The James C. Gaither Junior Fellows program, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace offers approximately 12-14 one-year fellowships to graduating seniors and individuals who have graduated during the past academic year who desire careers in international affairs. James C. Gaither Junior Fellows work as full-time paid research assistants to Carnegie’s senior scholars at the Carnegie Endowment in Washington, DC.
Applications are judged on the quality of the written essay, related academic study and/or work experience, grades, recommendations, and personal interviews.
Campus Nomination Process
Overview: Applicants must email the Director of National Fellowships after October 1 to request a copy of the application (they are typically available at the beginning of October). Applicants must upload the following components to the Charles Center Box folder (with materials labeled: lastname_first_materialtype) by the campus deadline of Sunday, November 15 at 11:59 p.m.:
- An application form (available after October 1)
- An essay of one page or less, double-spaced, on why you would like to become a Junior Fellow
- A resume / C.V. (1-2 pages)
- Two letters of recommendations (these must be emailed by the recommender, signed and on letterhead); * the letters writers should email the letters to the Charles Center inbox email@example.com by the campus deadline
- One copy of an unofficial transcript that includes fall course registration
- One copy of an essay of no more than three (3) typewritten, double-spaced pages on one of the topics listed on pages 2 and 3 of the program application.
After the application components have been received, based on the number of applicants, a campus endorsement process will be outlined. The campus nomination process can vary year to year and is at the discretion of the Director of National Fellowships.
Application Format: The application is completed entirely on PDF and Word documents and uploaded to to the Charles Center box folder. There is no online application portal for this program.
Endorsements: William & Mary can nominate up to two students for the James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program.
National Application Process
The national deadline is typically around mid-January 2021 (details will be available from Gaither after October 1). All students must meet the campus deadline in order to be eligible for endorsement by the national deadline. Learn more about the James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program including eligibility requirements, placement details, and previous award winners.