Events Department Intern, J. Paul Getty Trust
Locations: The Getty Center, Los Angeles and The Getty Villa, Malibu
Length of Internship: 10 weeks
The Events Department internship is an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience working in the fields of Events and Facilities within a Museum and multi-program environment committed to the arts. This internship is ideal for someone interested in event planning (primarily Museum Education related events) and museum operations. This position will interface with various staff in the Events Department, Facilities Division, and across other Getty programs. Majority of the internship will take place at The Getty Center in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, with select days at The Getty Villa in Malibu.
About The Getty
The J. Paul Getty Trust is the world's largest cultural and philanthropic organization dedicated to the visual arts. Through ambitious projects in Los Angeles and around the world—including conservation work, publications, exhibitions, grant initiatives, and training programs—we work to make a lasting difference in conservation practice, art historical research, and museology and to promote knowledge and appreciation of art among audiences of all ages. The Getty's four programs together offer unparalleled resources, commitment, and expertise across research, conservation, education, and digital innovation:
- The Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) advances the practice of art and cultural heritage conservation worldwide.
- The Getty Foundation supports the understanding and preservation of the visual arts through strategic grant initiatives around the world.
- The J. Paul Getty Museum (JPGM) collects, presents, conserves, and interprets great works of art.
- The Getty Research Institute (GRI) conducts pioneering research in art history and the humanities.
The Getty welcomes nearly 1.8 million visitors each year to two locations, the Getty Center in West Los Angeles and the Getty Villa in Malibu.
The intern will be exposed to event logistics and planning at a museum campus, as it relates to the facilities management and operations. The Events department is within the Facilities Division of the J. Paul Getty Trust, which includes other service departments such as Audio Visual, Electrical, Grounds, Logistics and manages Food Service and Custodial contracts. The Events Department works closely with Visitor Services, Security, and clients/programmers in the Getty Museum (JPGM), Getty Research Institute (GRI), Getty Conservation Institute (GCI), Getty Foundation, and J. Paul Getty Trust (umbrella for all programs).
The intern’s role will include:
- Supporting and observing the process and execution of events, primarily for Museum Education at The Getty Center (public lectures, teacher and family workshops, family audience programs, public programs such as Friday Flights and Saturdays off the 405) and other programs as needed (with Getty Research Institute, Getty Conservation Institute, Trust and external clients)
- Learning and documentation of event protocols for frequent/standard events
- Assist in department projects as they arise
During the application process, we would like to identify specific learning outcomes desired by the candidate to develop custom projects that may address them.
- Interest in learning event logistics
- Excitement in gaining experience in a museum setting
- Appreciation for educational programming (including K-12 audiences and general public)
- Experienced interpersonal skills and sense of customer service and tact (Events constantly interfaces with a variety of individuals)
- Flexibility in attitude and in scheduling to include weekends and evenings, as is the nature of events
- Excellent organizational skills with attentiveness to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to work in an office environment and respect for all team members
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database system experience
- Prior experience with events desired
- Good sense of humor preferred
- An appreciation for sunshine needed