropology, UNCW: In Their Cups?: Background lipids in shell as a basis for analyzing shell cup residues
- Sarina Etheridge, Astrophysics, Charleston: Contrasting Magnetohydrodynamic Turbulence with Alpha-Viscosity in Black Hole Accretion
- Sam Fink, Geology, Charleston: Classification and Change Detection of Landuse: Landover Types in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands Using NASA's Landsat's MSS, TM, ETM+ and OLI Satellite Data
- David Giordano, Exercise Science, UNCW: An Exploration of the Easy Breather Therapy Table for the Management of COPD Using Healthy Volunteers
- Taylor Harbold, Statistics, UNCW: Zip Codes and Neural Networks: Machine Learning for Handwritten Number Recognition
- Kathleen Hupfeld, Exercise Science, Elon: Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (Tdcs) to Brocaâ€™S Area: Persisting Effects On Non-Verbal Motor Behaviors
- Natasha King, Marketing and Environmental Science, William & Mary: Creative Nonfiction from the San Juan Islands
- Thomas Le, Psychology and English, William & Mary: The Effect of a Caloric Preload on Restrained Eaters' Attention Bias to Food
- Pierre Llanos, Biomedical Engineering, Hofstra: Semi-Automated Electro-Mechanical Wound-Closure Device
- John Loughton, Music, William & Mary: Composition and Recording of Oceanology
- Sara McMillan, Psychology, James Madison: Exploring the Associations among College Students Self-Reported Resilience, Coping Behaviors, Goal Orientation, and Passion for Academics
- Joshua Milstein, Psychology, Towson: Comparing Neurophysiological Damage and Behavioral Deficits in Cuprizone-Exposed Mice
- Valerie Niemann, Chemical Engineering, Drexel: Electrocatalytic Activity of Sulfides
- Luc O'Brien, Applied Mathematics, Towson: 3D Volumes of Neighborhood Complexes
- Philip Phan, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Bioinformatics, Towson: Associations between Vasodilatory Capacity, Physical Activity, and Sleep among Younger and Older Adults
- Rachel Policke, Chemistry, James Madison: Elucidation and Characterization of the Ig59 Domain of Obscurin
- Lauren Prosper, Anthropology and Philosophy, Drexel: Grassroots Participatory Research: Give and Go Athletics
- Nicole Razor, Psychology, Elon: Influences of Psychological Factors on Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
- Sierra Small, Public Health, Charleston: The Impact of Demographic Variables on the Acquisition of HIV and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Nicole Speth, Classics, Hofstra: Female Homoeroticism in the Roman Empire: How Many Licks Does it Take to get to the Disruption of a Phallocentric Model of Sexuality?
- Jordan Stanley, English, Elon: Disorded Eating Discovered: Using Creative Nonfiction to Unravel a Familiar Past
- Sarah Talamantez-Lyburn, Chemistry, Towson: Synthesis and Characterization of Cobalt Nanostructures for Electro-Catalytic Applications
|Contrasting Magnetohydrodynamic Turbulence with Alpha-Viscosity in Black Hole Accretion|