The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry M. Goldwater, who served his country for 56 years as a soldier and statesman, including 30 years of service in the U.S. Senate. The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a continuing source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields. Each scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
To be eligible for a nomination, applicants should be a sophomore or junior intending to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering. Review the full elibility criteria on the Goldwater website.
Campus Nomination Process
Overview: Applications are submitted at a campus level first, and a committee of faculty select the nominees. There are no interviews for the Goldwater nomination. Potential applicants should contact their departmental representatives if they have questions:
- Biology: Josh Puzey, [[jrpuzey]], 221-1608, ISC 3285
- Chemistry: Doug Young, [[dyoung01]], 221-2539, ISC 2037
- Computer Science: Weizhen Mao, [[wxmaox]], 221-3471, McGlothlin-Street 114
- Geology: Nick Balascio, [[nbalascio]], 221-2880, McGlothlin-Street 304
- Kinesiology and Health Sciences: Zach Conrad, [[zconrad]], 221-2037, Adair Hall 303B
- Mathematics: Gexin Yu, [[gyu]], 221-2040, Jones Hall 127
- Physics: Josh Erlich, [[jxerli]], 221-3763, Small 332 B
- Physics: Irina Novikova, email@example.com, 221-3693, Small 251
Application Format: The first required step for students interested in applying is to complete a Student Profile and Pre-Application through Goldwater’s online application portal (applications open in early September). Once you submit the Goldwater Student Profile and Pre-Application (due by the campus deadline, but processed on an ongoing basis up to the campus deadline), these materials will be reviewed to see if you will be invited to submit a full application for the committee to review. After the full applications are reviewed, you will be notified if you were selected for a campus nomination.
Deadlines and Timeline:
- Before and up to Sunday, November 15 at 11:59 p.m.: Campus (Student Profile and Pre-Application) Deadline: The campus application process involves completing and submitting the Student Profile and Pre-Application available through Goldwater’s online application portal. Applicants are encouraged to submit before the campus deadline, if possible. Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis if they have been selected to move forward in the process.
- Late November - December: Selected applicants who met the campus application deadline will be invited to continue in the process, which will involve submitting additional Goldwater application materials by a December deadline. (All students who complete and submit the student profile and pre-application by the campus deadline will be contacted by the Director of National Scholarships regarding next steps and relevant internal deadlines.)
Nominations: William & Mary has the opportunity to nominate four students for the Goldwater Scholarship. As of 2020, a fifth student can be nominated if they are a transfer student.
National Application Process
The national deadline is January 29, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Central Time. All students must meet the campus deadline (posted above) in order to be eligible for endorsement by the national deadline. Learn more about the Goldwater Scholarship including important dates, announcements, and FAQs for applicants.