The Charles Center is broadly tasked with providing resources and services to support the teaching mission of Arts & Sciences faculty. Standing initiatives include:
- May Seminars, in which a group of faculty members
to develop a specific curriculum or teaching improvement. collaborate
- Mellon faculty grants to enhance a curriculum so that students can engage in faculty-directed, hands-on critical inquiry and discovery.
- The Charles Center supports the development of courses with a Study Away component.
- Faculty, staff, and students may apply throughout the academic year for mini-grants through the Community of Scholars. The grants are intended to encourage intellectual interaction between faculty and students outside the classroom.
- Each fall the Charles Center invites Arts & Sciences faculty to suggest broadly important books as candidates for faculty reading groups.
The Charles Center also sponsors the University Teaching Project, which is open to all William and Mary faculty by