Sharpe vans are available for use by faculty, employees and students in fulfilling the stated mission of the Sharpe Community Scholars Program (to support the development of select first-year students through the integration of academic studies, research and community engagement) and the transportation needs of faculty and students who are teaching and learning through Engaged Scholarship programs beyond the first year as approved.
This resource is not available for use by individuals or departments outside of the Sharpe Community Scholars Program and the academic unit of the Charles Center.
All van resources are subject to the William and Mary Vehicle Use policy, the William and Mary Honor Code, and additional policies imposed by the Sharpe Program.
Driver Training, Eligibility and Authorization
Students must be 18 years or older to drive the Sharpe vehicles. Students must be 19 years or older to drive the larger 12 passenger vehicle.
- All (faculty, staff, and student) drivers MUST BE VAN CERTIFIED by the College of William and Mary Campus Police prior to ever driving a Sharpe van. Drivers can become certified by going to the campus police web page (link below) and complete the Van Driver Training form. The form must be returned to the William & Mary Police Department (located on Ukrop Way near Morton Hall, Jones Hall, and the Miller School of Business). The police department will arrange a date and time for your van training. You must attend your assigned van training in order to drive a Sharpe vehicle.
- Faculty, staff, and students must complete and provide a Driver Authorization form to Jabria Craft, Charles Center Administrative Coordinator. If you have previously completed a form and keep record of it in another office, you must provide sufficient information for our verification. You will be required to sign a release stating you understand the responsibilites and have met the required qualifications for using one of the Sharpe vehicles when you pick up the keys before your rental.
Please fill out the Sharpe Van Request Form to request a van reservation at least 5 business days prior to trip. Once submitted, you will get a response with further instructions. You must recieve confirmation for any van usuage.
Key Pick Up and Parking
Van keys are to be picked up and returned to Christine Azznara in Blow Memorial Hall, Room 262 within 24 hours of vehicle use, between 9am-Noon and 1pm-4pm. No keys will be given out between the hours of noon to 1pm. The first time you pick up the keys make sure you bring the appropriate Authorization Form (link below) and your Driver’s License. All vans are parked in the W&M Hall Lot and must be parked there upon return, including trips that return later than 4 p.m. during the week or on a weekend day. Driving the van for any non-Sharpe related purpose will be a violation of the Honor Code and the W&M Vehicle Use Policy. Return the keys immediately on the next business day to Christine Azznara.
Gas and Vehicle Maintenance
Taking care of the Sharpe vans is very important. Always throw away your trash and clean up after yourself. When returning the keys, let Christine Azznara know how much gas is remaining. If there is ever an accident or problem, there is a van safety packet inside the van outlining exactly what to do.
Things to remember:
- Try to reserve the vans at least a week ahead of time to ensure their availability for your group.
- Multiple students in your seminar/group should be van certified; it will make things easier and run smoother to have a back-up driver.
- Always drop off and return keys in a timely manner so that other folks have access and we maintain integrity to our commitments with our community partners.
- Be safe! Do not text, talk on your cell phone, etc. while driving.