The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry M. Goldwater, who served his country for 56 years as a soldier and statesman, including 30 years of service in the U.S. Senate. The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a continuing source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields. Each scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
To be eligible for a nomination, applicants should be a sophomore or junior intending to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering. Review the full elibility criteria on the Goldwater website.
Campus Nomination Process
Overview: William & Mary can nominate up to four undergraduates for this award. Applications are submitted at a campus level first, and a committee of faculty select the nominees. There are no interviews for the Goldwater nomination. Potential applicants should contact their departmental representatives:
- Biology: Josh Puzey, [[jrpuzey]], 221-1608, ISC 3285
- Chemistry: Doug Young, [[dyoung01]], 221-2539, ISC 2037
- Computer Science: Andreas Stathopolous, [[andreas]], 221-3483, McGlothlin-Street 104-B
- Geology: Brent Owens, [[beowen]], 221-1813, McGlothlin-Street 214
- Mathematics: Gexin Yu, [[gyu]], 221-2040, Jones Hall 127
- Physics: Irina Novikova, [[inovikova]], 221-3693, Small 251
Application Format: The first required step for students interested in applying is to complete a Student Profile and Pre-Application through Goldwater’s online application portal. Once you submit the Goldwater pre-application (by the campus deadline), your application will be reviewed to see if you will be invited to submit a full application for the committee to review. After the full applications are reviewed, you will be notified if you were selected for a campus nomination.
Deadlines and Timeline:
- November 17 at midnight: Campus Application Deadline: The campus application process requires completing and submitting the Student Profile and Pre-Application through Goldwater’s online application portal. A few weeks after the campus application deadline, all applicants will be notified if they have been selected to move forward in the process.
- December - January: Selected applicants who met the campus application deadline will be invited to continue in the process, which will involve submitting additional Goldwater application materials by a December deadline. All additional dates and details will be sent directly to those students by the Director of National Scholarships.
National Application Process
The national deadline is January 31 at 5:00 p.m. Central Time. All students must meet the campus deadline (posted above) in order to be eligible for endorsement by the national deadline. Learn more about the Goldwater Scholarship including important dates, announcements, and FAQs for applicants.