The Truman Scholarship provides up to $30,000 in funding to students pursuing graduate degrees in public service fields. Students must be college juniors at the time of selection.
The Truman Foundation seeks future "change agents" who aspire to leadership positions in federal, state, or local governments or in the not-for-profit and education sectors where they can influence public policies and change public programs. Criteria for selecting Truman Scholars are mainly:
- extensive records of public and community service,
- commitment to careers in government or elsewhere in the public sector,
- desire to influence public policies or education programs, and
- outstanding leadership potential and communication skills.
Campus Nomination Process
Overview: Interested William & Mary students must complete and submit the campus application by the campus deadline. The campus Truman Committee will review the campus applications and invite selected candidates to submit a full-application. (In order to access the online application, students must receive login credentials from the campus Director of National Fellowships.) The campus Truman Committee will invite the selected candidates to interview and name the endorsed candidates following interviews. Endorsed candidates will have the opportunity to revise their essays before the national deadline in early February.Application Format: The campus application is completed through Tribe Forms (linked at the bottom of this page). The full application is completed via Truman’s online application platform, only after an invitation to apply is sent to the student from the Director of National Scholarships.
Deadlines and Timeline:
- November 1 at midnight: Campus Application Deadline (Note: the Tribe Form is lengthy, so make sure you take a look at the questions to begin preparing your answers long before the actual campus deadline.)
- Late November: Committee will review campus applications and invite qualified students to submit the full Truman application materials. These students will have until early January to complete the full application. After the committee reviews the full applications and completes campus interviews, the campus nominees will be selected. The nominees will have several weeks to revise their application materials ahead of the national deadline.
Nominations: William & Mary has the opportunity to nominate up to four Truman candidates who have spent all of undergrad at W&M. In addition, William & Mary may nominate up to three juniors who spent their first one or two years at another institution. The candidates are chosen by a committee of faculty, and all nomination decisions are final.
National Application Process
The national deadline is February 4, 2020. All students must meet the campus deadline (posted above) in order to be eligible for endorsement by the national deadline. Learn more about the Truman Scholarship including details about the program, requirements for applicants, and application tips for interested students.