Area of SpecializationDevelopment Assistance for Health, Global Health, and Geospatial Impact Evaluations
Dr. Dolan's research examines the allocation of health aid within the context of effectiveness, efficiency, and equity. Through combining household panels with geographically-referenced data, Carrie’s research determines the contribution of health aid on key health outcomes. She earned a MPH in Epidemiology from Tulane University and a PhD in Healthcare Policy and Research from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine.
- Ph.D., Healthcare Policy and Research, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, 2017
- Certificate, Geographic Information Systems, Pennsylvania State University, 2011
- MPH, Epidemiology, Tulane University, 2004‐2005
- BS (Distinction) Community Health Education, Anthropology (Minor),
East Carolina University, 1997‐2000
- Foundations of Epidemiology (KINE 270)
- Health Policy (KINE 460)
- Independent Study (KINE 470, 471)
- Kinesiology and Health Sciences Research (KINE 480, 480)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Marty R, Dolan C, Runfola D, and Leu, M. "Taking the Health Aid Debate to the Subnational Level: The Impact and Allocation of Foreign Health Aid in Malawi.' BMJ Global Health 2, n0.1(2017):e000129
- Ickes S, Mahoney E, Roberts A, and Dolan C. "Parental Involvement in a School‐Based Child Physical Activity and Nutrition Program in Southeastern United States: A Qualitative Analysis of Parenting Capacities.' Health Promotion Practice 17, n0.2 (2016): 285‐296
- Mellor J, Dolan C, Rapoport R. Child Body Mass Index, Obesity, and Proximity to Fast Food Restaurants. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, 6(1):60‐68 February 2011
- Vasiliu O, Stover J, Mays M, Bissette J, Dolan C, Sirbu C. Providing Mailing Cost Reimbursements: The Effect on Reporting Timeliness of Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Virginia. Public Health Reports, 124 (supplement 2), 2009
- Stover J, Kheirallah K, Delcher P, Dolan C, Johnson L. Improving Surveillance of Sexually Transmitted Diseases through Geocoded Morbidity Assignment. Public Health Reports, 124 (supplement 2), 2009
- Dolan CB, Delcher C. Health Disparities: Poverty and HIV/STDs in Virginia. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 35 (12), December 2008
- Figueroa JP, Dolan CB, Dale D, Hileman SB, Weir SS. An Assessment of Sites Where Persons Go to Meet Sexual Partners in St. James, Jamaica Using the PLACE Method. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 34(6):410‐415, June 2007
Papers in Progress
- Dolan C, McCord G, Grepin K, BenYishay A, Tanner J. The Impact of an Insecticide Treated Bednet Campaign on All‐Cause Child Mortality: A Geospatial Impact Evaluation from the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Dolan, C. Pulling the Purse Strings: Political Preferences and Chinese Aid to Africa
- Dolan, C. How Health Aid and the Malaria Service Environment Affect Malaria Treatment: Findings from Malawi
Presentations and Peer Reviewed Abstracts
- Dolan C. All‐cause child mortality reductions associated with malaria bed net campaigns in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, October 2016.
- Dolan C. Anti‐Malaria Aid Effectiveness and Climate Conditions in Sub‐Saharan Africa. Southern Economic Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2015.
- Dolan C. Tracking Results in Global Health and the Post‐2015 Agenda. United Arab Emirates Ministry of International Cooperation and Development, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, May 2015.
- Dolan C. Geospatial Data, Tools and Research to Target and Evaluate Aid More Effectively. Institute for Disease Modeling at Intellectual Ventures. Seattle, Washington, March 2014.
- Dolan C. Does Location Matter? Proximity to Testing for HIV and Development Finance for Testing in Malawi. Poster Presentation at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Global Health Showcase. April 2014.
- Dolan C. Does Location Matter? Proximity to Development Finance for Testing and Testing for HIV. AidData 3.0 Launch. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Washington, DC, October 29, 2013.
- G Meredith, C Delcher, C Dolan, L Pessoa‐Brandã, B Roussel. Assessment of Available HIV Case Data to Determine the Ability of the Haiti National HIV Case Notification System to Estimate Disease Burden. XVIII International AIDS Conference, Vienna, Austria, 2010.
- Dolan C. Data Suppression Strategies Used During Surveillance Data Release by Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention Programs. 2007 National HIV/AIDS Surveillance Workshop. Atlanta, Georgia. December 6, 2007.
- Dolan C, Delcher C. Health Disparities: Poverty and HIV/STDs in Virginia. American Public Health Association 135th Annual Meeting. Washington, DC. November 3‐7, 2007.
- Delcher C, Dolan C, Stover J. Turning Data into Information‐An Event‐Driven Approach to Informatics Education. 5th Annual Public Health Information Network Conference. Atlanta, Georgia. August 23, 2007.
- Strickler E, Gandhi A, Dolan C. Transforming Data into Program Planning Recommendations: An Example from Recent Transgender Research. HIV Prevention and Leadership Summit. New Orleans, Louisiana. May 20‐23, 2007.
- Gandhi A, Dolan C. Developing an Effective Process for Determining Priority Populations. HIV Prevention and Leadership Summit. New Orleans, Louisiana. May 20‐23, 2007.
- Delcher C, Dolan C, Stover J. Strategic Aberration Monitoring System: Using Analysis, Visualization, and Reporting Mechanisms to Improve Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance. 4th Annual Public Health Information Network Conference. Atlanta, Georgia. September 25‐27, 2006.
- Dolan C, Vickery K, LaRoza A, Monaghan M, McKell K. Preparing to Deliver Disaster Services through Youth. 2001 National Community Volunteering and National Service Conference. Minneapolis, Minnesota. June 2001.
- Dolan C. Expanding the United Way Role in Crisis Response. 2001 United Way Community Leaders’ Conference. St. Louis, Missouri. May 17‐19, 2001.
Grants, Fellowships, and Scholarships
- $100,000, “Subnational variation in the costs and impacts of anti‐malaria interventions.”Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, with Ariel BenYishay, 2016‐2018.
- $46,175, “valuation of Anti‐Malaria Projects.”The World Bank Group, with Ariel BenYishay, 2015‐2016.
- $95,000, Virginia Commonwealth University PhD Fellowship, 2012‐2014
- $20,943, “arental engagement in school‐based nutrition and physical activity promotion programs in Williamsburg James City County Public Schools.”Williamsburg Community Health Foundation, with Scott Ickes, 2011‐2012.
- $270,000, “ntegration of HIV/AIDS Surveillance Data with a Geographic Information System (GIS).”Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with Chris Delcher and Jeff Stover, 2006‐2009.
- $120,000, “apacity Building.”Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006‐2008
- Health Outcomes and Health Determinants in the Historic Triangle. Schroeder Center for Health Policy, College of William and Mary; December 2012. Technical report funded by the Williamsburg Community Health Foundation.
- Understanding parental involvement in children’s nutrition and physical activity: A qualitative study among families in Williamsburg, VA; June 2012. Technical report funded by the Williamsburg Community Health Foundation.
- School Health Initiative Program (SHIP) 2011 Survey Report and BMI Analysis. Schroeder Center for Health Policy, College of William and Mary; June 2011. Technical report funded by the Williamsburg Community Health Foundation.
- Assessing Physical Activity in the Classroom in the Wellness Integration Program. Schroeder Center for Health Policy, College of William and Mary; June 2010. Technical report funded by the Williamsburg Community Health Foundation.
- Epidemiology Profile: HIV/AIDS in Virginia; 2007. Division of Disease Prevention, Virginia Department of Health. Technical report funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Priorities for Local AIDS Control Efforts (PLACE) in Jamaica: Monitoring AIDS Prevention at the Parish Level, St. James, 2003. Technical report funded by the United States Agency for International Development.
- Priorities for Local AIDS Control Efforts (PLACE) for Use in Border Areas of Lesotho and South Africa. Technical report funded by the United States Agency for International Development.
Honors and Awards
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society 2013
- Virginia Commonwealth University sponsored AAAS/Science Membership 2013
- Employee Recognition, Virginia Department of Health 2007
- Outstanding Graduate in Community Health Education 2000
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society 2000
- Artemis Leadership Award 2000
- Order of Omega Greek Honor Society 1999
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society 1999
- Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society 1998
- Health Promotion International, Review of International Organizations
- American Public Health Association Member (2016 to present)
- AcademyHealth Member (2013 to present)
- Virginia Health Commissioner Task Force on Obesity Prevention (2008‐2010)
- Virginia Department of Health Institutional Review Board (IRB) (2007‐2009)
- Virginia HIV Community Planning Group (2006‐2008)