The 2019 application deadline has been extended. Please contact email@example.com for more information
This spring, the Charles Center will select one William and Mary student for a summer 2019 internship with David Melding, AM in the National Assembly in Cardiff, Wales. The anticipated dates would be early June through end mid/end of July. The selected intern will be paid directly from the National Assembly.
Current W&M undergraduates in any major are eligible to apply. Strength of academic record and relevant experience will be considered as part of the selection process. Finalists will be interviewed and the intern will be announced as soon as possible after the deadline.
The application consists of:
- a 1-2 page letter of intent in which you a) explain why you are interested in this internship, b) discuss your qualifications and c) describe how it fits into your academic and/or professional goals
- a resume (2 pages maximum)
- 1-2 page unofficial transcript (can be a Banner print out)
- Name and contact information for a faculty reference
Contact [[cecraddock, Chelsie Craddock]] for questions.
Here are some projects that recent interns have worked on:
- review local press to prepare questions for Ministers and submit questions to Table Office
- update David Melding's website and Facebook account
- prepare briefs for questions for Ministers on topics such as equal pay in Wales; littering in public parks; wine production in Wales; Private Finance Initiative; historic religious sites; European convergence funding in South Wales; and coal and steel production in Wales
- took photographs of David Melding around the constituency for website and adverts
- conducted miscellaneous short-term research projects on topics such as comparing worldwide systems of education to Wales; Scottish responses to David Torrance's book Salmond Against the Odds, Legacy of Saunders Lewis; how to "grade" the performance of local councils; Victorial and Edwardian architecture preservation
- attended and reported on presentations about topics such as Valuing the Welsh Historic Environment; Big Lottery and Heritage Lottery Grants; Promoting Welsh Produce; The Role of Higher Education in Promoting Regional Economies
- analyzed and presented YouGov survey results to David and the Opposition Leader
- wrote articles for WalesHome.org on the political significance of Saunders Lewis; My Experience Learning Welsh; and Welsh political institutions from and American perspective
- wrote press releases on International Business Wales
- conducted long-term research projects on Federalism / the West Lothian Question and the History and Future of S4C